ORANGE COUNTY UNITED WAY
Job Title: WelcomeHomeOC Housing Navigation Specialist
Reporting To: WelcomeHomeOC Housing Navigation Manager
Department: United to End Homelessness
Position: Full Time Position
Purpose of Position
The WelcomeHomeOC Navigation Specialist is responsible for helping WelcomeHomeOC program participants, who have a housing assistance Voucher, obtain safe, sustainable permanent housing. They assess program participants’ housing-related needs, finances, and barriers, and identify the best housing option in our housing inventory based on each program participant’s unique situation. They facilitate a collaborative housing process between case managers and community managers to ensure program participants can successfully obtain and maintain permanent housing.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Input, maintain, and track program participant information and housing statuses in digital databases.
- Working with case managers, ascertain specific program participant housing-related needs and preferences.
- Utilize vulnerability survey data, location preferences and housing-related needs to match each program participant to the most appropriate housing option for their unique situation, following all Coordinated Entry System protocols and programmatic procedures.
- Working with property managers, provide directives and support related to application, viewing, and leasing process.
- Systematically, frequently, and consistently collect and compile accurate data on challenges, services provided, and outcomes.
- Maintain consistent communication channels with all parties involved in a particular housing situation, including the property manager, resident, case manager, public housing authority, legal services partner, and other collaborating partners.
- Understand the basics of landlord-tenant law, rental contracts, and fair housing requirements, to assist property managers, program participants, and case managers.
- Process all paperwork in a timely and accurate manner: holding fees, security deposits, furniture request and other check requests to the accounting department.
- Maintain complete and accurate files on property managers, housing options, housing placements, correspondence, critical incident reports, and other files as required.
- Complete all needed data entry in HMIS as laid out by the HMIS policies and procedures and funding contract stipulations.
- Assist in trainings and support to property owners and case managers.
- Assume other responsibilities as assigned
- Detail oriented to complete requirements of files, housing options inventory, data tracking, and contract compliance.
- Understanding of basic landlord-tenant responsibilities.
- Minimum of one (1) year of housing navigation experience with people affected by homelessness, substance use disorders, chronic health and mental health concerns, domestic and intimate partner violence, and/or human trafficking preferred, but not required.
- Minimum of one (1) year of case management experience with people affected by homelessness, substance use disorders, chronic health and mental health concerns, domestic and intimate partner violence, and/or human trafficking preferred, but not required.
- Familiarity with the local housing market, national and local housing trends, and available housing resources preferred, but not required.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher, in Social Work, Sociology, Psychology, Human Services, or a related field preferred but not required.
- Experience with property management and/or landlord advocacy programs preferred but not required.
- Fluency in the English language is required. Spanish speaking ability is an added asset, but is not required.
- Experience with computer and knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Experience and contacts in Orange County preferred but not required.
- Commitment to the mission and values of the organization.
- Understanding of, and commitment to, the Housing First philosophy.
- Understanding of, and commitment to, strengths-based services.
- Excellent communication skills, particularly listening, verbal communication, mediation, and writing skills.
- Demonstrated organizational skills with ability to meet a demanding workload and work with a diverse set of stakeholders.
- Creative thinker/adaptive/problem solving personality.
- Experience cultivating and maintaining productive, professional relationships with various stakeholders
- Sensitivity to cultural and socioeconomic characteristics of population served.
- The ability to work collaboratively with other personnel and/or service providers or professionals.
Physical demands are representative of the requirements necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. The employee is required to actively listen and communicate clearly. The employee is required to stand and publically speak. The employee is required to walk, reach with arms and hands, climb, balance, twist, lean, move from one location to another, and to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Vision abilities required by this job include close and far. Reliable transportation and a clean driving record are required as the employee will need to travel throughout Orange County. Ability to operate a computer keyboard and mouse, and lift files and reports is required. Employee must be able to lift and carry 25 pounds.
The WelcomeHomeOC landlord incentive program is a collaborative effort between Orange County United Way and its United to End Homelessness Initiative, service providers, local housing authorities, and private market rental property owners to open the doors to critically-needed housing units for individuals and families experiencing homelessness with housing vouchers in hand. The goal of the program is to significantly reduce the time these families and individuals search for housing by increasing the number and accessibility of rental units.
WelcomeHomeOC provides benefits to property owners in the form of paying double security deposits, holding fees as well as ensuring that each WelcomeHomeOC resident receives the supportive case-management they need to get back on their feet and remain stably housed.
Both the Apartment Association of Orange County (AAOC) and California Apartment Association (CAA) have fully endorsed this program and WelcomeHomeOC has been recognized nationally as a best-practice program by HUD.
Send Cover Letter and Resume To:
Orange County United Way
18012 Mitchell South, Irvine, CA 92614