The Vice President of Finance & Operations (VPFO) reports to and serves in an advisory capacity to the President / CEO,
Committee Chairs, and Board of Directors providing strategic leadership where needed. The VPFO is a member of the Senior
Leadership Team and is a strategic thought leader that embraces change for growth. The VPFO has strong business and financial
acumen and is accountable for the financial and risk management operations of the organization. The VPFO is responsible for
financial planning, financial reporting, budgeting, compliance, tax, treasury and accounting operations as well as IT Operations and
• Leads staff in areas of finance, human resources, data systems, and operations
• Brings strong financial leadership and excellence in all areas of finance
• Has the ability to examine and understand strategic business needs and develops financial plans to support those needs
• Provides financial analysis, forecasts and implications, and compliance review for strategic planning and initiatives.
• Monitors business performance with tracking tools, establishes correction measures as needed, and prepares detailed reports
for Board, Committees, management team, and staff
• Fulfills leadership role as a member of Senior Leadership Team.
Finance & Operations
• Manages and actively participates in month-end close cycle including: accounts receivable, accounts payable, grants
receivable, revenue/expenses, bank reconciliations, cash flow projections, etc.
• Creates and presents an accurate annual budget recognizing income and expenses by class and grant. Works in collaboration
with team to garner information, support, and commitment to execute the financial work plan. Prepares budget forecasts for
future organizational planning.
• Maintains integrity of all financial transactions. Requires that income recognized and expenses incurred comply with the
organization’s policies and procedures, United Way Worldwide, and state and federal laws. Creates and maintains financial
standards and internal control procedures to comply with GAAP and FASB standards. Maintains relationship with financial
institutions, makes deposits, audits and reconcile accounts and processes, etc.
• Provides financial statement analysis and recommends areas of opportunities to staff and peers. Reports statement variances
to President / CEO, Finance Committee, and staff.
• Reviews, reconciles, prepares, and submits accurate information for Financial Audit and Form 990. Works with auditors for
timely compliance with requests and achieves a clean audit opinion.
• Maintains integrity of data systems, information gathered and input, and processes to produce accurate data consistently.
• Oversees grant compliance as related to financial activity. Reviews grant applications, budgets, and relevance to mission of
• Works with team to reconcile grant income and expenses, adhering to grant award criteria and standards.
• Reviews organizational contracts seeking mutual agreement while protecting the reputation and assets of the organization.
Recommends action to President / CEO.
• Conducts risk assessment and recommends action to President / CEO as needed.
• Procures insurance coverage for worker’s compensation, D&O, EPLI, General Liability, and Property. Manages claims
processing as needed.
• Creates capital expenditures budget and manages capital related improvements.
• Maintains personal property inventory and depreciation schedule.
• Reviews and authorizes work as related to data management, information systems update, communications technology, etc.
• Maintains HR files including employee personnel files and annual compliance records/reports
• Responsible for preparation of offer of employment packages. Processes all hiring and benefits paperwork involved.
• Manages confidential information with integrity.
• Processes biweekly payroll for employees including compensation, expense reimbursements, deductions as allowed by
employee and law, PTO/holidays, garnishments, etc.
• Manages benefits in areas of medical insurance, HSA / FSA contributions, LTD, STD, ADD, Life, Vision, PTO, Leave, 401k
plan, and Employee Assistance Program. Provides staff with information regarding benefits upon hiring and during annual
meeting. Complies with laws and regulations, reporting benefits, form 5500, earned income, COBRA coverage, etc. Secures
specifications, quotes, reviews plans, and recommends benefit plan for approval. Refers employees to carriers as needed to
resolve questions and problems.
• Assists in the on-boarding of employees by producing new hire information packets and ensuring enrollment in systems.
• Performs HR related duties in conjunction with the President / CEO in areas of employee recognition and employee relations.
• Processes monthly benefits plan invoices for payment.
• Annually conducts open enrollment for employee benefit plans.
• Ensures that organization complies with employment law and mitigates risks associated with employment practices.
• Updates policy manual as needed to align with organizational and legal requirements.
• Creates and maintains systems for internal equity with skill set assessment, job banding, etc.
• Initiates/maintains continuation of benefits post-employment including COBRA coverage notification with employees and
• Maintains work flow and organization, prioritizing tasks to best meet the overall needs of the organization.
• Promotes United Way of Central Minnesota, its, Mission, Vision, Core Values, programs, and achievements to the public and
• Complies with all policies & procedures, participates in company meetings, events, and training, and represents the
organization in a professional manner.
• Performs other duties as required, assists co-workers as time permits, and performs duties as related to care of the facility,
maintaining a clean and safe work environment for all.
• Seeks professional development to enhance job performance and productivity.
• Ability to solve problems quickly and effectively.
• Highly organized with strong attention to detail.
• Honest approach to interpersonal relationships to ensure trust and confidentiality.
• Demonstrates the ability to share ideas and works well with others. Asks questions, provide feedback, and responds to others
in a way that shows compassion and attentiveness.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of all activities, duties, or responsibilities
that are required of the employee for this position. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time.
Finance & Related Software Systems
• Andar (CRM System) – No prior experience required as software is used exclusively by United Ways across the nation.
• Quickbooks (or similar preferred)
• Microsoft Excel (3+ year preferred)
• CPA Preferred
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting / Finance required; Masters Preferred
• Minimum five years of experience as a leader with financial accountability