About United Way:
We unite to create positive, lasting change for people in need. We call it harnessing the power of people working together. And that means everyone – individuals, nonprofits, companies, and government agencies.
We work every day to achieve our vision and mission by focusing on two foundations of better lives: Financial Opportunity and Educational Success. Specifically:
Financial Opportunity: Ensuring that all families have safe housing, healthy food, and quality childcare. That they have jobs that allow them to support themselves and their families. And that they have access to financial tools and coaching to help build a better future.
Educational Success: Preparing children to enter school ready to learn, develop critical social and academic skills, and get the support they need to stay in school and graduate.
You are the key to making this shared vision a reality. Your gifts become critical funding for ground-breaking initiatives and best-in-class partnerships with nonprofit agencies throughout our region, your time and talents fuel the engine for change; your friends, family, and colleagues are the army of difference-makers who positively impact lives.
That’s what it means to LIVE UNITED.
Please join us.
UWMB is seeking a Volunteer Engagement & Signature Events Coordinator to support programs and projects that deeply engage donors and volunteers in an effort to scale United Way's work. The Coordinator will support the relationships and logistics associated with implementing United Way’s Signature Events (Greater Boston Project Connect, Thanksgiving Project, Community Baby Shower, Summer Experiences in Greater Lowell), Affinity group volunteer projects and community volunteer engagement opportunities. The Coordinator will be integral to the growth, concept, and creation of engagement activities that support United Way's impact work. The candidate will work closely with donors, volunteers, and community organizations. The Coordinator must have the ability to manage volunteers and work collaboratively across departments within the organization.
1. Signature Events
The Coordinator is responsible for supporting all Signature Events in an effort to engage more people in United Way’s work. Specifically, the Coordinator will be expected to:
- Manage and coordinate logistics for all United Way Signature Events, including item drives.
- Manage and coordinate logistics for day-of volunteer engagement.
- Attend all events and serve as support for event execution as it relates to content and volunteer experience.
- Participate in UW meetings related to Signature Events.
- Work in partnership with Community Impact, Development, and Marketing to develop processes to engage individuals and corporate partners in Signature Events as volunteers, donors, and sponsors.
- Coordinate outreach and solicitation to increase engagement and sponsorship in Signature Events, including in-kind donations.
- Work with AVP of Engagement to develop goals and set strategies that increase Signature Event return on investment.
- Responsible for data entry, tracking and reporting for all Signature Events, including maintaining and entering accurate information within the Andar database.
2. Donor & Volunteer Engagement
The Coordinator is responsible for supporting volunteers and donors in United Way’s work. Specifically, the Coordinator will be expected to:
- Manage all aspects of Affinity groups volunteer experiences including project logistics, volunteer recruitment, training, communication, and evaluation.
- In partnership with Community Impact and Development, create and manage volunteer opportunities that connect to organization-wide strategies, Signature Events, Community Impact products, and/or individual or corporate CSR interests.
- Serve as the liaison and engagement staff for all Family Nights, Women’s United and Emerging Leaders volunteerism efforts. This includes attending meetings and working with the volunteer committees to create and implement volunteer opportunities that connect to United Way’s mission.
- Create ongoing volunteer projects for Affinity groups as needed.
- Responsible for data entry, tracking, and reporting for volunteer engagement, including maintaining and entering accurate information within the Andar database.
3. Community Engagement
The Coordinator is responsible for the execution of all community volunteer projects. Specifically, the Coordinator will be expected to:
- Manage all aspects of community volunteer projects including managing logistics, volunteer recruitment and training, on-site volunteer management, communication with volunteers, and evaluation.
- Plan community volunteer projects that support Community Impact focus areas and/or connect to organization-wide strategies, Signature Events, and Community Impact products.
- Responsible for data entry, tracking and reporting for community group volunteer engagement, including maintaining and entering accurate information within the Andar database.
- Create and coordinate ongoing volunteer projects for community-based groups as needed.
4. Personal Leadership
The Coordinator will be expected to inspire the trust and confidence of others in the organization and external volunteers with whom s/he interacts. The position requires the ability to collaborate with a diverse team of professionals, including peers within the Department and cross-functionally, and our community partners. Specifically, the Coordinator will be expected to:
- Gain the confidence and trust of others through strong follow through and volunteer management practices.
- Learn and develop from personal experience and from others.
- Foster a sense of energy, ownership, and personal connection to the work, the communities we serve, and our volunteers.
- Lead by example and demonstrate UW’s core values in all internal and external relationships.
- Bachelor Degree in related field required; comparable experience considered.
- 1-3 years of experience in volunteer and/or program management.
- Intermediate to advanced level skills in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint required.
- Excellent communication skills – written, verbal, interpersonal, public speaking and presentation skills required.
- Proficiency in database applications required — in a fundraising setting preferred.
- Cultural competency: must possess the ability to work with a diverse group of internal and external individuals, agencies, causes, and businesses.
- Strong attention to detail and proven ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously in order to meet deadlines.
- High-energy individual who takes initiative, has a positive outlook, a sense of humor, and the ability to thrive in a changing environment.
- Event management skills.
- Proven ability to collaborate and be successful working with cross-functional teams.
- Must be organized, detail oriented, able to multitask, persistent in follow up, able to meet tight deadlines and interact with all levels of personnel.
- Commitment to excellence and the mission of United Way and providing a world-class experience.
QUALIFIED APPLICANTS SHOULD FORWARD RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO:
United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley
Human Resources Coordinator
51 Sleeper Street, Boston MA 02210
For information on additional opportunities, please go to supportunitedway.org