UWBA is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce. UWBA is committed to building and maintaining a diverse staff and an inclusive workplace that values equity. We welcome applications from immigrants, BIPOC, LGBTQ applicants, and people with lived experience in poverty.
Reports to: Colleen Smallfield
Closing Date: Open until filled
The United Way Bay Area (UWBA) is leading a network of corporations, government agencies, nonprofits, and individuals to create lasting change for Bay Area residents and families. With a history that spans over 90 years and programs that tackle the issue of local poverty from every angle, UWBA is uniquely positioned to mobilize and motivate all sectors of the community toward the vision of ending the cycle of poverty.
As UWBA responds to cultural shifts in the workplace, fundraising, and digital communications, it is guided by core values of innovation and results-driven creativity. Through a variety of existing and emerging initiatives, UWBA seeks to both strengthen and reimagine its work at all levels in order to provide more and better opportunities for struggling Bay Area residents.
For more information about UWBA, please visit http://uwba.org.
United Way Bay Area’s Earn It Keep It Save It program is looking for Virtual Client Success Associate to manage our customer support using a new free online tax filing system “GetYourRefund”. This position will route clients to the appropriate tax preparers, troubleshoot, provide immediate and direct assistance to unblock barriers and help each of our taxpayers succeed. This role is part-time and can be based in the San Francisco Bay Area but is currently remote. Some night and weekend hours will be required. This is a temporary position for the period of “December 15, 2020 – May 15, 2021.
What you’ll do:
- Assist new clients in the digital intake process to ensure they are ready for tax preparation
- Review incoming taxpayer cases to organize information, determine what additional information is needed
- Manage the incoming queue of taxpayers to ensure they are guided through the intake process and connected with a volunteer
- Route taxpayers to the correct tax site as needed
- Responds to tax-related chat questions
- Commits to security trainings and security practices provided by Code for America and United Way Bay Area
- Communicates with all participating VITA sites as needed
- Communicate with all participating volunteers as needed
Who you are:
- Experience managing customer relations or support
- Experience with online client management systems (such as Zendesk)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks
- Proactive in finding solutions to client issues
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment
- Able to work independently and on teams
- Strong interpersonal skills, including developing relationships with people from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to work flexible hours to communicate with taxpayers
- Certified at Advanced Tax Preparer level (training provided)
- Previous or current experience as a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) volunteer
- Bilingual fluency in Spanish a strong plus
- Ability to communicate with clients in a dignified and respectful manner
Salary: $25/hour 15-20 hours per week
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
UWBA does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender (including actual or perceived gender, and gender identity), sexual orientation, age, marital status, medical condition, religious affiliation, veteran status, national origin, citizenship status, mental or physical disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable state, federal or local law. Applicants must be able to work legally in the United States. UWBA will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in the manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. If you need a reasonable accommodation in order to apply for a job, please let us know. If the reason you need an accommodation is not obvious, we may ask for documentation confirming your functional limitations.
TO APPLY: Login at www.uwba.org/careers and submit your resume along with cover letter.
To foster an open and impartial application review process that minimizes the potential for bias, please remove any reference to academic institutions from which you obtained any degree, if applicable, for example, simply list “Bachelor of Arts in Sociology”. Not having a degree will not preclude you from being considered; applicable work experience is equally considered.