Position Title: Vice President, Health Equity
Reports to: Senior Vice President, Chief Impact and Strategy Officer
Organization Summary: United Way of New York City (UWNYC) is a nonprofit mobilizing people and organizations to eradicate barriers and create opportunities that improve the lives of low-income New Yorkers. Part of the United Way Worldwide system, one of the world's most recognized charitable brands, we envision caring communities in which all individuals and families have access to quality education and the opportunity to lead healthy and financially secure lives. We strive to model our values in all our relationships, both internal and external: Collaboration, Compassion, Integrity, Accountability, and Superior Performance.
UWNYC’s Health Equity strategy: UWNYC’s Health Equity strategy: Black communities continue to be disproportionately affected by the COVID-19 epidemic in the United States. In response to these racial health disparities, the Choose Healthy Life (CHL) initiative was launched in five cities (Atlanta, Detroit, Newark, New York City, District of Columbia) to promote and conduct COVID – 19 testing and vaccination, leveraging networks in the Black-faith community to lead implementation and build confidence in health interventions
With funding from the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), UWNYC will expand the CHL model to nine additional states to promote COVID-19 vaccination in Black communities. In parallel, UWNYC seeks to leverage the momentum, program infrastructure, and partnerships that were formed by the CHL initiative to launch a Health Equity unit that will continue to lead CHL and leverage UWNYC’s expertise as a backbone organization to align multiple partners around a shared vision to develop scalable programs that address health disparities and social determinants of health.
Position Description: The Vice President (VP) of Health Equity plays a strategic leadership role within the Community Impact department and reports to the Chief Impact and Strategy Officer. This person will lead the programmatic implementation and expansion of Choose Healthy Life (CHL), while also leading the strategic development of UWNYC’s Health Equity unit. The VP will enable UWNYC to serve as a backbone in health equity work by mobilizing partners around a shared vision and identifying innovative opportunities to address health disparities in communities of color in New York City.
Health Equity is an emerging unit and UWNYC will look to the VP to lead the unit’s key strategies and objectives as well as set metrics, impact goals, and operational & organizational structures. This unit is essentially in “startup” mode and requires an entrepreneurial individual who is comfortable and inspired by building a new unit. The VP will work closely with UWNYC’s Executive Leadership Team, Community Impact Leadership team, Board of Directors, and network of corporate, philanthropic, academic, and community-based partners. In addition, this position will manage relationships with key government agencies, funding partners, and health system stakeholders to design and implement health equity initiatives.
In partnership with Chief Impact and Strategy Officer, the VP of Health Equity sets strategic direction for Health Equity initiatives to ensure well-designed, implemented and resourced programs and strategies. The VP also plays a key strategic leadership role within the Community Impact department, cross-functionally with their internal peers in the Community Impact Department (Education, Food and Benefits Access, Workforce and Economic Mobility, Justice and Opportunity, StrengthenNYC, AdvocateNYC, and Transformation and Learning), Marketing & Communications and Resource Development, as well as external corporate, philanthropic and community partners.
Specifically, the VP will be expected to:
- Coordinate scoping activities and landscape analysis to identify priorities and set strategic direction of the Health Equity portfolio.
- Develop a cohesive vision for cross-sector initiatives that draw on the organization’s strengths and respond to gaps in broader public health programming.
- Develop and manage strategic partnerships with external partners, including corporate, government, philanthropy, and academic partners, as well as public health organizations and policymakers in support of Health Equity goals.
- Partner across UWNYC initiatives to address intersecting drivers of health and improve health outcomes for families and children in neighborhoods of concentrated poverty.
- Engage community voices in discussions with decision-makers and engage wider audiences around health equity issues.
The VP of Health Equity will collaborate with team leaders to design, implement, and scale programs and strategies to meet program and unit goals and align with cross sector initiatives.
- Expand the CHL network of faith institutions and community-based organizations and develop a targeted engagement strategy to address barriers to vaccination in the Black community.
- Develop, manage, and adapt robust implementation plans for CHL program delivery and expansion.
- Lead and support the development of program performance measures aligned with UWNYC’s Results Based Accountability (RBA) approach, funding requirements, and organizational priorities.
- Leverage existing network of faith institutions, and Health Navigators to develop programmatic initiatives related to chronic public health issues, including obesity, hypertension, and diabetes
- Oversee the development of data collection tools and systems, and empower stakeholders to use data to learn, guide activities, and adapt programming.
- Align technical assistance and capacity building supports for partners to strengthen implementation and build resilient organizations to effectively serve communities.
- Generate content for funder reports and other strategic documents on program planning, activities, and outcomes.
- Build on lessons learned through implementation of CHL to engage stakeholders around design and implementation of future health equity initiatives.
Lead a small team to implement and scale CHL. Manage external partners and/or consultants to conduct landscape analysis and develop priorities for Health Equity unit. Engage leaders and staff across the organization in strategic planning and operationalizing vision of Health Equity unit. Develop clear job descriptions for roles needed to support the unit’s development and build out team, as needed.
Inspire the trust and confidence of others, which includes staff, Board members and external stakeholders with whom the role interacts. The position requires the ability to lead and collaborate with a diverse team of professionals, including UWNYC staff and leadership, consultants, external collaboration partners, and with our community partners and community members. The VP will be expected to lead others to a place of clarity and commitment and demonstrate UWNYC’s core values (Collaboration, Compassion, Integrity, Accountability, and Superior Performance) in all internal and external relationships.
Qualifications & Skills
Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Master’s degree in public health or related field preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible positions in public health or related social services field
- Strategic program planning, management, and evaluation, including government grant administration and financial management
- Facilitation and management of cross-sectoral initiatives
- People management
- In-depth knowledge of public health, social determinants of health, structural racism and other systemic barriers that contribute to health inequities.
- Excellent writing, editing, verbal, and presentation skills
- Innovative thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and results
- Experience with using population and program data to inform strategic and programmatic decisions
- Demonstrated experience building, leading, and mentoring a team of program leaders and specialists, both internal and external
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills
- Superior management skills, including the ability to advocate for and manage to budget priorities
- Presence and confidence to project credibility to community partners, the Board, Executive Leadership Team, and other strategic stakeholders
- A passion for UWNYC’s mission, vision, and accomplishments
- Equity Mindset
- Network Mindset
- Learning Mindset
- Think Strategically: Applies appropriate strategic logic to decisions and initiatives. Identifies efforts that will have the greatest strategic impact.
- Promote Collaboration: Fosters a sense of teamwork, leverages differences, and facilitates the effective interaction and contribution of others to achieve goals.
- Build Talent: Ensures the availability and development of the talent needed to meet current and future organizational goals.
- Engage and Inspire: Articulates and inspires commitment to a plan of action aligned with organizational mission and goals.
- Inspire Trust: Gains the confidence and trust of others through principled leadership and sound business ethics.
- Innovate: Champions new ideas and initiatives and creates an environment that supports innovation.
- Focus on Community: Ensures the delivery of exceptional service and value to the communities we serve.
United Way of NYC Core Competencies for All Staff
Mission Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to the mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before processes and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
Collaborator: Understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement
Results Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good: creating, resourcing, scaling and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact
Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.
How to Apply:
Please send cover letter with salary requirements and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title "Vice President, Health Equity" in the subject line. No phone calls or faxes accepted.
United Way of New York City is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
REQUIRED - Covid 19 Vaccination