Advancement Officer - Major Gifts
This position is responsible for the development and management of a comprehensive, strategic, integrated effort to build the base of individual Palmetto Society donors ($1,000 and up) and Tocqueville donors ($10,000 and up) and increase their level of support through annual giving at Trident United Way (TUW).
Essential Function 1:
Identify, cultivate and steward multi-year top tier donors ($10,000 and up) and engage donors in multi-year step-up programs,
Essential Function 2:
Identify, cultivate, solicit and steward leadership gift donors ($1,000 and up) to achieve the goal approved by the Board of Directors for outside the workplace campaigns.
Essential Function 3:
Support and staff a volunteer Palmetto Steering Committee to identify, cultivate and steward individuals in order to develop resources by filling the key positions of regional chairs, leadership-level giving chairs, and at-large steering committee members as identified in the Palmetto Society Business Plan.
Essential Function 4:
Provide strategy and guidance to the Events Coordinator to plan events designed to recruit, cultivate and/or steward leadership-level gift donors and/ qualified donor prospects through regional events as identified in the Advancement Plan.
Essential Function 5:
Work in collaboration with Corporate Advancement Officers to identify leadership donor prospects from the workplace campaigns and create and implement engagement strategy for reaching out to those donors.
- Work with and effectively manage high level volunteers to engage prospects.
- Input, track, and monitor donor touchpoints, gifts and accomplishments through Andar database and prepare required reports.
- Collaborate with Communications and Advancement teams to develop fundraising materials and communications.
- Bring donor thoughts and reaction back to the organization and provide constructive feedback to the Community Impact and Marketing departments.
- Support interdepartmental team leaders with strategy and project management.
- Support Vice President of Advancement with Workplace Campaign Meetings, as requested.
- Participate in all TUW events and activities demonstrating the ability to be a good colleague, proactive collaborator and team builder.
- Function as an integral member of the Advancement team assisting with planning, solicitation, implementation and evaluation.
- Participates as a champion, project lead, and/or member of organizational development teams as required.
- Work outside normal office hours when required to include evenings or weekends and additional hours during peak times.
- Complete Andar training as appropriate when offered
- Bachelor’s Degree
- MarketSmart experience
- 5 years of previous fund raising experience, or 7-10 years of related experience (business or sales)
- Proven track record of soliciting and securing major gifts
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to work with diverse audiences
- Excellent planning and time management skills with the ability to successfully manage multiple projects
- High-energy team player
- Effective analytical and problem solving skills
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office with good general computer skills
- Positive attitude and willing to be part of a team
- Have fun!
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF JOB
- This job requires exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
- Worker must frequently use typical office equipment (telephone, copier, printer, fax, etc.).
- Worker sits most of the time.
- Worker communicates with constituents, clients, and/or partners by phone and in person.
- Routinely required to walk and regularly travel by car.
Primarily works in a climate controlled office-based setting.
Please Note: Requirements, skills, and abilities described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position with or without reasonable accommodation. In no instance, however, should the duties, responsibilities, and requirements be interpreted as all-inclusive. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.
Required degree level
Years of experience
- 3 - 5 years of experience
- $61,000 to $70,000 per year