UWBA is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce. UWBA is committed to building and maintaining a diverse staff and an inclusive workplace that values equity. We welcome applications from immigrants, BIPOC, LGBTQ applicants, and people with lived experience in poverty.
Reports to: Chief Development Officer
Closing Date: Open until filled
The United Way Bay Area (UWBA) is leading a network of corporations, government agencies, nonprofits, and individuals to create lasting change for Bay Area residents and families. With a history that spans over 90 years and programs that tackle the issue of local poverty from every angle, UWBA is uniquely positioned to mobilize and motivate all sectors of the community toward the vision of ending the cycle of poverty.
As UWBA responds to cultural shifts in the workplace, fundraising, and digital communications, it is guided by core values of innovation and results-driven creativity. Through a variety of existing and emerging initiatives, UWBA seeks to both strengthen and re-imagine its work at all levels in order provide more and better opportunities for struggling Bay Area residents.
For more information about UWBA, please visit http://uwba.org.
The Vice President, Marketing will serve as a valued member of the Leadership Team, reporting to the Chief Development Officer. Working closely with the Leadership Team on strategic direction, the Vice President, Marketing will oversee the development and management of the brand, marketing and communication efforts required to support the long-term strategic direction of the organization. Oversees the planning and development of UWBA marketing efforts and the branding of UWBA programs. The VP, Marketing ensures the integration of effective marketing and communication strategies, both internally and externally, across all functional areas of United Way. They provide day-to-day leadership of the Marketing Department which includes the Community Engagement Team.
What you’ll do:
- Responsible for building and sustaining a strong, compelling local brand identity consistent with UWBA’s mission and values and national UWW standards.
- Ensures brand consistency in all UWBA collateral, communications, and events.
- Ensures values of diversity, equity, and inclusion are reflected in all aspect of UWBA brand expression.
- Identifies opportunities and supports initiatives that strategically build UWBA’s brand.
- Oversees program branding to ensure UWBA visibility and brand consistency.
- Partners with HR and Leadership Team to ensure the strength of UWBA’s employer brand.
- Leads transformation, modernization, and innovation for the Marketing Department, in collaboration with other members of the Leadership Team.
- Leads the strategic and day-to-day marketing efforts of the organization. Builds digital marketing capabilities in collaboration with United Way Word Wide’s Digital Services and Shared Services teams, in addition to other local United Ways collectively working on shared strategies and content.
- Leads the marketing team in an emphasis on data analytics to make strategic and data-driven decisions using digital and social media dashboards and tools.
- Defines key performance indicators, and leads the team to measure, track and report on the effectiveness of marketing and communications tactics.
- Develops effective partnerships with media, corporate and nonprofit partner professionals and others to enhance UWBA’s marketing and promotional efforts.
- Develops effective strategies for reaching diverse communities in the Bay Area.
- Works closely with Development, provides strategic marketing for events.
- Partners with Chief Development Officer on strategy, creation, and execution of cause marketing initiatives.
- Utilizing local and UWW resources, develops compelling sales and marketing materials to support all UWBA fundraising efforts.
- Periodically assesses the effectiveness of UWBA marketing efforts.
- Evaluates and utilizes new and existing technologies to further the work of UWBA in relationship to marketing and brand awareness.
- Oversees the development of concept and copy for all high-level communication projects including speech writing, key partner presentations, messaging, advertising, web-based tools, and interactive communications such as social media.
- Writes and/or edits high-level communications copy as needed.
- Maintains an integrated communication plan emphasizing implementation and action to strengthen and clarify United Way’s role in addressing issues.
- Markets the work of UWBA programs to promote their value clearly and effectively to individuals and segments who could benefit from the intended outcomes.
- Creates and manages listening channels for feedback from stakeholders and supporters.
Media and Public Relations
- Working with PR consultants, develop effective partnerships and working relationships with local media to ensure positive UWBA coverage and maximum exposure.
- Serves as media spokesperson or external ambassador with key constituents when needed.
- Plans, develops, and directs social media strategies designed to optimize UWBA’s ability to reach and engage donors, volunteers, key stakeholders and the general public.
- Works closely with the Senior Director, Community Engagement, build and launch an effective and comprehensive strategy for engaging volunteers and other community members through events, including materials for sponsor cultivation.
- Periodically assess the efficacy of community engagement efforts, through program surveys and other instruments, gauging the sentiment of all stakeholders to inform future engagement strategies.
- Ensures UWBA’s website is effective and efficient in communicating with volunteers and participants.
- With support from other members of the Leadership Team, leads and manages board subcommittees and task forces with an individual engagement or marketing mission.
- Acts as a key catalyst for organizational change, advancement, and innovation across all departments.
- Responsible for day-to-day supervision of Marketing staff, consultants, and related administrative tasks.
- Responsible for developing and monitoring department budgets, vendor payments and overall accountability for department finances in partnership with UWW Finance.
- In partnership with the Chief Development Officer, supports and contributes to direction for executive leadership in internal/external communications about the vision and overall strategies of the organization.
Who you are:
- Vision and strategic thinker – thinks big-picture, long-term and holistically; capable of connecting the dots and integrating disparate elements into cohesive execution.
- Prior experience managing a marketing and communications team, function in a in-house, agency, or centralized setting.
- Strategic and operational planning skills – sets long-term objectives and strategies for meeting goals; organizes and manages multiple priorities and allocates resources accordingly; maintains accountability; uses personnel and resources effectively and efficiently; anticipates and plans for potential obstacles.
- Ability to facilitate, manage, support, and participate on cross-functional teams.
- Thorough appreciation of and commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging.
- Thorough knowledge of development and implementation of integrated communication plans and
marketing strategies that drive strategic business decisions.
- Build strong internal and external working relationships with marketing community, high level volunteers, and
community non-profit leaders.
- Positive, proactive, solutions-oriented disposition with exceptional ability to collaborate and build relationships across all parts of the organization, including staff, volunteers, vendors, and fellow non-profit community leaders.
- 10+ years’ experience in marketing, with at least 3 years’ experience managing a marketing department of 3 or more staff members.
- Deep understanding of the unique marketing and communication needs of non-profit organizations.
- Demonstrated ability to build a strong team through attracting and retaining talent.
- High level of self-awareness, humility, and emotional intelligence; skilled at giving and receiving constructive feedback to and from direct reports and peers.
- Experience leading organizations through change management and transforming business and organizational practices.
- Track record of strong decision-making in the face of complex decisions.
- Superior project management skills, including the ability to lead others to manage work plans, timelines, and budgets; outstanding attention to detail.
- Understanding of key technologies used for creative production, project management, communications, and fundraising.
- Experience with technology designed specifically to support corporate philanthropy, event management, or volunteer participation (i.e. Salesforce Philanthropy Cloud, Fronteva or HandsOn Connect).
- Working knowledge of Salesforce Marketing Cloud and Social Studio a plus. Proficient at Microsoft Office applications including Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, and other critical systems.
Salary: $160,000 – $185,000 Salary Exempt
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
UWBA does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender (including actual or perceived gender, and gender identity), sexual orientation, age, marital status, medical condition, religious affiliation, veteran status, national origin, citizenship status, mental or physical disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable state, federal or local law. UWBA will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in the manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. If you need a reasonable accommodation in order to apply for a job, please let us know. If the reason you need an accommodation is not obvious, we may ask for documentation confirming your functional limitations.
Please include salary requirements in cover letter.
TO APPLY: Login at www.uwba.org/careers and submit your resume along with cover letter.
To foster an open and impartial application review process that minimizes the potential for bias, please remove any reference to academic institutions from which you obtained any degree, if applicable, for example, simply list “Bachelor of Arts in Sociology”. Not having a degree will not preclude you from being considered; applicable work experience is equally considered.