Objectives & Expectations:
Responsible for the development and execution of a compelling fundraising and donor engagement plan for one of our region’s most respected and dynamic nonprofits. The Vice President of Resource Development will manage and direct staff teams responsible for community campaigns, individual donor engagement and corporate relationship management. This includes maintaining and enhancing current successful initiatives and creating new resource streams and initiatives, such as the annual workplace campaign, affinity group programs, major gifts, planned giving/endowments, grants, in-kind gifts and the United Way Foundation. This position is responsible for the leadership of volunteer and staff teams to ensure maximized fundraising and engagement efforts.
As United Way of South Hampton Roads (UWSHR) evolves and deepens its work in service of our community’s most vulnerable populations it has created one of the most sophisticated fundraising programs in the region. Raising over $12 million per year in its annual campaign, and currently working on a $35 million endowment campaign (with over $23 million raised in the campaign’s first 18 months). UWSHR needs a forward thinking, experienced fundraising professional to partner with its outstanding volunteer and executive leadership teams.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide direct supervision and strategic direction and annual plans for the Development Team, Major & Planned Gifts, Grants, Affinity Groups and Resource Development operations.
- Determine key metrics, accountability and reporting mechanisms aligned with performance and growth objectives for the Development Team.
- Work with the Director of the United Way Foundation to develop strategies for growth in the endowment and cultivation of donor base for increasing actual and planned gifts.
- Work with Tocqueville Society and Women United volunteer leadership to create and implement a plan to cultivate, steward, and solicit our current and prospect donors; and
- Provide leadership in the identification and recruitment of Board Members/Cabinet Members.
- Direct efforts to secure corporate support through grants, corporate/foundation giving, sponsorship, consumer engagement efforts through partners, etc.
- Identify and manage portfolios of top donors and prospects to ensure comprehensive, seamless relationship development.
- Serve as a member and a leader on the Executive Team.
- Oversee collaboration with the team to tailor strategies to companies, individuals and prospects to promote the position benefits of their time and resources dedicated to UWSHR.
- Provide leadership and insight to the campaign cabinet and other leadership to maximize resource development activities and increase revenue.
- Develop the annual operating plans, budgets, long-term development strategies and action steps to increase relationships with and revenue from corporate partners and individuals.
- Manage the action steps and results for the development team; track activity metrics and revenue generation throughout the year and provides monthly reports against goal projections.
- Liaise with marketing department to oversee development of annual campaign materials (print, electronic, and audio-visual).
- Provide leadership to CRM System Manager to elevate the level of CRM use among development team; develops reports, SOP’s, trainings, and executing enhancements as needed. Additionally, maintains accurate donor information, all external meetings and development dialogs, and all opportunities.
- Work with finance department to ensure pledge processing is timely and accurate.
- Foster creative thinking and facilitate future partnerships within corporate accounts.
- All other duties as assigned.
Key Skill Requirements:
- Understand and demonstrate commitment to the vision, mission and direction of UWSHR.
- 10+ years of development experience with demonstrated ability to cultivate and solicit significant gifts, and ability to develop meaningful relationships to drive resources and results
- High-energy and initiative with a positive outlook who can manage change.
- Possess proven fundraising/sales skills at the technical, managerial, relationship management and leadership levels.
- Demonstrate effective supervisory, management and leadership competencies commensurate with the responsibilities of managing multiple staff functions.
- Ability to think strategically and execute on plan.
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Possesses highly evolved presentation skills.
- Experience with CRM software
- Commitment to excellence.
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.
Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com