ORGANIZATION OVERVIEW: VISTA Volunteer Opportunity.
The United Way of the Tanana Valley connects people with resources to achieve a strong, flourishing community. One of the ways the United Way assists the community is through volunteer coordination. Historically, Fairbanks has had a thriving pool of volunteers and countless volunteer opportunities. The community focus on helping fellow community members has earned Fairbanks the nickname “The Golden Heart City”. Unfortunately, there is not a consolidated method for connecting the volunteers and projects, but the United Way’s Volunteer Action Center (VAC) will solve that problem. The VAC is designed to combat poverty by connecting volunteers with service opportunities. The VAC will serve as a consolidated resource for both the community’s volunteers and the service projects. The VAC will promote volunteer opportunities that produce tangible benefits for the community. This is a volunteer service position with a living allowance of $1,333 per month and an annual education award of $6,095.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties will include: • Assess local volunteer opportunities • Identify service opportunities with nonprofit organizations • Identify communication gaps between volunteer opportunities and the community • Help recruit volunteers to boost volunteer pool • Recommend improvements to existing volunteer tracking system or explore the establishment of new tracking system • Research the best practices of similar volunteer centers • Form and facilitate VAC planning committee • Lead fundraising efforts for the VAC • Create a sustainability plan for the VAC • Assist in the development of VAC marketing materials and outreach events • Promote the VAC concept throughout the community • Identify and engage key stakeholders needed to establish the VAC • Create resource list to help volunteers connect with services
Skills: Fund raising/Grant Writing, General Skills, Writing/Editing, Community Organization, Business/Entrepreneur, Communications, Team Work, Leadership, Public Speaking, Recruitmen , Computers/Technology.
EDUCATION/REQUIREMENTS: College Graduate
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Office Environment, Community
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.