Manager of Prospect Research
Manager of Prospect Research
Strategic Intelligence and Information Division
We partner to design, support, and grow systems that accelerate financial stability and upward mobility for individuals and families living in or near poverty and striving for a brighter future. Our vision is that Central Indiana will be a community where children, individuals and families thrive; neighbors care for each other; and we are proud of all our residents’ quality of life.
We pursue this vision in all we do as we ask our community to give, advocate and volunteer. We believe that vision can only be achieved if pursued with shared values, and therefore place great emphasis on building a team that will pursue this vision together with ICARE. This is an exciting time to be part of United Way of Central Indiana’s team as we embark on a new strategic framework that fosters innovation, builds community partnerships, and integrates across traditional functional areas.
United Way of Central Indiana recognizes that the key to success is a strong and cohesive team that works through shared values to achieve our mission. The Manager of Prospect Research is responsible for the management and implementation of prospect identification, pipeline development, prospect research, industry analysis, and relationship management. The Manager of Prospect Research also broadly manages portfolios by overseeing the moves management strategy, engagement plans, and appropriate accountability measures for fundraisers. Additional duties include providing actionable insight into donor behaviors through in-depth research and analysis and collaborating on projects that support the organization.
Position Duties & Responsibilities
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
- Develop strategy for proactive research that will guide donor-centric and data driven decision making related to prospects and donors.
- Identify, qualify, rate, and assign individual prospects in support of fundraising goals and objectives. Advise and provide guided recommendations for grant and corporate prospects.
- Provide prospect research to fundraisers who primarily work with leadership level ($1,000+) and major level ($5,000+) prospects.
- Utilize research tools to analyze individual wealth indicators, including salary, stock, real estate, and other assets, to determine overall financial capacity, wealth ratings and solicitation potential.
- Prepare and regularly maintain thorough, accurate and timely profiles on individuals, corporations and foundations as needed to support fundraising initiatives. Manage biographical records, utilizing methods such as daily news screenings, reviewing push technology/alerts, and donors lists to identify new individual, corporate and foundation prospects and monitor current prospects.
- Manage research request queue and respond to requests in a timely manner.
- Provide strategic consultative partnership to Chief Strategic Intelligence & Information Officer and Chief Fundraising & Engagement Officer that includes prospect strategies, analysis and reporting related to major and transformational donors.
- Manage updates to individual donor portfolios, prospect assignments and asks for fundraising team members within the CRM database
- Oversee the development of policies and procedures around prospect pipeline management and activity.
- Lead a moves management system, including establishing baselines and metrics for movement and activity.
Research & Projects:
- Collaborate and regularly meet with other Strategic Information team members for donor surveys and other cross-departmental projects.
- Collaborate and regularly meet with Marketing & Communications team members for research, evaluation and targeting of donor communications.
- Participate in on-going professional development activities as relevant, to maintain and enhance skills and abilities and stay abreast of current prospect management trends and research techniques.
- Development of best practices in prospect research & management in order to recommend ways to create efficiencies.
Annual Goals: Achieve established goals. Work with the Senior Director, Fundraising Research & Analytics to ensure goals reflect and align and contribute to the broader goals of the organization.
Flexibility: UWCI is evolving with our changing external environment. Flexibility and adaptability are key attributes for this position. A willingness to take on additional duties to ensure the success of the team is essential.
Performs special assignments and other work, on an as-needed basis
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job function satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the basic knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The individual in this role must display the highest level of integrity and confidentiality. United Way also values innovative thinking, and a successful candidate will be a self-starter who can work within the team to achieve goals and objectives. The individual should have effective communication skills, attention to detail and organization, and flexibility and adaptability. The individual will also maintain knowledge of trends in his/her area of responsibility and reviews literature to understand key issues.
Advanced analytical skills to synthesize a high volume of information from a variety of sources and perform complex analysis to interpret financial data and individual wealth indicators, identify philanthropic patterns, and relationships among individuals, corporations, and foundations
Routinely writes complex detailed reports and business correspondence. Routinely presents information and responds to questions from groups of managers (may include Top Management), clients, customers, and the public.
This individual makes day-to-day and/or daily decisions used to support strategic direction. Decisions often require thought and are structured. Decisions tend to be short term (one year or less) and usually low to moderate cost.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required, three to five years of successful prospect research experience, library science, information management, analytics, or another related field.
- Experience using a CRM database, iWave, WealthEngine, LexisNexis and/or other prospect research software is required.
- Excellent written communication skills and a clear, concise writing style are key skills to this position.
- Significant aptitude with research methods and experience with computers and relational databases
- Ability to follow ethical standards, utilize discretion in dealing with sensitive and confidential information.
*Work experience may substitute for education requirements on a case-by-case basis.
The physical demands described here are general representations of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, reach with hands and arms, talk, and hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to touch and handle objects. The employee frequently stands or walks.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Office setting, with sustained use of a computer.
- The noise level in the work environment is minimal to moderate.
Maintains personal/professional competency and works to create an environment of courtesy, respect, enthusiasm, and a positive attitude in all interactions both internal and external to the organization.
Position Leader: Fundraising Research & Analytics Senior Director
Position Leads: Interns
FLSA Status: Exempt, Full-time
Salary Range: 60’s to Mid 60’s, depending on experience
Benefits: Complete Benefits Package Available
Equal Opportunity Employer
Please apply at uwci.org/careers
This position description does not constitute a contract of employment or a guarantee of any terms or conditions of employment. UWCI employees are employed on an at-will basis. In addition, nothing in this position description restricts UWCI’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time.