FLSA Status: Full Time, Exempt
Reports to: President/CEO
Core Hours: Mon-Fri; 8 AM-5PM, Must be able to work a flexible schedule including some early morning, evening, or weekend work
Supports and advances United Way of the Piedmont’s (UWP) mission – connect, engage, and inspire people to transform our community by leading and implementing UWP’s financial, administrative, and operational strategy. Provides leadership and overall management direction for wide range of activities related to finance, accounting, human resources, information technology, facilities, administration, and discretionary activities that support effective business operations. Directs financial and administration activities of the organization by performing duties personally or through subordinate staff. Leads and directs all F&A team members and leads the organization as a member of the Senior Leadership Team.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
Finance and Administration Competencies
- Provides timely and accurate analyses and financial reporting to ensure the highest level of financial oversight by executives and board members.
- Leads and manages the budget and financial forecasting processes, as well as institute and maintain systems of internal controls, including evaluation and implementation of financial policies, procedures, and standards designed to preserve organizational assets.
- Interprets statistical and accounting information to assess operating results in terms of performance against budget, cash flow projections, long-term sustainability, and the operating effectiveness of the organization.
- Adeptly manages the financial complexity of both unrestricted and restricted (designated) revenue streams. Safeguards the organization’s assets, including the community fiduciary and brand trust.
- Ensures compliance across the organization with governance requirements and applicable local and international regulatory laws, rules for financial and tax reporting, and UWW membership compliance and reporting – unafraid to act where non-compliance is identified.
- Initiates capital expenditures and develops implementation strategies.
- Operational and Human Resource Excellence
- Leads and manages internal and external professional resources to achieve our HR strategy.
- Administers payroll and benefits and analyzes cost and competitiveness of benefits package.
- Maintains employee handbook and related documentation to ensure compliance with federal and state employment laws.
- Maintains accurate and up-to-date employee personnel records; archives and stores former employee records in accordance with federal guidelines.
- Serves as lead in Disability, Worker’s Compensation, and Unemployment Insurance claims, as well as employment verification requests and provides information to stakeholders as needed.
- Maintains knowledge of legal requirements related to HR for risk reduction, regulatory compliance, and improvement of existing policies and procedures or implementation of new policies and procedures.
- Oversees UWP facilities, manages leases, and ensures appropriate insurance coverage.
- Provides leadership in the critical role of data, technology, and information in financial management.
- Builds and supports the critical linkages between accounting information systems and other databases and information systems at UWP, such as StatusLIVE donor management and human resource systems.
- Oversees and manages the organization’s information systems including the selection, installation, and maintenance of hardware, software, networking, and data management and communication for efficient and effective operation.
- Selects and manages internal and external professional resources to achieve UWP’s strategic direction for data and technology.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule with the possibility of some early morning and evenings.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Organizational Leadership
- Assures the continuity of operations in the President/CEO’s absence.
- Actively engages as a member of the Senior Team to provide a united, visible, and strong leadership presence across the organization to inspire trust, innovative thinking, focus, and prioritization in the execution of UWP’s strategic plan.
- Establishes effective and efficient processes that align department priorities with other department’s priorities and UWP’s goals, strategy, and mission.
- Provides leadership and support and builds strong relationships with Chairs and members of the Finance and Audit Committees in a way that helps execute strategy.
- Talent Management and People Development
- Identifies, develops, and leads a diverse, talented team of staff and volunteers aligning work with mission and strategic plan for organizational success.
- Inspires, supports, and responds to team members to build trust, confidence, high performance, and results through coaching, mentoring, delegation, and professional development.
- Outward Focus
- Develops strategic relationships at the local, state, and national levels to benefit UWP and the community.
- Is present and visible in the community and with stakeholders; know key players in community and diligently build and expand those relationships.
- Seeks learning from inside and outside the UW network to build skills, knowledge, and abilities to challenge the organization in reaching its potential.
- Is an effective spokesperson for UWP and its work; possesses credibility as a leader on critical issues and solutions affecting the community.
- Mission Focused: Understands how role and responsibilities impact UWP’s ability to deliver on their mission, strives vigorously to accomplish shared goals, and seeks to create a positive, meaningful experience for each donor, advocate, and volunteer.
- Relationship Oriented: Understands people come before process, cultivates and manages relationships toward a common goal through effective communication which fosters an open, trusting, collaborative environment, engages in active listening to understand the perspectives, motivations, goals and aspirations of individuals and organizations, treats others with respect and dignity, and successfully navigates challenging conversations to educate and to find appropriate solutions.
- Collaborator: Seeks and shares knowledge of community, takes a cooperative approach to address issues focusing on shared goals, and involves multiple people, sectors, and resources to obtain a variety of perspectives and potential solutions.
- Results-Driven: Creates, resources, scales, and leverages strategies and innovations for broad investment and support of UWP’s strategic plan, models excellence, takes calculated risks to achieve goals, exhibits a passion for continuous improvement, and creates environment where others can “fail forward” and achieve “stretch” goals.
- Brand Steward: Exemplifies integrity, reliability, accountability, confidentiality, and strong ethics to foster trust with team members, donors, community, and across the UWW network and understands role in growing and protecting the UWP brand and reputation.
- Effective Communicator: Demonstrates ability to communicate clearly and concisely to diverse audiences in a culturally appropriate manner, both verbally and in written format, to persuade or influence actions and points of view and the ability to respond and resolve issues using creativity, resourcefulness, negotiation, and diplomacy.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS and EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree required, preferably in Accounting; MBA or CPA preferred.
- 7+ years of accounting, financial management, and operational experience in complex non-profit and/or for-profit sector; experience in mid to large United Way Member organization preferred.
- Supervisory and management experience required.
- Strong understanding of cost accounting principles, unit/departmental segmentation, and management accounting preferred.
- Possess strong leadership, negotiation, communication, coaching, problem solving, project management, and analytical skills.
- Proficiency in a Microsoft Office environment – Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and Outlook and experience working with databases required.
- Experience with MIP accounting software desirable.
- Experience in StratusLIVE donor management software and/or Microsoft CRM highly desirable.
- Experience in successful strategic planning and execution.
- Proficiency in effective presentation of information and ideas to executive team and board of directors.
- Track record of building and coaching strong, productive teams in a collaborative environment.
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to organize, prioritize, and adjust in an ever-changing environment without sacrificing quality and accuracy of work.
- Must have valid driver’s license and access to transportation throughout the workday.
- Regular and sustained attendance required.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS and WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing these job duties, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit, talk, hear, and use hands and fingers to operate a computer and telephone. The employee is frequently required to reach, stoop, or kneel. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance, and color vision due to computer work. May be required to lift, push, or pull up to 50 pounds occasionally.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. There is moderate noise associated with a business office including telephones, computer keyboards, printers, office traffic, and visitors. The work environment requires the individual to have the ability to work in a confined space and sit at a computer terminal or in conference rooms.
United Way of the Piedmont is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Employer of National Service, AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other Nation Service. Alumni are encouraged to apply.
To apply: Please provide cover letter and resume to Human Resources at HR@uwpiedmont.org.