The Volunteer Outreach Coordinator (VOC) will develop and implement volunteer engagements practices at the United Way of Greater New Bedford, drawing on Social Capital Inc.’s emphasis on relationship development and nurturing local social networks. Specifically, the position will work closely with the Director of Marketing and Community Relations and the Director of Corporate Relations to create new volunteer opportunities, educate organizations and corporations about UWGNB’s online volunteer engagement platform, Volunteer SouthCoast, assist with the implementation of volunteer events, and work to improve the overall experience of volunteers participating in UWGNB events.
The VOC must possess excellent organizational skills and demonstrate the ability to manage multiple tasks and projects in a fast-paced environment with minimal direct supervision. Considerable ingenuity, initiative and tact are required as well as excellent oral and written communication skills. The VOC must have the ability to maintain good interpersonal relationships with co-workers, volunteers and the public. Must be proficient in Microsoft Office. Experience giving presentations is desirable. The following is a list of duties for the VOC:
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The VOC will work closely with the Director of Marketing and Community Relations as well as the Director of Corporate Relations to expand our volunteer recruitment and engagement efforts. We envision the VOC will take on four major tasks:
- Coordinate with the new Director of Corporate Relations role and Director of Marketing and Community Relations to create volunteer opportunities for various corporations, churches, services clubs, and other organizations that UWGNB regularly engages. Work to staff those volunteer opportunities, as well as provide education on the importance of volunteering and how to find additional volunteer opportunities through Volunteer SouthCoast, UWGNB’s online volunteer engagement platform.
- Assist with the recruitment and management of volunteers on UWGNB’s existing Days of Caring and meal packing events. On the latter, assist with volunteer planning and event design.
- Meet with potential community-based organizations that could list volunteer opportunities to educate them about Volunteer SouthCoast and help the organization set up a profile (we would target about 50 organizations over the course of the 6 months).
- Connect with current organizations already on Volunteer SouthCoast to make sure information is up to date and they are actively using the site.
- Work closely with the Director of Marketing & Community Relations to improve existing volunteer experiences, such as UWGNB’s Loaned Executives and better equip UWGNB to engage additional volunteers most efficiently.
We expect between all of these tasks the VOC would assist with recruiting well over 500 volunteers for various experiences/events.
BENEFITS OF SERVING WITH SCI AMERICORPS
- Excellent experience for future professional and educational opportunities.
- Pre-service orientation and on-site training provided by SCI; ongoing training opportunities and workshops.
- Members receive a modest living allowance during their service
- Post-service educational award
- Health insurance coverage available at no-cost premium
REQUIRED SKILLS FOR ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Strong commitment to national service and the mission of SCI
- Desire to serve with diverse constituencies
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Ability to serve with youth in a group setting
- Ability to conduct community outreach and make presentations to community groups
- Excellent written and oral English communication skills
- Willingness to take initiative to achieve goals
- Strong project management/multi-tasking abilities
- A clear plan for living on the AmeriCorps stipend in the Greater Boston area
- Availability to attend community meetings & events during evening and weekend hours
- Regular access to a car recommended.
- Bilingual communication skills a plus.
- Knowledge of the community served a plus.
- Ability to serve on a team and independently.
- College degree or coursework is preferred, but not required.
Interested candidates should email resume and thoughtful cover letter with salary requirement to AmeriCorps@socialcapitalinc.org. Please list subject as “Volunteer Outreach Coordinator – UWGNB.”