United Way is advancing the common good in Ventura County by providing help today in ways that strengthen tomorrow. United Way has the scope, expertise and influences to bring together human services agencies, government, businesses, private foundations and dedicated volunteers around a common vision of creating maximum impact and achieving long-lasting results. Why United Way? We all want to have the greatest possible impact on our community and the issues that we care about. Join the movement. Through United Way, you unite your hopes and strengths with others to accomplish more than any of us can alone.
WHY JOIN OUR TEAM? We are at a pivotal time as we approach our 75 year history with a new outlook on taking United Way Ventura County to the next level. Located along California’s beautiful Southern coastline and less than an hour from downtown Los Angeles and just South of Santa Barbara, Ventura County offers a strong, connected community in a world class place to call home. The Resource Development team’s mission is to build strong, sustainable relationships with United Way’s constituents in the community, match donors’ interests with the United Way’s needs and priorities and secure the financial resources necessary for United Way to achieve excellence in supporting our community impact agenda through individual giving, corporate campaigns and grants. The Resource Development team is committed to serving the United Way’s mission by creating a culture of philanthropy with our board of directors and volunteer committees.
The Vice President of Resource Development & Marketing will lead all activities and be prepared to advance United Way of Ventura County’s (UWVC) resource development efforts with aggressive annual growth. Working in close collaboration with the President and CEO and Board of Directors, he/she will develop organizational strategies to support the organization’s fundraising and marketing objectives and develop long-range and short-range plans to support those strategies. The Vice President of Resource Development & Marketing works closely with the President & CEO in managing UWVC’s marketing and communications programs in alignment with the mission and vision of the organization. Creates and implements organizational communications, ensuring a consistent brand experience. Plans and executes effective marketing and strategic communications initiatives and projects that build the United Way brand, strengthening relationships with key constituencies.
Functions as an effective brand steward, providing peer-to-peer leadership, training, and support to help all staff and volunteers deliver the ideal messaging at all times. Oversees the marketing and communications strategy and tactics. Serves as the organization’s lead media contact, handling both short- and long-term public relations activities in collaboration with President & CEO serving as spokesperson. Supports United Way’s commitment to excellent customer service by facilitating communication and relationship-building with community partners and key stakeholders (i.e. United Way staff, local organizations, businesses, and individuals).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to:
- Designing and meeting aggressive annual and long-term fundraising goals.
- Creating internal and external processes that support a culture of sustained major fundraising.
- Developing a significant portfolio of major gift donors/prospects in collaboration with the President & CEO and managing the fundraising strategy for these donors with primary responsibility for cultivation, solicitation and stewardship (range: $10,000 to $50,000+).
- Effective ongoing in-person and written communication with donors.
- Supporting the President and CEO, Board members, and UWVC staff to effectively engage in individual donor cultivation and solicitation activities.
- Management and tracking of development activities through the use of the organization’s database (Andar) producing regular progress reports to the President & CEO and Board.
- Working collaboratively to create customized solicitation strategies that match the objectives of the organization and interests of donor prospects.
- Executing funding plans for multi-year growth via foundation and corporate grant requests that meet UWVC’s strategic goals.
- Building relationships with external partners, including volunteers, to utilize them in cultivating, soliciting and stewarding donors.
- Serves as a representative of the UWVC by displaying courtesy, tact, consideration and discretion in all interactions with other members of the United Way community and with the public.
- Safeguards all confidential information used in the performance of duties.
- Works closely with the President & CEO in developing and directing the implementation of long- and short-range plans for the purpose of meeting the organization’s marketing & communications goals.
- Develops an annual marketing and communications tactical plan, including public relations and social media marketing. Conceptualize and execute a comprehensive, multi-faceted donor and stakeholder plan that supports the organization’s strategies and objectives, builds relationships with key audiences, and works to position United Way as the leader in community impact.
- Works with the President & CEO in the implementation of marketing objectives to ensure effective and consistent communication messages.
- Works with other internal departments to integrate marketing and communications strategies.
MANAGEMENT AND SUPERVISION:
- Supervises resource development staff.
- Manages Resource Development & Marketing Committee.
- Serves as a member of the management team.
- Develops and manages the department budget.
- Serves as project lead for UWVC fundraising events.
- Manages all Resource Development & Marketing related consultants and vendors.
- Creates staffing and volunteer structure that maximizes available resources.
- Provides department oversight of donor relations.
- Performs other essential functions as directed by the President and CEO.
- Works outside normal office hours when required to include evenings or weekends and additional hours during peak times.
- Represents UWVC at appropriate community events and in professional organizations.
- Maintains a safe working environment.
- Keeps the President and CEO informed of significant problems that jeopardize the achievement of objectives, and those which are not being addressed adequately.
- Attends all United Way staff meetings.
- Becomes familiar with and adheres to the policies and procedures described in the UWVC employee handbook.
- Attends all applicable United Way events and various community events to represent United Way within the community.
- Stays updated with United Way’s long-range goals, community investment activities, designation policies, and strategic plan.
- Effectively participates, interact sand communicates with all the various United Way departments for the purpose of creating and supporting a team environment.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Strong background managing volunteer committees.
- Strong understanding of moves management process and principles.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in fundraising with demonstrated results of increasing revenue.
- Supervisory experience with a track record of effectively leading teams and the ability to leverage strengths across program areas.
- Demonstrated leadership skills with ability to recruit, engage, lead, motivate, train,supervise and manage a diverse and high performing team.
- Effectively coaches and mentors employees and teams.
- Advanced writing and project management skills.
- Understands general business and financial principals required to effectively lead,manage and align resources for performance; able to read financial statements andcreate budgets.
- Ability to oversee and prioritize a wide variety of projects from inception to completion.
- Knowledge of technical, creative and grant-writing skills.
- Knowledge of fundraising processes and best practices.
- Ability to think strategically in terms of UWVC’s strengths within the community and opportunities that exist for new and improved programs.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Ability to distill complex information into a simple and compelling message for maximum clarity, understanding and impact.
- Skilled communicator that writes clearly and concisely; uses multiple platforms to reach diverse audiences; effective public speaker and presenter with the ability to give presentations to a wide variety of individuals both internally at UWVC and externally within the community.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms, climb stairs, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, talk or hear, taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or moves up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Primarily works in climate controlled office-based setting. Position requires employee to commute to offsite locations to complete business.
- The employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
COMPENSATION: Salary DOE with generous benefits.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 12/31/2018
- Cover Letter Required
- Resume Required
United Way of Ventura County
702 County Square Drive, Suite 100
Ventura, CA 93003
Fax: (805) 485-4845