Our Mission: United Way of the Lower Eastern Shore harnesses the power of our community to advance health, education, and financial stability.
United Way of the Lower Eastern Shore (UWLES) is an independent nonprofit 501(c)3 organization established in 1944, now in our 77th year of creating local impact.
UWLES focuses on improving the lives of all neighbors in Dorchester, Somerset, Wicomico & Worcester counties on Maryland's beautiful Eastern Shore. UWLES supports approximately 80 partner and direct programs annually focused in education, health and financial stability, impacting 1 in 3 local residents annually.
We utilize partnerships in the nonprofit, business and government sectors to collaborate and find innovative solutions for community issues. Our Get Connected Volunteer Center provides opportunities for local nonprofits to share and connect with anyone wanting to serve their community through volunteering, events and advocacy.
Our talented staff is dynamic & purpose-driven, strengthened by community volunteers who share our values, heart for service and commitment to our mission. We have 7 full time and 2 part time staff (including this open f/t position).
United Way of the Lower Eastern Shore envisions a community where everyone is empowered to reach their full potential.
- Compassion - We empathize and treat everyone with dignity and respect.
- Fortitude - We have the courage and tenacity to pursue our vision and stand for the best interest of the local community.
- Inclusion - We strive to empower all members of our local community.
- Integrity - We conduct ourselves in a truthful, trustworthy, unbiased, and transparent manner.
- Stewardship - We are committed to ethical and prudent decision making in the use and care of all resources.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION:
UWLES fosters and maintains an environment where diversity, equity, and inclusion are valued and upheld in all of the work that we do. We believe in treating everyone with integrity and value all our staff, volunteers, partners, clients, and community members.
- UWLES encourages all individuals to embrace diversity. We work diligently to treat everyone with the utmost care and compassion, honoring the human rights of every individual.
- UWLES collaborates with our community to ensure everyone has equitable access to the resources, support, opportunities, and networks they need to thrive.
- UWLES fosters an inclusive, healthy, and strong community where everyone feels valued and empowered.