United Way Worldwide seeks diverse, qualified professionals who want to make a difference in the world. If you are passionate about your work and desire to help others achieve enhanced education, income, and health, United Way Worldwide is the place for you.
United Way Worldwide is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, and other legally protected characteristics. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please e-mail email@example.com and provide the nature of your request and your contact information.
We are a charter member of Employers of National Service and encourage AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni to apply. As an employee of record your benefits are determined by your country of residency, which we will abide by through an international payroll firm.
The primary purpose of this position is to lead United Way Worldwide’s strategic development and provide developmental support to its member organizations in Latin America & the Caribbean. Will build and strengthen relationships needed to work with local communities to build civil society and mobilize the caring power of people to change community conditions in the areas of health, education and financial stability/income.
Success in this position is defined by the existence of successful, sustainable local United Way organizations that measurably improve lives throughout Latin America and the Caribbean. This position works under the direction of the Senior Vice President of the International Network and in close collaboration with the International Network Team.
The individual in this position proactively manages the strategy and plans for all regions, creates links with corporations and donors, helps identify and address barriers to success, responds to inquiries from member organizations regarding those plans and programs, and coordinates with colleagues throughout the United Way Worldwide Network to facilitate intra- and inter-organizational communication as well sound fiscal management.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL DUTIES OF POSITION
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty listed below at a satisfactory level:
- Responsible for providing expert advice and assistance to United Way Worldwide and its Network partners throughout Latin America and the Caribbean in the development and execution of United Way programs. Provides program design, management, and operational support for regional United Way activities.
- Serves as a source of information about relevant philanthropic trends and the perspectives and activities of other organizations and individuals working on similar and related issues.
- Collaborates with other Groups within United Way Worldwide to identify common issues across program areas. Develops joint project activities and related resource development opportunities.
- Develops and oversees the implementation of a United Way Worldwide regional strategic plan for Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Leads the development and staffing of the Latin America & Caribbean Region and supports el Comité Regional de United Way Latam.
- Responds to member requests for information and support.
- Identifies potential issues and provides technical assistance to all current United Way Worldwide Network partners in the regions, focusing on subject areas outlined in United Way Worldwide’s Membership Requirements and Global Standards.
- Coordinates and implements Member information collection and sharing while keeping Member organizations regularly involved with and informed about United Way Worldwide’s and Network Partners’ activities.
- Works with organizational leadership in recommending growth in United Way Worldwide’s regional presence in Latin America & the Caribbean, and United Way Worldwide’s headquarters support to current Network Partners, as well as for new United Way expansion possibilities, partnerships, and funding opportunities.
- Works with United Way Worldwide leadership to establish sustainable partnerships and to provide support in raising funds with and from worldwide organizations to support resource development for United Way Worldwide and its Network Partners in the Latin American & Caribbean regions.
- Assists in the development and administration of Group plans, goals, and policies.
- Consults with multinational corporations regarding CSR priorities, international workplace campaigns, employee volunteer programs, and community projects.
- Holds primary responsibility for conducting periodic regional meetings.
- Responsible for supporting the effective performance of members of the Latin American & Caribbean team.
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all required duties, responsibilities and skills.
Minimum requirements include:
- Bachelor’s degree. Graduate degree in nonprofit/business management, international relations, or related field preferred.
- Ten years of progressive experience in a similar role.
- Three to five years of experience in a people leadership role.
- Three to five years of experience with a local United Way organization and/or in comparable positions at nonprofit organization(s) and/or international business in the Latin American or Caribbean region strongly preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written proficiency in one or more languages regularly utilized in the Latin American & Caribbean regions required. Good verbal and written communication skills needed in English.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Strong organizational skills with ability to set, manage, and meet deadlines and manage multiple tasks with strict attention to detail.
- Demonstrate creativity, initiative, and the ability to work independently.
- Ability to relate well with others across multiple cultures, working styles, and other differences.
- Ability to manage confidential information including financial data.
- Successful experience in resource development--to support United Way Worldwide’s work in Latin America & the Caribbean.
- Successful experience in resource development--to assist in training United Way Worldwide’s Network Partners in fundraising techniques.
- Strong fiscal management skills.
- Good Microsoft Office Suite skills.
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.