Job Title: Event Manager Job Grade: 26
Department: Marketing and Communications Reports to: Director of Marketing
Date Prepared: January 2024 FLSA Status: Exempt
POSITION OVERVIEW: Manage, plan and coordinate major United Way events. Ensure a strong event and brand presence for United Way at key community-wide functions. Oversee and execute special projects. Continue to identify and cultivate business, community and individual partnerships that grow the support of United Way.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS and EXPECTED OUTCOMES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
EVENTS MANAGEMENT 80%
- Plan and implement United Way events, which includes: Annual Meeting, Community Campaign Kickoff, Community Campaign Closing Celebration, Bruncheon, Philanthropic 5 Awards, CIO Forum, Danishes & Diversity, Tocqueville Party, Spree, PhilanthroParty, Pride Homecoming, Volunteer Recognition Breakfast, and other events as needed.
- Project management: locations, timelines, logistics and all event details.
- Manage all potential venue and vendor communication throughout the planning process including menu and room needs.
- Secure, coordinate, and communicate event support responsibilities and logistic needs with staff assigned to help with day of event execution.
- Manage audio-visual services and address needs for successful event execution.
- Coordinate with designer on invite, signage, presentation, and other design needs.
- Secure event entertainment as needed.
- Coordinate invitation and mailing lists for events.
- Oversee event attendance.
- Direct floor space layout and assigned seating needs.
- Manage all guest relations, staff support coordination, event entertainment and logistics the day of the event – troubleshooting any challenges to ensure that the event runs smoothly.
- Implement enhancements that promote fiscal responsibility.
- Align all events with United Way strategic objectives.
- Conduct post-event analysis and provide recommendations for improvement.
- In addition, ensure a strong, well-executed brand presence at key community and business events where United Way is present. Partnership opportunities may include sporting events, golf outings, or business functions.
- Partner with event workgroup during weekly meetings that include key staff members plus oversee event process documentation.
- Attend donor network team meetings.
MARKETING & BRANDING SUPPORT 20%
- Maintain all event pages of the United Way website - including calendar listings, evergreen event pages, and web requests as needed.
- Facilitate annual ordering of branded merchandise for staff, board of directors, and campaign cabinet.
- Research and select thank you gifts for campaign cabinet, temporary staff, and others as needed.
- Support video production for campaign closing event needs including annual Give & Win Sweepstakes and Million Dollar Company videos.
- Procure and research event related supplies – including easels, table clothes, signage, banners, backdrops, centerpieces, etc.
- Develop positive relationships with key donors and stakeholders.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES No direct supervisory responsibility.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Requires a bachelor's degree from a four-year college or university in marketing, communications or related field and at least 5 years of directly related meeting/event experience or equivalent combination. Nonprofit experience a plus.
- Demonstrated success in various business and marketing written communications.
- Demonstrates an understanding of brand management and experiential marketing.
- Demonstrated success in customer service excellence, project management, and problem solving.
- Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to:
- Write in a prescribed style and format.
- Work in a complex environment using interpersonal skills.
- Communicate and work effectively with volunteers and others in the community representing a broad range of interests and background.
- Read, analyze and interpret complex materials.
- Respond to common inquiries or complaints from internal and external partners and customers. Good understanding of group dynamics and group facilitation skills.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical situations.
- Creative and results-oriented self-starter.
- Demonstrated excellence in verbal and written communication.
- Proven ability to:
- Understand, embrace and effectively articulate United Way strategic focus and priorities, brand, and community impact.
- Develop communication and marketing strategies that enhance United Way competitiveness in the charitable giving market and align with M&C division and overall United Way goals.
- Work well independently and in teams with staff and volunteers.
- Customize national marketing concepts and materials to local needs.
- Apply word processing and database management software concepts to practical situations.
- Work well in a deadline driven and fast-paced environment, balancing strategic concerns with day-to-day activities.
- Demonstrated skills in leading teams, preparing and managing project budgets, designing work plans, managing for results and supervising outside vendors.
- Ability to work independently and take initiative, proficient in the use of technology, ability to manage multiple projects at one time, thrives in fast paced environment.
- Define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Solve practical problems with a variety of variables in situation where only limited standardization exists.
- Interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit, stand and use hands to keyboard and write. The employee is occasionally required to stand and reach with hands and arms. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
AMERICANS WITH DISABALITIES
It is the policy of UWGMWC to comply with all relevant and applicable provisions of the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), as amended. UWGMWC will not discriminate against any qualified applicant with respect to any terms, privileges or conditions of employment based upon an individual’s physical or mental disability. UWGMWC will also make reasonable accommodation whenever and wherever possible for all employees or applicants with disabilities provided that the individual is otherwise qualified to safely perform the duties and assignments required by the job, and provided that any accommodation does not require significant difficulty or expense. UWGMWC’s policy of non-discrimination applies to all personnel and employment practices including, but not limited to, job application procedures, hiring, advancement, termination, compensation, job training and other terms, conditions and privileges of employment.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
It is the policy of UWGMWC to provide equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, veteran status or military service, or other non-merit factor or other legally protected characteristic. This applies to all recruiting, hiring, placement, training, promotion, compensation, transfers and other employment-related programs and personnel actions.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION STATEMENT:
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion is a core value at United Way of Greater Milwaukee & Waukesha County. We strive every day to enhance the culture of belonging and are passionate about building and sustaining an inclusive and equitable working environment. We believe this allows us to attract, retain the best possible colleagues to use their full gifts to serve our community. We are looking for other great colleagues who are excited about this important work.
This job description indicates the general nature and work level performed by employees within this position. It is not designed to be a comprehensive inventory of all duties and qualifications required. The duties and/or requirements of this position may be modified, added, or deleted at any time. Other duties may be assigned.
Required degree level
Years of experience
- 3 - 5 years of experience
- $51,000 to $60,000 per year