About Us - United Way of Palm Beach County is a local organization whose mission is to ensure that everyone in Palm Beach County has access to the basics: a quality education, a place to live, financial stability, good medical care, and enough to eat. We do this by uniting the resources of donors, volunteers, agencies and the community. We act as a convener who unites all sectors of the community - business, education, local government, nonprofits, faith based, labor unions and the media - to collaborate on solutions to issues affecting our community. By forming these partnerships, we ultimately change lives.
Volunteer Engagement Specialist engages diverse stakeholders to accurately assess community needs concerning volunteerism, service projects, networking opportunities, potential grants, and other items of value to community partners.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Articulate United Way of Palm Beach County's message in a way that inspires others to act in service to the organization and community
- Develop and manage opportunities for volunteers, matching corporate groups to service projects, supporting capacity building to Palm Beach County's non-profits through technical assistance and placement of volunteers, and promoting the value of volunteer service and civic engagement through special projects and recognition events
- Provide referrals for information, resources, and other capacity-building opportunities for funded agencies and local non-profits
- Promote community volunteerism and the value of service and civic engagement by collecting and disseminating information about volunteer needs and opportunities
- Identify and develop new opportunities and facilitate the placement of volunteers
- Actively recruit volunteers for UWPBC, partner agencies, and other community organizations
- Work with corporate, government, and education sectors to promote volunteerism and service in the community
- Manage corporate volunteer experiences that deepen employee knowledge about community issues and their relationship with UWPBC
- Work with corporations to meet their corporate social responsibility objectives and strengthen their corporate volunteer policies/practices
- Develop service-learning opportunities and channels for youth volunteerism
- Manage data measuring the effectiveness of volunteer recruitment, referral, and maintain the volunteer database to keep accurate, up-to date data entry of volunteers and hours
- Assist with coordination of special projects, including but not limited to food drives, school supply drives, toy drives, etc
- Manage routine and requested clerical tasks for volunteer team including purchasing of supplies, processing payments, etc
- Attend volunteer and community fairs, with periodic evening and weekend hours
- Assist, as needed, with the organization's Taxes Filed Free program recruitment and volunteer training
- Assist, as assigned by management, with the organization's disaster response efforts
- Perform other duties as opportunities are presented and/or assigned
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities)
- Bachelor's degree preferred with three years of experience or comparable combination of education and volunteer coordination experience
- Must possess commitment to advocacy, diversity, and serving the community
- Ability to provide superior customer service to agencies, volunteers, staff and community members
- Excellent organizational, planning, and time management skills
- Must be a critical thinker and problem solver to address and overcome complex issues to achieve desired results
- Ability to plan and develop new opportunities to increase UWPBC's impact and meet community needs
- Proficient with computer software and systems, including all Microsoft Office programs. Experience with web-based data systems, preferred
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands or finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an "at will" relationship.
United Way of Palm Beach County is an Equal Opportunity Employer, drug free workplace, and complies with ADA regulations as applicable.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.