About United Way of St. Joseph County, Inc.
United Way of St. Joseph County is a nonprofit organization dedicated to creating long-lasting change, ensuring all residents have access to the building blocks to a better life: education, income and health. United Way is unique in its ability to bring together people active in their communities, business leaders, nonprofit organizations and government agencies to address the underlying causes of major St. Joseph County problems.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The Vice President of Mission Advancement serves as the primary donor relationship manager for the organization and is a member of the UWSJC senior leadership team. This position reports directly to the President and provides direct supervision to the members of the Mission Advancement team. The VP is responsible for identifying, shaping, and implementing comprehensive resource development strategies for UWSJC. This will require: knowledge of customer and donor relationship practices; communicating organizational community impact objectives to donors and donor prospects; clear understanding of marketing and messaging strategies; and working collaboratively with all staff and volunteers. The VP will develop an external presence within the business and non-profit community in St. Joseph County and is responsible for developing a team (both paid staff and volunteers) to support financial development and personal relationship objectives in order to grow the financial resources for UWSJC. The VP is responsible for overall market analysis, trend analysis, strategy development, and implementation. The VP is the staff leader for resource development and provides primary staff support to the annual Campaign Chair and Campaign Cabinet.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Develop a culture to further best practices in fundraising including the development and implementation of plans to build a donor pipeline that grows the financial capacity of UWSJC to achieve it mission and vision. Work with the President to formulate development goals to increase overall financial support for UWSJC. Build meaningful relationships with community members, volunteers, and staff to collaborate on work that will have a positive impact.
Bachelor degree required, graduate degree preferred.
- 5 years or more successful experience preferably in sales/marketing/fundraising, with demonstrable progression in levels of responsibility and achievement.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze, interpret and prepare data for internal and external use.
- Personal integrity that aligns with our internal culture, our key customers, and the United Way network.
The candidate should be able to show the ability to work in a fast-paced, sometimes stressful environment with a high adaptability to change. Ability to work around loud noises. Ability to help deliver materials to companies/agencies. Ability to attend United Way events during evenings and weekends. Ability to clean and maintain a clean desk and common work areas.
Position requires a current driver’s license and insured vehicle
- Frequent local travel, speaking to groups, and office environments
- Hard worker, ethical, detail oriented, organized team player traits
- Goal driven with demonstrated ability to work independently and achieve results
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.