Director, United Way Volunteers
The United Way Volunteer Coordinator supports the coordination and execution of all volunteer operations in the United Way’s four-county impact area. The Volunteer Coordinator is responsible for working in conjunction with Volunteer Director to help corporate partners organize companywide days of service, while also working with United Way’s partner agencies and county service centers to help fill their volunteer needs. The United Way Volunteer Coordinator will also work alongside Director of Volunteers to create, implement, and execute volunteer projects with Gulfstream and their employees to increase volunteer engagement. Given the active and visible nature of the department is it the coordinator’s responsibility, alongside the Volunteer Director, to ensure that all volunteer operations are carried out with the highest level of integrity and professionalism.
The UWCE is synonymous with charitable service and strives to positively impact theissues people care most about in our community. All UWCE employees are critical to our work and expected to present the best image or our organization as they represent the United Way in our community. All employees are expected to accept their responsibilities, adhere to acceptable principles in matters of personal conduct and exhibit a high degree of personal integrity at all times.
Position Requirements & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Minimum of 3 years’ work experience in nonprofits or a related field required.
- Ability to work nights, weekends, and extended hours required when necessary for events and projects.
- Proficiency in MS Office suite of products required.
- Prior United Way experience preferred
- Prior public relations experience preferred.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Service Project Creation and Organization
- Assist in planning UW Volunteer Days of Service (Volunteer Month, Days of
- Caring, holiday volunteer and donation needs) to include the promotion of events, management of project lists, facilitating volunteer connections, and program follow-up in the four-county region.
- Assist in creating and executing volunteer projects with Gulfstream and its employees to increase employee engagement in the community.
- Establish positive relationships with members of the community and book speaking engagements that promote volunteerism and build a talent pool of Volunteers in the four-county region.
- Create individually designed volunteer projects for United Way corporate partners that target specific needs within the community that the company wishes to impact.
- Coordinate and establish site visits with partner nonprofit agencies who have agreed to host a service project striving to ensure equitable volunteer service delivery in Bryan, Effingham, Chatham and Liberty counties.
- Maintain active presence in COVA (Council of Volunteer Administrators) and other relevant professional associations.
- Respond to web referrals, group referrals, and e-mails sent to volunteers account.
- Attend and report department’s activity at biweekly managers meetings if Volunteer Director is unable to attend.
- Oversee the maintenance of www.uwce.org/volunteer web presence and ensure ease of use for volunteers accessing the website to register for various volunteer events. Accurately communicate the details of regional volunteer events on the volunteer website.
- Assist local agencies in using the volunteers’ website, setting up their profiles, creating needs and more.
- Collaborate with all UW departments to incorporate Volunteerism into campaigns and events.
Disaster Response Management
- In the event of a disaster, upon safe return, when the need has been identified, assist Volunteer Director in development and execution of volunteer cleanup projects working with local nonprofit experts in area of disaster response.
Traits & Distinguishing Characteristics
- Demonstrates flexibility, professionalism, and a commitment to quality in every task performed.
- Takes ownership of work and demonstrates willingness to accept responsibility for decisions and actions.
- Maintains a strong work ethic both behind the desk and out at project sites. Seeks and receives feedback graciously with a dedication to continuous improvement.
- Approximately 50% of the work of this position is completed while sitting at adesk, using a computer and phone. Requires talking, hearing, and visual acuity sufficient to perform these major functions.
- Approximately 50% of the work of this position is spent at project sites, in off-site meetings, or traveling to various locations across the Coastal Empire. Requires ability to travel in personal vehicle and occasionally includes reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting up to 50 pounds for office equipment, supplies and materials.
- This position requires FREQUENT weekend and evening hours.
Status Exempt (Salaried)