At Heart of West Michigan United Way, we unite community resources to invest in solutions that reduce poverty in West Michigan. Our staff, volunteers, donors, and agency partners are committed to creating lasting, sustainable changes that transform lives and
build a thriving community for us all.
The VP of Donor Strategy and Engagement orchestrates the planning and execution of all fund development, marketing, and volunteer activities that drive support and engagement, and deepen involvement with the work of United Way. This role leads the
organization’s ongoing digital evolution allowing data trends and supporter insights to drive strategies that deliver customized communications and experiences. This position is
also responsible for innovating and reimagining an individual and business engagement model that supports both community impact goals and strengthens relationships. The VP of Donor Strategy and Engagement leads a departmental team with multiple Director and
Manager direct reporting relationships.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
Oversee the development and implementation of a strategic annual and community
fundraising plan that draws resources from multiple sources (current and new) in
public and private sectors – corporations, individuals, foundations, government, and
nonprofits. Build the organization’s capacity to diversify and expand its funding
• Lead the development and execution of all marketing campaign and fundraising tools
including print, video, digital, web-based communication, online donations, etc.
• Envision and execute key resource development and donor strategies.
• Build new and grow existing relationships with key corporations, donors and
prospects to understand their needs, leverage their gifts, and communicate
• Develop and implement a strategic, segmented, donor communication, marketing,
and events plan.
• Build the organization’s capacity to diversify the donor pipeline and expand the brand
experience across sectors through offering volunteer opportunities as well as giving.
• Maintain the United Way brand in compliance with United Way Worldwide standards
and manage Heart of West Michigan United Way’s brand for consistency and
• Maintain an in-depth knowledge of fundraising best practices, trends, and strategies,
including research of peer and comparable local United Ways; utilize these best practices to
attract/retain donors and new businesses.
• Provide budget projection and oversight on all department activities to include deploying
resources within budget restrictions.
• Provide leadership, coaching, and direct and evaluate the work of Donor Strategy and
Engagement Team, specifically the roles that report to this position.
• Foster a culture that motivates staff to support United Way’s long-term vision.
• Provide oversight and leadership for all Volunteer Center key initiatives.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and/or Experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree in a related field required; MPA or MBA preferred.
• At least 10 years in a leadership/management role preferably within a fund development field, non-profit sector, or a high-level sales management or marketing position.
• Proficiency with fundraising applications, donor management systems, and marketing analysis, and using available data to perform comprehensive donor data analysis and reporting, with a strong understanding of data utilization and management, as well as the effective use of fundraising technology and data for strategic operations and decision making.
• Requires the ability to develop and execute on strategies
• Excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to engage and inspire a wide range of audiences.
• Verified track record of meeting or exceeding measurable fundraising goals in a medium to large, fast-paced nonprofit environment.
• Proven track record of generating revenue through marketing and/or sales initiatives.
• Experience in the use of social media and social networking (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, website).
• Demonstrated skills in planning, task and time management, delegation, and oversight of others’ work.
• Ability to successfully navigate community leadership and high-profile community members’ interests within United Way while keeping United Way focused on mission.
• Commitment to foster an inclusive and racism free environment.
• Proven team leadership and development.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
• Work outside of standard business hours, along with frequent local travel is required.
• Required to attend community events and activities related to United Way’s goals.
Interested candidates should submit their resume and cover letter to email@example.com
As an Equal Employment Opportunity employer, we are committed to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals. Employment decisions at HWMUW will be based on HWMUW’s determinations of merit, qualifications, and/or abilities. HWMUW supports and complies with applicable laws prohibiting discrimination in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, disability, membership in any labor organization, U.S. military veteran status, height, weight, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identification or any other characteristic protected by law.