ORANGE COUNTY UNITED WAY
Job Title: WelcomeHomeOC Property Engagement Specialist
Reporting To: Property Engagement Manager
Department: United to End Homelessness
Position: Full Time/Exempt Position
Purpose of Position
The WelcomeHomeOC Property Engagement Specialist is responsible for prospecting, recruiting, engaging, retaining, and expanding a network of property partners for the WelcomeHomeOC program. From those partners, the Property Engagement Specialist cultivates and solicits available rental units in order to supply a pool of safe, sustainable permanent housing for WelcomeHomeOC program participants who are experiencing homelessness. Their work is one of the critical pieces that makes WelcomeHomeOC an innovative, best-practice program with a track record of quickly and effectively utilizing HUD housing vouchers and ending the homelessness of over 650 people in Orange County.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Property Engagement Specialist’s duties include but are not limited to:
- Contribute to and implement a high-touch, customer-focused strategy to prospect, recruit, engage, retain, and expand the network of property providers (landlords, property managers, etc.).
- Cultivate relationships with property providers to solicit rental units for our clients.
- Assist with standardizing and automating the processes, tools, and communications necessary to grow both the owner/manager network members and the units submitted, ensuring consistency of experience and adherence to requirements.
- Build community and commitment from and amongst partners through recognitions, educational sessions, and/or networking opportunities led by WelcomeHomeOC.
- Collaborate with WelcomeHomeOC Housing Navigation team to identify and meet specific needs of our clients, ensuring unit supply closely aligns with client demand, as well as ensure clear, timely communication with property manager during the housing navigation process.
- Be a resource for the Housing Stabilization team in regards to property owner and manager relationships.
- Present at and represent WelcomeHomeOC at community-events, informational workshops and orientations, networking meetings, and conferences.
- Responsible for meeting bold recruiting and solicitation goals and providing accurate, regular reports on progress towards those goals within their area of responsibility.
- Contribute to and support marketing efforts as necessary, possibly including content generation, identifying needed collateral, and event staffing.
- Consistent, accurate, and timely input of data related to property engagement and unit submissions in digital databases.
- Maintain consistent communication channels with all parties, including property managers, property partners, public housing authority, and other collaborating partners.
- Understand the basics of rental assistance vouchers, landlord-tenant law, rental contracts, and fair housing requirements, to assist property managers, program participants, and case managers.
- Be knowledgeable about and connect property partners to other Orange County United Way functions as necessary.
- At least two (2) years of related professional experience, such as external sales, donor development, community relations, or business relations, preferred.
- Experience cultivating and maintaining productive, professional relationships with various stakeholders, preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher, in communications, real estate, business administration, public relations, marketing, human services, social sciences or a related field preferred but not required.
- An understanding of basic landlord-tenant responsibilities and experience in property management and/or landlord advocacy programs preferred but not required.
- Knowledgeable about affordable housing, residential rentals, property management, real estate businesses, housing vouchers, and/or the Orange County rental market and submarkets preferred, but not required.
- Familiarity with people experiencing homelessness, chronic health and mental health concerns, domestic and intimate partner violence, poverty, reintegration from institutions, post-military, and the social services available to these groups is beneficial.
- Fluency in the English language is required. Speaking ability of a language other than English is an added asset, but is not required.
- Comfortable with computers and Microsoft Office 2016 (esp. Teams), Zoom, Airtable, Salesforce, or a comparable CRM or database tool.
- Experience and contacts in Orange County preferred but not required.
- Ability to close a sale, solidify an alliance, and convince people to take action for themselves and the cause, always offering world-class customer service to all our partners, creating relationships and building community with our partners.
- Goal-oriented and driven to do one’s best.
- Flexible and willing to pivot, experiment, and problem-solve to find the most effective solutions and tools, adapting and learning as necessary.
- Decisive and resourceful with the willingness to accept responsibility and take charge of results.
- Detailed oriented, equally attentive to the checkbox in the paperwork, the grammar in the copy, and compliance to our contracts.
- A team player, who is inclusive, adaptable, creative, and energetic, ready to succeed under a demanding workload with diverse collaborators, while displaying sensitivity to cultural and socioeconomic characteristics of our clients.
- Committed to the mission and values of the organization, the Housing First philosophy, and strength-based team-building.
- Excellent communication skills, including verbal, written, and listening skills.
Physical demands are representative of the requirements necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. The employee is required to actively listen and communicate clearly. The employee is required to stand and publically speak. The employee is required to walk, reach with arms and hands, climb, balance, twist, lean, move from one location to another, and to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Vision abilities required by this job include close and far. Reliable transportation and a clean driving record are required as the employee will need to travel throughout Orange County. Ability to operate a computer keyboard and mouse, and lift files and reports is required. Employee must be able to lift and carry 25 pounds.
Send Cover Letter and Resume To:
Orange County United Way
18012 Mitchell South, Irvine, CA 92614