The Vice President of Resource Development for Spokane County United Way (SCUW) serves as the primary donor relationship manager for the organization and is a member of the SCUW senior leadership team. This position reports directly to the President and provides direct supervision to the members of the Resource Development team. The VP is responsible for identifying, shaping, and implementing comprehensive resource development strategies for SCUW. This will require: knowledge of customer and donor relationship practices; communicating organizational community impact objectives to donors and donor prospects; clear understanding of marketing and messaging strategies; and, working collaboratively with all staff and volunteers. The VP will develop an external presence within the business and non-profit community, and is responsible for developing a team (both paid staff and volunteers) to support financial development and personal relationship objectives in order to grow the financial resources for SCUW. The VP is responsible for overall market analysis, trend analysis, strategy development and implementation. The VP is the staff leader for resource development, and provides primary staff support to the annual Campaign Chair and Campaign Cabinet.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Develop a culture to further best practices in fundraising including the development and implementation of plans to build a donor pipeline that grows the financial capacity of SCUW to achieve it mission and vision. Work with the President to formulate development goals to increase overall financial support for SCUW. Build meaningful relationships with community members, volunteers and staff to collaborate on work that will have a positive impact.
- Develops, maintains and prepares campaign volunteers, including assistance in the recruitment of the annual Campaign Chair and Cabinet, to lead the growth of the annual campaign.
- Directs staff and volunteers to identify and solicit new individual and corporate donors, record and maintain donor records, and analyze donor data to improve campaigns and collections.
- Advances organizational and staff development with leadership giving and manages segmentation marketing to ensure the future of the organization's campaign efforts.
- Collaborates with Finance, Communications, and Community Impact staff and volunteers to increase overall giving to SCUW to further its vision and goals, and to minimize or decrease designations by donors.
- Collaborates with the Marketing & Communications team in preparation of materials for use in the annual campaign and other requests for funding; implementing donor engagement and recognition events; appropriately recognizing financial support by companies and donors; ongoing communications to donors and prospects on the impact and value of SCUW.
- Works with Community Impact to develop sources of revenue for specific products and/or initiatives.
- Works with Finance to assure the accuracy of data base information, pledge recording and processing, and that relevant billing notices are accurate and timely.
- Supervises and leads the Resource Development work of the organization, which includes developing strategy and direction of the annual campaign.
- Stays abreast of resource development trends, giving patterns and best practices; is the subject matter expert for the organization and guides the RD team and SCUW in implementing best practices as appropriate for this community, its needs and our donors.
- Manages a portfolio of significant accounts and provides exceptional customer service and support.
- Assists SCUW senior management to cultivate relationships with CEOs, C-suite staff, and other community leaders in order to involve these individuals in key volunteer positions within the organization.
- Manages and coaches RD staff, including goal setting, performance planning and review, and professional development of staff.
- Represents SCUW as a credible and passionate community leader at local, regional and national meetings.
- Bachelor degree required, graduate degree preferred.
- 7 years or more successful experience preferably in sales/marketing/fundraising, with demonstrable progression in levels of responsibility and achievement.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze, interpret and prepare data for internal and external use.
- Personal integrity that aligns with our internal culture, our key customers, and the United Way network.
- Demonstrated success in leading and developing fundraising initiatives (or comparable activities within the corporate sector) preferably in a human service setting.
- Demonstrated success working and building effective, collaborative internal and external relationships to advance organizational outcomes.
- Experience with customer relations systems for tracking, reporting, acknowledgement, supply chain fulfillment.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills; an effective listener and presenter.
- High energy, results oriented.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to influence and persuade key stakeholders.
- Strong degree of integrity. Highly ethical approach to all aspects of assigned responsibilities.
- Strong executive presence; professional with personal confidence and maturity.
- Demonstrated ability to participate in and develop teams.
- Strategic, creative, progressive thinker.
- Well organized, strong on the follow-through.
- A supportive leader of organizational change.
Physical Activity and Sensory Requirements:
Light work: exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds frequently.
Required to have visual acuity for preparing and analyzing data, viewing a computer terminal and extensive reading.
Must be able to express ideas by means of spoken word and convey detailed spoken instructions accurately, loudly, and quickly.
Must be able to perceive sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction.
Working Environment/Conditions/Travel/Potential Hazards:
Position requires a current driver’s license and routine ongoing access to a dependable privately-owned vehicle.
Frequent local travel, speaking to groups, and office environments.
Provide a resume and cover letter no later than January 5, 2018 to email@example.com.
All candidates selected for an initial interview will be required to complete a job application.