Engagement Manager for Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program - Tucson, AZ
The Volunteer Engagement Manager is primarily responsible for managing all aspects of volunteer engagement and management for the VITA free tax preparation program, including recruitment and retention of approximately 200 volunteers in total, coordination and design of trainings and resources for volunteers, as well as for on-going support and communication with volunteers. This position reports directly to the Director of United Way’s Tax Service and will work collaboratively especially with Financial Wellness staff, Resource Development, and Communications and Engagement. At times, this position requires work on weekends and evenings, especially in January, the month of volunteer training.
This is a full-time, non-exempt position which is funded by grants. With an office in Tucson, this position requires occasional travel throughout Pima County.
- Recruit volunteers for VITA, United Way’s free tax preparation program and other Financial Wellness volunteer programs, as appropriate.
- Become IRS-certified as a tax preparer at the advanced level to better understand the tax preparation process and challenges tax preparers face.
- Provide orientations for prospective volunteers and assist with the development of orientations and trainings for engaged volunteers.
- Assist in creating site-based VITA teams, led by volunteer site coordinators.
- Encourage volunteers to take on additional responsibilities and roles when talent is identified.
- Facilitate effective communication between United Way, volunteers, and among volunteers.
- Coordinate the tracking of all United Way volunteer contributions, submit reports on a quarterly basis, and assist with annual reporting of United Way volunteer engagement.
- Plan and manage volunteer recognition events and other methods of recognition.
- Participate as a member of the United Way Financial Wellness Team, taking on additional duties when needed.
- Perform duties in accordance with United Way policies and procedures such as attending staff meetings, completing timecards, expense reports and other program reports as required.
- Ensure effective communication internally and externally regarding United Way’s volunteer engagement, adhering to United Way’s branding and media relations guidance.
- Work with Communications and Engagement to develop promotional materials.
- Present to community members, agencies, civic groups, businesses, workplace campaigns about VITA volunteer opportunities and United Way’s work, as appropriate.
- Conduct surveys, focus groups, or other appropriate means for obtaining feedback from volunteers and stakeholders.
- Develop and refine data collection, tracking, analysis, and reporting systems related to all volunteer engagement efforts.
- Maintain appropriate volunteer records, including applications, and certifications.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Bachelor’s or Associates Degree; One year experience managing a volunteer workforce, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Bilingual proficiency in Spanish and English is a plus.
- Highly organized and able to prioritize tasks.
- Experience training others on new processes.
- Demonstrated strong skills in a variety of software applications, including Microsoft Office 365 applications.
- Monitor content and update United Way’s volunteer engagement web pages.
- Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication skills, including clear, concise and accurate written documents, accuracy in grammar and spelling, and proficiency in the selection/organization of appropriate presentation methods.
- Demonstrated ability to speak publicly.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively use Zoom as a platform for meeting and training.
- Strong ability to tactfully handle stressful situations, negotiate and resolve conflicts, maintain confidentiality, and respect and observe organizational protocol.
- Ability to maintain a flexible work schedule and adjust as required by changing activities.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license, current auto insurance, daily access to reliable vehicle and be able to occasionally lift up to 30 pounds.