Chief Financial Officer
Maui United Way has stayed vital to our community since 1945 for good reason: we know how to put the right people together with the right resources to make the right things happen. We are working to address Maui’s most vital needs through the impact areas of Education, Income (sustainability) and Health. Our goal is to bring people, organizations and our community together around a common cause, a common vision, and a common path forward.
Maui United Way, a leading nonprofit organization dedicated to creating positive community impact, seeks a skilled and experienced Chief Financial Officer. As a vital team member, you will be crucial in advancing our mission to improve lives across Maui County.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The Chief Financial Officer will have primary day-to-day responsibility for planning, implementing, managing, and controlling all finance-related activities of the organization. They will report to the Chief Executive Officer and participate as a key member of the Executive Team. This position will directly influence and participate in the day-to-day operations, budgets, and long-range planning for Maui United Way. The Chief Financial Officer will also have overall responsibility for accounting, internal financial reporting, financial planning, budgeting, forecasting and analysis, tax and treasury.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty listed below at a satisfactory level:
- Works with senior leadership team to establish major economic/financial objectives and policies for the organization.
- Develops, analyzes and interprets statistical and accounting information to assess operating results in terms of performance against budget, cash flow projections and other matters bearing on the fiscal soundness and operating effectiveness of the organization.
- Prepare accurate and timely financial reports for the executive team and the Board of Directors.
- Coordinates and directs the preparation of the budget and financial forecasts for each department. Institutes and maintains other planning and control procedures, and analysis and reports variances.
- Provide strategic financial leadership to ensure the fiscal health of Maui United Way.
- Develop and manage the annual budget, aligning financial plans with organizational goals.
- Ensures compliance with timely financial regulations, laws, and accounting standards.
- Key contributor to the development and execution of organizational strategic initiatives.
- Identify and manage financial risks, implementing effective controls.
- Work collaboratively with other departments to align financial strategies.
- Hires, develops, and leads staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting or related field. CPA or MBA preferred.
- Proven experience as a CFO or in a senior financial management role.
- Strong financial acumen and successful financial management track record.
- Excellent leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in the nonprofit sector is a plus.
- Passion for the mission and values of United Way.
- Proven ability to remain objective, discrete and exercise common sense at all times.
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all required duties, responsibilities, and skills. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable disabled individuals to perform the essential functions of the job.
Interested candidates should submit their resume, cover letter, and salary expectations.
Maui United Way is an equal-opportunity employer. We encourage applications from candidates of all backgrounds and experiences who share our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Join Maui United Way in making a lasting impact on our community.
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.
Required degree level