The Vice President, Equity, Culture & Talent will serve as the thought-leader, strategist, and subject matter expert in diversity, equity, and inclusion; manage Human Resources (HR) and Talent. The VP, ECT reports directly to the President & CEO and works with the President, Leadership Team, and Board of Directors to ensure the further cultivation and development of a diverse, equitable and inclusive culture for the Board and Organization. The VP, ECT will serve as the liaison to individuals and organizations that are engaged in advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion both inside and outside of United Way of the Columbia-Willamette (UWCW) including Staff, Board, and United Way Worldwide.
This person is also responsible for chairing the Equity Action Team (EAT), managing and/or assisting with other affinity groups, assisting departments in establishing and achieving their diversity and inclusion objectives, UWCW compliance with United Way Worldwide (UWW) equity membership requirements, and leading the development of DEI policies associated with suppliers, vendors, and partners.
As the leader for UWCW’s talent management and HR efforts, the Vice President of Equity, Culture & Talent develops and implements the recruitment strategy needed to attract a diverse pool of candidates and hire top talent, including a wide range of activities related to talent recruitment, development, and management; program development and implementation; and compensation and benefits administration, in accordance with policies and legal requirements.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion: 60%
- Serve as the thought-leader in developing and implementing a diverse and inclusive workplace.
- Work collaboratively with Marketing, Community Impact and Resource Development to effectively communicate and present UWCW’s DEI strategy to partners, donors, foundations, and other organizations.
- Chair, guide and implement EAT strategies, ensuring the President and CEO and other senior staff members are involved appropriately and strategically.
- Facilitate the design and delivery of diversity and equity presentations, workshops, and training for staff and Board, including working with outside consultants in this work.
- Ensure organizational policy and practice aligns with local and national best practice; develop proposals and recommendations to ensure organizational policy revisions.
- Assist in developing and implementing strategies to track, monitor, and evaluate institutional-wide progress in creating a diverse and equitable work environment.
- In collaboration with EAT and Senior Management Team, drive and facilitate the development of an organization-wide equity action plan aligned with UWCW’s strategic priorities and goals.
- Provide regular updates at staff meetings.
- In collaboration with the Equity Action Team and Leadership Team, create and share an annual Equity Report for the organization.
- Provide advice, coaching and consultation regarding cross-cultural communication and collaboration to staff.
- Provide other diversity and equity supports, as deemed appropriate by the President & CEO.
- Be familiar with UWW HR and equity policies and resources.
- Discover and implement new ways to maintain, enhance, and develop a culture based on UWCW’s core values
- Continue improving the programs, policies, practices, and processes associated with meeting the strategic, operational, and people issues of the organization
- Convene and lead work groups as necessary to plan key organizational events that enhance culture, strengthen relationships, and build morale
Human Resources: 40%
- Direct the development and implementation of personnel policies, procedures, and guidelines. Communicate policies, procedures, laws, standards, and governmental regulations to employees and managers.
- Develop and maintain an equitable, market-competitive salary and benefits structure for employees that is aligned with the organization’s total compensation philosophy and operating budget.
- Direct the implementation and annual renewal process for the medical, dental, vision, long-term disability, short-term disability, group life insurance, Employee Assistance Program, Flexible Spending Account, retirement plan, and other benefit programs.
- Ensure that employee data in HRIS system is correct, and entered and updated in a timely manner.
- Serve as the point person for the organization’s retirement plan, working with plan administrators and the Vice President-Finance to ensure fiscal soundness, legal compliance, and clear understanding of benefits for employees.
- Manage OSHA, EEO, Medicare, Affordable Care Act, Worker’s Compensation, and unemployment reporting and claims.
- Oversees salary and benefits administration and RFP management in consultation with Vice President, Finance.
- Works collaboratively with the Vice President, Finance to develop the annual salary administration plan in alignment with the operating budget.
- Convene and lead work groups as necessary to plan key organizational events that enhance culture, strengthen relationships, and build morale. Support other organizational committees.
- Oversee the recruitment effort for all personnel, including developing recruitment strategies to ensure fair and equitable recruitment and hiring practices and achieve required staffing levels.
- Develop programs that ensure inclusive processes for employees of all backgrounds and enable the development and performance of all employees. Ensure development opportunities support the organization’s strategic direction, achievement of individual objectives, and the employee’s career path within United Way.
- Lead efforts to scope responsibilities for new and current positions, ensuring departments have the talent and staffing resources needed. Oversee onboarding and orientation processes, ensuring a warm, welcoming environment for all new employees. Ensure clarity of roles and responsibilities.
- Partner with leadership and employees to resolve employee performance and relationship concerns. Conduct employee relations counseling and exit interviewing.
- Oversee the annual performance evaluation program. Work with managers and employees to customize and implement performance improvement processes, as necessary.
- Ensure full compliance with all federal, state and local regulations with respect to organization processes and talent management approaches.
- Oversee the completion of annual objectives, ensuring that established objectives support operational plans and UWCW’s strategic plan.
Supervisory Direction Received:
- Position works under the general direction of the President & CEO.
- United Way staff, Board, community representatives, external vendors, United Way Worldwide.
- HR Manager
Required Skills, Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Human Resources, Psychology, Sociology or closely allied field or combination of relevant education and experience.
- Minimum 5 years of progressive DEI and HR responsibilities and experience.
- Minimum 3-5 years experience in a Sr. Leadership role.
- Possess PHR (Professional Human Resource), SPHR (Senior Professional Human Resource) or SHRM-SCP certification preferred.
- Demonstrated experience informing and executing an organization’s equity plan, DEI best practices and HR laws/regulations.
- Experience in change management, conflict resolution and deep culture change work.
- Working knowledge and experience with employee relations, training, recruitment, benefits administration, salary administration practices, affirmative action, and employment equity programs.
- Demonstrated experience with project management, consulting, training, and facilitation.
- Experience with MS Office, HRIS, Applicant Tracking and Timekeeping Systems (ADP preferred).
The successful candidate for VP; ECT will possess excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills and can vary communication to fit cultural context and circumstance. You will need advanced knowledge of proven principles and best practices relating to diversity, inclusion, and equity and a proven record of implementing and executing Diversity, Equity and Inclusion initiatives.
You should have an aptitude for metrics and data analysis, with an ability to research and analyze various types of data information; with a keen ability to design/articulate a business case for new initiatives and processes. You'll have the experience and ability to think strategically and execute on plans, while taking initiative and being creative in solutions and problem solving. A successful VP; ECT is a dynamic leader who is a nimble and quantitative thinker with a record of achieving results individually and through others with an ability to manage expectations of internal team members effectively and a strong desire and aptitude to be part of a team environment. You are a skilled relationship builder and can maintain constructive and positive working relationships with a diverse group of people. You show initiative in times of challenge and ambiguity.
You have an ability to analyze systems and situations and make recommendations to effectively resolve problems or issues by using judgment that is consistent with standards, practices, policies, procedures, regulations, or governing law.