ABOUT UNITED WAY EMERALD COAST:
United Way Emerald Coast (UWEC) is a local volunteer-based non-profit organization that brings individuals and groups together in a community wide effort to help others. Together, we fight for the health, education, and financial stability of every person in Okaloosa and Walton counties. We work with hundreds of individuals and organizations that share a collective vision for what is possible when we Unite our efforts. To drive positive change, UWEC evaluates our community's diverse needs, mobilizes the caring power of the community, and directs resources to the areas that will have the most positive impact.
The Volunteer Coordinator is responsible for strengthening our Community Impact work through volunteerism. This position is responsible for developing opportunities for volunteers and service, recruiting and managing volunteers, supporting capacity building to Okaloosa and Walton County nonprofits through placement of volunteers, and promoting the value of volunteer service through special projects and events. The Volunteer Coordinator will work with volunteers, community partners, businesses, and faith-based organizations to engage volunteers in meaningful, quality roles that will make a measurable difference in the quality of life for people in our community.
Additionally, the Volunteer Coordinator will create and execute strategies that advance UWEC’s goals by overseeing and coordinating education initiatives including, but not limited to, ReadingPals, Cram the Van, and Days of Caring. This position is responsible for meeting project requirements, cultivating community relationships, developing cross-sector partnerships, and supporting staff in other capacities.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Work with Director of Community Impact and Engagement to develop new and innovative volunteer opportunities with a special focus on virtual projects due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Build community and non-profit capacity to effectively manage volunteers by coordinating resources, trainings, and aiding key stakeholder groups.
- Mobilize and connect volunteers by creating and managing a comprehensive online volunteer database with a special focus on virtual projects.
- Recruit and engage individuals and businesses in UWEC’s volunteer efforts.
- Coordinate and supervise office volunteers.
- Work with corporate, government, non-profit and education sectors to promote volunteerism and service.
- Maintain positive, collaborative relationships with UWEC employees, businesses, and community partners.
- Develop service-learning opportunities and channels for youth volunteerism.
- Support planning of large-scale annual Day of Caring event.
- Track, monitor, and report on volunteer hours and outreach efforts.
- Coordinate and oversee UWEC’s education initiatives (i.e., ReadingPals, Cram the Van, etc.), and provide staff support for the Community Investment process for Education funded programs.
- Attend trainings and conferences to further develop UWEC’s education initiatives and community impact agenda.
- Manage inventory and distribution of all program materials within budget guidelines.
- Track monitor and report on program measures (process and outcomes). Provide and analyze data for grant(s), ensuring application and reporting deadlines are met.
- Keep all activities in line with the core values and contribute to the positive culture of UWEC.
- Participate in professional development opportunities as related to the duties of the position.
- Assist with the organization’s disaster response efforts, when necessary.
- Assist with other projects as assigned.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Understand and demonstrate commitment to the mission, vision, and direction of UWEC.
- Associates degree and at least 2 years of related experience; Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Ability to pass a Level 2 background screening to support vulnerable populations.
- Excellent organizational, planning and time management skills.
- People-oriented with a track record of service to the community.
- Proficient in business computer software and systems including Microsoft Office.
- Initiative in planning and developing new opportunities to increase UWEC’s impact and meet community needs.
- Ability to learn tasks quickly and work independently with minimal supervision.
- Flexible to change; proven ability to manage multiple high-priority projects and deadlines without compromising quality.
- Ability to work respectfully and inclusively with a diverse population and multiple stakeholders.
- Drivers’ license and reliable vehicle, or equivalent ability to travel within a 2-county region.
- While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to walk, sit and stand; use hands to finger manipulation, handle, feel, reach with arms and hands, and talk or hear.
- Extended viewing of computer monitors.
- Ability to lift or move up to 25 pounds.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF:
- Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
- Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
- Collaborator: Understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
- Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
- Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.
The statements contained in this position description are intended to describe the general routine and level of work of the position of Volunteer Coordinator. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, or skills required by the position.
Drug Free Workplace and Equal Opportunity Employer