United Way’s OC Free Tax Prep Campaign educates the community about the Earned Income Tax Credits and offers free tax preparation services to low and moderate income taxpayers throughout Orange County by participating in the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program and by encouraging self-filing online through MyFreeTaxes.com. The Campaign is a partnership with the IRS, Franchise Tax Board, and over 30 local organizations. The Campaign is part of Orange County United Way’s Income strategies, which assist residents to become financially independent by focusing on education and services that build financial stability.
Purpose of Position
Manages free tax preparation sites and events hosted by Orange County United Way within the city of Irvine, Costa Mesa and/or Santa Ana.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
• Performs all responsibilities that will ensure the safe and efficient operation of the VITA sites, including maintaining privacy and confidentiality of taxpayer information
• Coordinates with Project Manager on all aspects of site management, IRS and program requirements, and e-file administration
• Assists with outreach to Irvine, Costa Mesa and/or Santa Ana residents, students and workers, increasing awareness about the program
• Manages VITA site operations during the tax season and ensure sites are open as scheduled and adequately staffed to meet the demand of appointments
• Ensures that all volunteers working at the site have completed the required certification and recognize and appreciate volunteers
• Ensures that all volunteers working at the site have the proper tools and information to accurately file tax returns
• E-Filing/Transmission and Quality Review:
o Acts as the e-file administrator (ERO)
o Reviews tax returns to be e-filed to ensure quality and completeness
o E-files returns within 48 hours of preparation
o Maintains files for accepted returns and paper returns
o Reviews rejects and informs tax filer within 24 hours. Take necessary action to fix the problem and resubmit the tax return
• Attends relevant IRS and United Way meetings as directed by Project Manager
• Assists at United Way free tax preparation events
• Completes additional related tasks when requested
• Represents the work of United Way professionally and responsibly
The ideal Site Coordinator will have the following education and skill requirements:
• Prior VITA experience required – familiar with TaxSlayer Software
• CPA, CPA Candidate, CTEC or EA preferred
• Associate or Bachelor degree in accounting, tax, or related-field preferred
• Required to pass (at minimum) the online IRS certifications in Basic, Advanced, and Health Savings Account once hired and prior to teaching
• Strong Customer Service and Problem-Solving Skills
• Must be available to work flexible hours, evenings and Saturdays
• Ability to manage and coordinate an all-volunteer staff
• Ability to work independently in a fast-paced setting
• Ability to work under pressure
• Strong analytical skills
• Ability to work with Microsoft Excel
Classroom training or self-study through IRS Link and Learn and a passing score of 80% or more on the tax law and standards of conduct exams at the Advance level. A special IRS Site Coordinator training is provided to the coordinators by IRS-SPEC or United Way representatives. This course covers all the quality site requirements and other administrative items necessary to effectively operate a VITA site.
Physical demands are representative of the requirements necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is often required to sit and use their hands and fingers to handle or feel. The employee is required to stand, walk, and reach with arms and hands. Vision abilities include close vision.
Must be available to work flexible hours, evenings and Saturdays, every week throughout tax season. Meetings, trainings, and gatherings prior to tax season will be required, and most likely occur during the workday.
Send Resumes To:
Orange County United Way
18012 Mitchell South, Irvine, CA 92614