Reports to: CEO and President
Organization Summary: United Way of New York City (UWNYC) is a nonprofit mobilizing people and organizations to eradicate barriers and create opportunities that improve the lives of low-income New Yorkers. As part of the United Way Worldwide system, one of the world's most recognized charitable brands, we envision caring communities in which all individuals and families have access to quality education and the opportunity to lead healthy and financially secure lives. We strive to model our values in all our relationships, both internal and external: Collaboration, Compassion, Integrity, Accountability, and Superior Performance.
Small Business and Workforce Development Vision:
In response to the current crisis and challenges low-income New Yorkers of color are facing, United Way of New York City (UWNYC) is launching several innovative cross-sector initiatives. The Small Business and Workforce Development Team will build partnerships and strategic alliances to:
(1)Support small businesses in New York City, one of the largest employer segments, and (2)Promote an aligned workforce development ecosystem that is driven by employer demand and skills development to meet that demand.
This initiative will strive to build networks with government, nonprofit workforce development partners, NYC Education partners, and small and large businesses to increase employment, close the skills gap and build the capacity thereby increasing access to the capital for small businesses. In all of these efforts, there is a specific emphasis on low-income communities of color and promoting racial equity and social justice. The strategy is designed to promote effective collaboration on mission, vision, execution, and outcomes.
Position Description: The Vice President (VP) of Small Business and Workforce Development will play a strategic leadership role within UWNYC’s Community Impact Departments and would report to the President and CEO. This person will play a focal role, in partnership with the President and CEO and other UWNYC Community Impact Leaders, in the strategic identification and development of UWNYC’s Small Business and Workforce Development Unit. The VP will help set the strategic direction and establish the foundational operating infrastructure (data, tools, network maps, resource guide, needs and opportunity assessment) for a long-term inclusive economy focused on the Black-owned business ecosystem for UWNYC. In addition, the VP will support economic vibrancy and vitality that fosters the creation of a citywide public-private network that connects post pandemic contracting opportunities and needs within the Black Communities to support a just and equitable recovery.
Primary Responsibilities for the VP of Small Business and Workforce Development will include the managing, overseeing and implementation of UWNYC’s Small Business and Workforce Development initiatives:
· The VP will lead UWNYC’s newly created Small Business and Workforce Development unit. The VP is responsible for staffing, managing, and developing this team.
· The VP will develop and manage strategic partnerships with external partners in support of UWNYC’s impact initiatives.
· The VP will ensure the sound financial management of the department ensuring budgets are within company guidelines
· The VP will participate in the fundraising and resource development of UWNYC with the support of the Resource Development and the Marketing and Communications teams.
The Small Business and Workforce Development Unit will ensure the successful design and implementation of the NYC Black Owned Business Initiative through the following activities:
· Catalyzing, convening, and weaving the network
· Guiding Vision and Strategy
· Serving as Network Coordinator
· Supporting Measurement and Learning
· Managing Collaborative Projects
· Engaging in advocacy
· Encouraging the broader community in building public will
· Governing and coaching the network
· Participating in the network
The VP of Small Business and Workforce Development will play a key strategic leadership role within the Community Impact department, cross-functionally with their internal peers in the Community Impact (Education, Advocacy & FeedNYC, Transformation and Learning) Marketing & Communications and Resource Development, as well as within the community and with key external partners. This VP is responsible for UWNYC’s workforce initiatives including the design, resourcing, implementation, and evaluation. In doing so, this person has the support and collaboration of their peers within the organization.
Specifically, the VP of Small Business and Workforce Development will be expected to:
· Work closely with President and CEO in the articulation of program strategy
· Identify and design, programs and initiatives in alignment with UWNYC’s mission, vision, and values
· Plan how best to establish research and evaluation frameworks and processes for the newly formed Unit
· Work closely with peers in the Resource Development, Marketing and Communications Departments and other departments where needed to ensure strategic alignment between education programs and fundraising and communications objectives
· Build strategic relationships with relevant community partners and external stakeholders
The VP of Small Business and Workforce Development will lead a team of internal and external resources to partner with community agencies in the design, resourcing and implementation of UWNYC’s initiatives. This person will be responsible for staffing, managing, and developing this team.
Specifically, the VP will be expected to:
· Structure and communicate clear and appropriate roles for internal and external resources to support the design, delivery, and evaluation of Small Business and Workforce Development initiatives in the community
· Cultivate talent by establishing and communicating performance standards and assessing and developing internal resources to ensure that they meet those standards
· Facilitate effective cross-functional teamwork with all Department staff and community partners
· Source and manage the use of external resources as needed
The VP of Small Business and Workforce Development will be responsible for directing all aspects of UWNYC’s Small Business and Workforce Development initiatives and programs.
Specifically, the VP will be expected to:
· Develop and direct UWNYC’s Small Business and Workforce Development programs and campaigns
· Actively promote the work of all UWNYC impact initiatives (Education, FeedNYC, BoardServe, etc.) to partner agencies, funders, the communities we serve, and the general public
· Devote time on an on-going basis to community-level engagements: listening, learning, and connecting
The VP of Small Business and Workforce Development will be expected to inspire the trust and confidence of others on the team, in the organization, and from the Board and stakeholder organizations with whom the person interacts. The position requires the ability to lead and collaborate with a diverse team of professionals, including direct reports, peers within the Department and cross-functionally, and our community partners.
Specifically, the VP will be expected to:
· Leverage past experiences and network collaborations to build and develop this body of work at UWNYC
· Gain the confidence and trust of others through principled leadership and sound business ethics
· Learn and develop from personal experience and from others
· Embrace the opportunities in change and lead others to a place of clarity and commitment
· Foster a sense of energy, ownership, and personal connection to the work of UWNYC, the communities we serve, and our staff
· Lead by example and demonstrate UWNYC’s core values (Collaboration, Compassion, Integrity, Accountability, and Superior Performance) in all internal and external relationships
Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
· Bachelor’s or advanced degree in a relevant field
· Minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible positions in the following
o Facilitation and management of community-based initiatives
o Project design, implementation, and evaluation
o People management
· Excellent writing, editing, verbal, and presentation skills
· Innovative thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and results
· Demonstrated experience building, leading, and mentoring a team of program specialists, both internal and external
· Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills
· Superior management skills, including the ability to advocate for and manage to budget priorities
· Presence and confidence to project credibility to community partners, the Board, SLT, and other strategic stakeholders
· A passion for UWNYC’s mission, vision, and accomplishments
o Equity Mindset
o Network Mindset
o Learning Mindset
· Think Strategically Applies appropriate strategic logic to decisions and initiatives. Identifies efforts that will have the greatest strategic impact.
· Promote Collaboration Fosters a sense of teamwork, leverages differences, and facilitates the effective interaction and contribution of others to achieve goals.
· Build Talent Ensures the availability and development of the talent needed to meet current and future organizational goals.
· Engage and Inspire Articulates and inspires commitment to a plan of action aligned with organizational mission and goals.
· Inspire Trust Gains the confidence and trust of others through principled leadership and sound business ethics.
· Innovate Champions new ideas and initiatives and creates an environment that supports innovation.
· Focus on Community Ensures the delivery of exceptional service and value to the communities we serve.
United Way of NYC Core Competencies for all Staff
Mission Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to the mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before processes and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal. Collaborator: Understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement Results Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good: creating, resourcing, scaling and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.
How to Apply: Please send cover letter with salary requirements and resume to email@example.com with the title "Vice President, Small Business and Workforce Development" in the subject line. No phone calls or faxes accepted: United Way of New York City is an Equal Employment Employe