Position Title: VP Finance & Administration
Reports to: Retiring COO (initially) and then President/CEO
Position Type: Full-time, Exempt
Core Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Must be able to work a flexible schedule with the possibility of some early morning, evening, and weekend work.
Date: September 10, 2019
To provide leadership and overall management direction to a wide range of activities related to finance, accounting, human resources, information technology, facilities, administration and discretionary activities that serve to support effective business operations. Directs financial and administration activities of the organization by performing the following duties personally or through subordinate staff.
- Participates as a member of the Senior Management Team to provide a united, visible, and strong leadership presence across the organization to help instill new thinking, focus and prioritize efforts, and operationalize the organization’s strategic plan.
- Develops and evaluates short and long-term strategic financial objectives for the organization, ensuring always that they are aligned with overall strategy and mission.
- Provides leadership, direction, and compliance in other administrative areas.
- Assures the continuity of operations in the President/CEO’s absence.
Accounting & Finance
- Provides timely and accurate analyses and financial reporting in order to ensure the highest level of financial oversight by executives and board members.
- Leads and manages the budget and financial forecasting processes, as well as institutes and maintains systems of internal controls, including evaluation and implementation of financial policies, procedures and standards designed to preserve organizational assets.
- Interprets statistical and accounting information to assess operating results in terms of performance against budget, cash flow projections, long term sustainability, and the operating effectiveness of the organization.
- Adeptly manages the financial complexity of both unrestricted and restricted (designated) revenue streams. Safeguards the organization’s assets, including the community fiduciary and brand trust.
- Ensures compliance across the organization with governance requirements and applicable local and international regulatory laws, rules for financial and tax reporting, and UWW membership compliance and reporting – unafraid to take action where non-compliance is identified.
- Provides hands-on leadership in the critical role of IT and Data/Technology in financial management
- Builds and supports the critical linkages between accounting information systems and other databases and information systems at UWP—especially linkages with the StratusLIVE donor management system.
- Oversees and manages the organization’s information systems including the selection, installation and maintenance of hardware, software, networking, data management and communication for efficient and effective operation.
- Selects, utilizes, and manages outside professional resources to achieve UWP’s mission in IT and data/technology.
- Oversees United Way facilities and ensures appropriate insurance coverage.
- Manages payroll and benefits administration and analyzes cost and competitiveness of the benefits package.
- Maintains employee handbook and related documentation to ensure compliance with federal and state employment laws.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date employee personnel records; archive and store former employee records in accordance with Federal guidelines.
- Serve as lead in Disability, Worker's Compensation, and Unemployment Insurance claims, as well as employment verification requests and provide information to stakeholders as needed.
- Maintain knowledge of legal requirements related to HR, reducing legal risks, ensuring regulatory compliance, and making recommendations to leadership on changes to existing policies and procedures.
Staff and Volunteer Leadership
- Provides goal-setting, visioning, leadership, and strategic direction for Finance/Administration and Gifts in Kind Center staff. Directs and manages Finance/Administration and Gifts in Kind Center staff activities. Ensures that team members are invested in team activities and decisions and that the team works together to achieve organizational goals.
- Staffs and maintains relations with Chairs and members of the Finance and Audit Committees.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Bachelor's degree required, preferably in Accounting; MBA or CPA preferred.
- 10+ years of accounting, financial management and operational experience in complex non-profit and/or for-profit sector; experience in mid to large United Way Member organization preferred.
- Supervisory and management experience required.
- Possess strong leadership, negotiation, communication, coaching, problem solving, project management, and analytical skills.
- Proficiency in a Microsoft Office environment – Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Outlook and experience working with databases required;
- Experience with MIP accounting software desirable.
- Experience in StratusLIVE donor management software and/or Microsoft CRM highly desirable.
- Strong understanding of cost accounting principles, unit/departmental segmentation, and management accounting preferred.
- Experience in successful strategic planning and execution.
- Proficiency in effective presentation of information and ideas to executive team and board of directors.
- Track record of building and coaching strong, productive teams.
- Passion for the mission and values of United Way.
- Recognized as a self-directed, collaborative, motivational, supportive, and visionary leader.
- Outstanding interpersonal, coaching, and listening skills, with the ability to communicate positively within all levels of the organization.
- Committed to exploring new ideas and innovative approaches to solving problems.
- Demonstrated ability to remain objective, discrete, and exercise common sense at all times. Able to develop strong, trusting relationships within department and organization.
- Thrive in a dynamic environment and ability to work on various projects simultaneously, requiring strong organizational and time management skills.
- Valid driver’s license and access to transportation throughout the workday.
- Able to read, write, understand, and speak English fluently.
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.
Send Cover Letter and Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org