Position: Vice President, Resource Development
Reports to: Senior Vice President and Chief Development Officer
Organization Summary: United Way of New York City (UWNYC) is a nonprofit mobilizing people and organizations to eradicate barriers and create opportunities that improve the lives of low-income New Yorkers. Part of the United Way Worldwide system, one of the world's most recognized charitable brands, we envision caring communities in which all individuals and families have access to quality education and the opportunity to lead healthy and financially secure lives. We strive to model our values in all our relationships, both internal and external: Collaboration, Compassion, Integrity, Accountability, and Superior Performance.
The Vice President of Resource Development (VPRD) serves as a key leadership team member and an active participant in making strategic decisions affecting the organization. In partnership with the Senior Vice President and Chief Development Officer (CDO), and the President and Chief Executive Officer (CEO), this position is responsible for all fundraising and development activities including all aspects of staff fundraising plans. The successful candidate will help forge new relationships to grow United Way of NYC’s impact and financial resources. The VPRD is responsible for the development and execution of strategies to cultivate, solicit, and steward philanthropic support from individuals, and corporations, and work closely with the Strategic Initiatives (Government and Foundations) and Brand Experiences (Events) teams.
The VPRD will have primary responsibility to manage the infrastructure needed to sustain and grow our budget through corporate partners, corporate engagement, work-place giving, major gifts, annual giving, planned giving, affinity groups and development services and sponsorships. The VPRD will expand and diversify UWNYC donor base/pipeline and work closely with other team members to secure funding for new initiatives. In addition, the VPRD will work closely with the Board of Directors and support board members as they take on a more active fundraising role.
S/he will further develop and implement strategic plans for engaging companies and individuals and driving the most strategic revenue channels into truly vibrant donor communities.
The ideal candidate to assume this role must possess strong abilities including: demonstrated sales and business development acumen; experience leading a team of sales and/or fundraising professionals, diplomacy, flexibility, accountability, sense of humor, and the ability and commitment to empower and mentor his/her colleagues.
- Support and partner with Senior Vice President and Chief Development Officer (CDO) and President & CEO and Board of Directors on all major fundraising initiatives.
- Collaborate with the Senior Vice President and Chief Development Officer (CDO) and President & CEO, Finance Team including Chief Financial Officer (CFO) and Board Committees to develop and implement UWBG’s financial strategy.
- Develop and monitor UWNYC’s revenue goals and budgets with key managers to meet and exceed organizational and community goals and needs.
- Build highly successful team of resource development officers, effectively managing and holding them accountable with annual measurable goals and objectives.
- Provide ongoing leadership and support to Resource Development team to identify future leaders and encourage professional growth.
- Ensure Resource Development team has leadership and staff skills, tools, resources, and training to be successful.
- Develop, monitor, and manage Resource Development departmental expense budgets within constraints of UWNYC’s financial plans.
- Provide strong leadership and direction to maintain and grow a major gift portfolio and to build major, transformational, leadership, planned giving, corporate, and other donor pipelines.
- Develop and implement a strong acknowledgement and stewardship program aimed at building deeper relationships with donors at every giving level.
- Uphold UWNYC’s brand and image through enthusiastic and positive interactions.
- Inspire donors to see UWNYC as the partner that harnesses the power of communities to deliver innovative and effective solutions that create change that lasts.
- Proactively support major gifts, donor engagement, and corporate engagement efforts to identify and cultivate key donors and prospects.
- Work with the marketing & communications team to create development materials, tools, and other necessary collateral supporting major gifts, grants, planned giving, campaigns, events, and other efforts.
- Collaborate with the Collective Impact (CI) team to align donor interests with CI strategies, products and opportunities.
- Productively manage time by spending appropriate time out-of-office meeting with key individual donors.
- Professionally represent and share the mission of UWNYC at city, business, government, and volunteer events and activities and, as needed, during nights and weekends.
- Contribute and participate in the Resource Development Committee meetings on a regular basis.
- Possess proficiency with Microsoft Office and databases; experience with fundraising databases a must.
- Develop and execute engagement plans and revenue forecasts in Andar and track actions and performance metrics (personal and team’s) progress towards revenue goals.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Retain and develop a high caliber staff to ensure the goals of the department are achieved in the most cost efficient, professional manner. Assist with the development of rigorous objectives that drive toward higher performance.
- Help build an environment of open communication with staff members.
- Help establish a high level of professionalism across the department.
- Oversee the preparation of reports and call materials.
- Establish, communicate, and maintain departmental and organization wide policies and procedures related to corporate fundraising program responsibilities.
- Develop and execute an overall program/project management, operational, and change management strategies around business initiatives/ processes by utilizing proven methodologies and working across the organization to implement
- Create leadership dashboards and reporting cadence to swiftly track department’s overall performance.
- Work with Development Operations and IT to ensure that CRM is utilized to support corporate account management to capture and track all donor and prospective activities.
- Maintain ongoing information sharing within the Resource Development unit and all other departments.
- Work cross-functionally to develop and implement successful marketing and communications strategy tailored to top corporate partners including all United Way targeted campaigns.
- Ensure quality and consistency of information exchange with key donors.
- Review and contribute to annual reports, newsletters, online materials.
Finance & Administration
- Develop, gain approval of, and manage the donor relations function within the approved budget.
- Develop relationships with the finance and administration staff to ensure that timely and correct information is provided to audit.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred
- 15+ years of progressively responsible positions in sales or non-profit corporate development fundraising
- Demonstrated sales / business development acumen and success
- Experience leading a team of sales and/or fundraising professionals
- Strong executive presence
- Innovative, creative and strong interest in executing new strategies to exceed revenue goals
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated progressive relationship management / closing of large customer sales or major gifts
- Proficiency translating data and analytics into actionable insights.
- Solid understanding and curiosity for emerging analytics techniques and how they translate into actionable insights for corporate engagement.
- Excellent writing, editing, verbal, analytical and presentation skills
- Strong quantitative analysis skills; ability to target the right metrics and to clearly communicate complex data
- Demonstrated skill and comfort in building relationships with board members, major donors, corporate executives, and government and community agency leaders
- Innovative thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and results
- Experience in managing and mentoring a team of fundraising or sales specialists, both internal and external
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution
- Superior management and problem-solving skills, including the ability to advocate for and manage to budget priorities
- Presence and confidence to project credibility to the Board and other strategic stakeholders
- A passion for UWNYC’s mission, vision, and accomplishments
- Drives Revenue
- Business Acumen and Strategic Direction
- Mission Focused
- Planning and Execution
- Embracing and Managing Change
- Superior Performance
How to Apply:
Please send cover letter with any salary requirements and resume to email@example.com with the title "Vice President, Resource Development" in the subject line. No phone calls or faxes accepted.
United Way of New York City is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer