Since 1942, United Way of Northern Nevada and the Sierra (UWNNS) has been linking the community’s will and resources to improve lives. Beginning in 2014, UWNNS identified a key need to improve early childhood literacy and focused efforts to address it. Over half of northern Nevada’s children are reading below grade level and the state high school graduation rate is near the bottom nationally. For children living in poverty, the extent is worse. The Marketing and Outreach Coordinator VISTA’s efforts will focus on raising public awareness of the importance of early childhood literacy These opportunities will allow UWNNS to provide more children with access to literacy support and provide families the necessary skills to support their children’s development and learning.
- Assist in developing a UWNNS Strategic Marketing Plan to increase organization awareness throughout service area (including rural communities)
- Generate content for use in UWNNS outreach, such as website landing pages, newsletter features, promotional handouts, and social media captions
- Collaborate with Community Impact team to design and develop visuals and copy to tell the United Way story
- Support Donor Engagement by tailoring marketing materials to specific donor audiences to support fundraising goals
- Develop and maintain a PR database with media contacts
- Draft press releases, external communications, donor communications, etc.
- Represent UWNNS in the community at future outreach opportunities
AmeriCorps VISTA is a national service program through the Corporation for National and Community Service, which more information can be found here. VISTA members serve full time for a one-year service term and receive:
- Upon successful completion of service, choice of a Segal Education Award ($6,195.00 for education expenses) or an end of service cash stipend ($1,800.00).
- Modest living allowance of approximately $12,490.00.
- If you are moving beyond 50 miles from your home of residence to the service location, a settling-in allowance of approximately $750.00 and a mileage-based relocation allowance.
- Upon successful completion of service, one year of Non-Competitive Eligibility status for federal jobs.
- Health benefits during service.
- Ability to work in a team.
- Organized and comfortable with multi-tasking.
- Strong interpersonal communication and writing skills.
- Preferred: Experience overseeing volunteers, video/photography, or search engine optimization.
- Preferred: Bachelor’s degree in a communication or writing related field.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older and willing to undergo a background check.
- Vehicle recommended.
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.