Chief Development Officer
JOB TITLE: Chief Development Officer
REORTS TO: President and CEO
United Way of Forsyth County which is celebrating its 100th anniversary, is a Convener, Collaborator, and Catalyst in our local community. We bring the community and its resources together to solve problems that no one organization can address alone. We are working to create a thriving community by investing in neighborhoods and households with a specific focus on creating equitable communities, improving economic mobility, and ensuring childhood and student success. Today, we remain committed to our goal of continuing that support and expanding our programs to include raising awareness of the needs and services that exist within our communities to continued measurement of the priority of needs facilitating the formation of partnership and collaborations to address unmet needs and to cultivate greater support of local providers through volunteer coordination efforts.
UROE OF POSITION: Reporting directly to the CEO, the primary objective of the Chief Development Officer (CDO) is to increase revenue in a strategic manner that drives the mission of the United Way of Forsyth County. The CDO will lead the development and implementation of integrated fundraising, marketing, event, and volunteer strategies that ensure organizational capacity to deliver on the ambitious goals of our strategic plan. The CDO ensures the effective execution and growth of the organization’s revenue generation through the engagement of donors and volunteers and the coordination of executive volunteer and staff efforts related to revenue generation activities.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Leads the organization’s revenue generation efforts. Responsible for generating a long-term strategic growth vision and developing and executing Board of Directors strategic plan in relation to revenue generation. The CDO is responsible for:
a. Annual Campaign (Individual giving and employee giving)
b. Corporate Giving
d. Major Gifts (Tocqueville Society)
e. Online Giving
f. Planned Giving
g. Principal Gifts
h. Social Media Giving
i. Text to Give
2. Develops strategies for long-term revenue growth including:
a. Attraction and engagement of new donors
b. Attraction and engagement of new workplace campaigns
c. Development of a six and seven figure giving program
d. Reduction of donor-turnover
e. Innovative new revenue generation
f. Social enterprise revenue
3. In coordination with the Leadership Team – recruits, trains, and directs Board level and executive level fundraising volunteers.
4. Recruit, develop, inspire, and lead the resource development staff team.
5. Accountable for revenue growth on an annual and multi-year basis.
6. Leads the organization’s efforts to maintain an effective and efficient donor database.
7. Ensures the organization maintains proper fundraising ethics.
8. Works closely with the workplace giving team to recruit, train, inspire, and manage workplace giving volunteers.
9. In coordination with the Leadership Team, is an integral part of the organizations externally facing strategy. Maintains quality year-round relationships with donors, corporations, foundations, and vendors.
10. In concert with the CEO and through the Director of Strategic Communications and Public Relations, provide direction for the organization's marketing, communication, PR, social media, and special events.
11. Directs the development and monitors the budget for the resource development department.
12. Serves as a member of the executve leadership team.
13. Oversee the management and operations of the United Way of Forsyth County Foundation.
COLLAORATIVE RELATIONSHIP BUILDER: Initiates, builds and continuously strengthens relationships with all stakeholders by constantly seeking, understanding, and responding to stakeholder needs and wants.
ACT STRATEGICALLY: Is guided in all work by United Way's mission, values, and strategic goals. Ensures that United Way's plan of work and investment of resources are aligned and deployed with United Way's strategic direction. Continuously monitors indicators and results to measure progress, adjust tactics, evaluate success, and set future goals.
ACHIEVE RESULTS: Takes initiative, maintains a persistently focused effort, remains goal-and results-oriented, and continues to improve.
COMMUNICATE EFFECTIVELY: Speaks clearly and expresses self well in groups and one-on-one conversations. Is an excellent writer. When public speaking, delivers clear, convincing, and well-organized presentations.
MATER INFORMATION AND DATA: Understands that United Way is an information business requiring every employee to be an information expert, proficient in the collection, analysis, and application of data and information. Practices total ownership and accountability for all job-specific data and information.
President and CEO, Leadership Team, Board Members, volunteers, staff, donors, business community and general public.
Education: Bachelors's degree, master's preferred
Minimum of 10 years relevant work experience leading a development and/or advancement department for a nonprofit or institution of similar complexity with multiple stakeholders. Preference given to United Way experience.
• Demonstrated record of securing five, six, and seven figure gifts. Capital campaign experience a plus.
• Proven track record of collaboration and an unwavering commitment and accountability to leadership, the team, peers, and the organization.
• Detailed-oriented with an ability to manage multiple projects and prioritize tasks in a matrixed organizational structure.
• High level of integrity with demonstrated ability to exercise tact and good judgement.
• Demonstrated ability to work individually and in a team environment to meet goals in a timely manner.
• Effective communicator – excellent oral and written communication.
• Strong analytical skills; proficient with numbers.
• Proficient with MS Office, CRM systems, and planning tools.
• Culturally competent; effective when engaging and communicating with people from diverse backgrounds
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
We offer a full health benefit package, with 12 paid holidays, wellness days, PTO, 401k match, and defined contribution plan.
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.
Required degree level
Years of experience
- 5 - 10 years of experience