Gain experience in a nonprofit environment while creating a lasting impact on northern Nevada’s literacy resources. This position is an opportunity to step into a nonprofit environment, serve the local community, and build your resume for the future! Only one in three of northern Nevada’s children are reading at grade level and the state high school graduation rate is near the bottom nationally. For children living in poverty, the extent is worse. The Volunteer Coordinator VISTA’s efforts will focus on building the capacity of UWNNS Volunteer opportunities. These opportunities will allow UWNNS to provide more children with access to literacy support, materials, and provide families the necessary skills to support their children’s development and learning.
- Improve UWNNS volunteer training resources, capabilities, and documentation processes.
- Refine established systems to record and report the quantifiable results of all volunteer activities and achievements.
- Grow the available volunteer opportunities offered by UWNNS and with identified partner organizations.
- Support and collaborate with UWNNS staff to increase outreach capabilities.
AmeriCorps VISTA is a national service program through the Corporation for National and Community Service. VISTA members serve full time for a one-year service term and receive:
- Upon successful completion of service, choice of a Segal Education Award ($6,495.00 for education expenses) or an end of service cash stipend ($1,800.00).
- Modest living allowance of approximately $17,600.00
- If you are moving beyond 50 miles from your home of residence to the service location, a settling-in allowance of approximately $750 and a mileage-based relocation allowance.
- Upon successful completion of service, one year of Non-Competitive Eligibility status for federal jobs.
- Health benefits during service.
- Ability to work in a team and independently.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- High level of attention to detail.
- Organized and adaptable.
- Preferred: Bachelor’s degree in communication, or a related field.
- Bilingual is a plus.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older and willing to undergo a background check.
- Vehicle recommended.
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.