Type of Position: Full-Time Non Exempt, Requires flexible evening and weekend hours
This position creates and implements efforts to raise visibility and engage individuals and groups in the opportunities to support the mission, initiatives and programs of United Way of the Valley and Greater Utica Area through volunteerism and events. Engage and increase number of volunteers, create targeted volunteer opportunities and increase donations and event revenue to support United Way of the Valley and Greater Utica Areaâ€™s work.
Responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Engage community members in a diverse array of volunteer and event opportunities related to United Way work, programs and initiatives
- Recruit and manage volunteers from the community.
- Develop volunteer opportunities within scope of United Wayâ€™s work.
- Support corporate engagement of local companies with United Way.
- Update and track volunteers and event activity in database.
- Create and implement a volunteer and event communication plan in coordination with Marketing & Communications staff.
- Maintain relationships with Partner Agencies for volunteer opportunities in coordination with Community Impact staff.
- Complete reports on time as required. Example, bi-monthly Board of Directors reports, reports to external funders, donor tracking reports.
- Coordinate and manage events, including Days of Action, Days of Caring, Annual Material Drives, Saranac Thursdays and Concert Series volunteer groups, Annual Tailgate Party, Utica College Hockey Night, Young Leaders United and Womenâ€™s Leadership, tabling and trade shows, campaign events and other events as needed
Core Duties Of Position include but are not limited to:
- Visioning, planning and executing responsibility for events.
- Necessary set-up and breakdown.
- Identifying and resolving problems throughout planning and day of events.
- Meeting with and securing, sponsorships in partnership with Resource Development staff.
- Working with other departments and employees to plan, including establishing budgets.
- Monitor and plan within event budgets, including tracking expenses and invoices.
- Select and coordinate with any and all vendors according to financial policies.
- Plan and manage logistics including, guests, programs, catering, venue, etc.
- High school Diploma or equivalent required. Associated Degree preferred.
- At least three years of experience in hospitality, event planning or related field.
- Demonstrated organizational skills, attention to detail.
- Mastery in event planning.
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills verbally and written.
- Ability to engage and motivate others.
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
- Ability to lift 40 pounds.
- Ability to stand on hard surface for up to five hours (seated breaks and short walks permitted)
- Ability to work evening and weekend hours including occasional Sundays.
Job Type: Full-time
- High school or equivalent
- hospitality: 3 years
United Way of the Valley and Greater Utica Area prohibits discrimination on the basis of age, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, sex, disability, predisposing genetic characteristics, marital status or domestic violence victim status