United Way of Central Iowa is seeking a Volunteer Engagement Specialist to support and advance United Way’s mission of improving lives by providing administrative, database and volunteer support for the Volunteer Engagement Department. The volunteer engagement strategy and initiatives align with the organization’s impact focus areas of education, income, and health. This position will assist and interact with a variety of individuals, including volunteers for the department’s 55+ Retired and Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP). This position reports directly to the Volunteer Engagement Officer and works closely with the 55+RSVP Director. Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply!
The selected candidate for this role will enjoy providing general administrative support, strong computer database and reporting experience, excellent customer service skills, and strong organizational skills. United Way of Central Iowa is a community mobilizer for volunteering and our success in carrying out our mission depends on the positive relationships we build with our volunteers, donors, and community partners. This is a fulltime position working primarily during the day, Monday through Friday. Due to COVID, this position will work both remotely and in the office on occasions. The safety of our staff is the organization’s first priority and we practice COVID safety procedures such as temperature checks, social distancing and wearing masks for any in-office work that needs to be completed.
Due to the federal grant funding requirements for the RSVP program, a post-offer, pre-employment criminal background check will be conducted. A record is not necessarily a barrier to employment and will be subject to review based on grant requirements.
Why choose United Way of Central Iowa?
United Way of Central Iowa is an established and highly respected nonprofit in the Central Iowa area and the United Way Worldwide network. Employees at UWCI have a passion for the organization’s mission and community impact work and strive to create a positive, inclusive, and welcoming work environment. Our Core Values of Compassion, Integrity, Community Engagement, Responsiveness and Striving for Excellence is the foundation for how we do our work and to reach our aspiration to “Engage Community to Empower All.” In addition to a competitive salary and robust benefits package including health insurance, a dental plan, 401(k) with match and paid life insurance, we offer the following:
- Generous paid vacation plan, holidays, a personal holiday and sick time
- Paid volunteer time off
- Convenient central Des Moines location with free parking
- Free, newly remodeled on-site fitness center
- Tuition Assistance
- Commitment to employee professional development
- A commitment to fostering diversity, equity, and inclusion practices
- Fun monthly opportunities for employees to build camaraderie
- Wellness initiatives
Essential Accountabilities Include (but not limited to):
- Provides general administrative and technical support for the work of the Volunteer Engagement staff including the RSVP 55+ Initiative,
- Develops, manages, and maintains applicable volunteer database information and applications via the organization’s CRM system and similar software programs such as United Way’s Get Connected software application.
- Assists and directs volunteers and other external and internal entities as applicable via in person, phone, or email communications. Resolves questions or issues in a professional and prompt manner.
- Performs data entry functions and works with applicable departments to ensure accurate and timely completion of reports and database updates.
- Identifies and confirms weekly media volunteer listings by initiating calls to confirm volunteer needs and monitoring and coordinating feedback from organizations featured and recording results.
- Coordinates, schedules, and prepares various meetings for Volunteer Engagement and RSVP 55+ Initiatives as needed. Attends meetings as assigned and takes minutes when assigned and appropriate.
- Prepares correspondence and maintains records and filing system (electronic and hard copy).
- Maintain adequate supply of appropriate materials for the staff and prepares materials, as necessary.
- Participates in the planning and implementation of volunteer community activities and events that draw attention to United Way of Central Iowa funded programs and broader community engagement and support.
- Fosters departmental and organizational teamwork by participating in special projects and annual activities, and front desk relief.