UWBA is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce. UWBA is committed to building and maintaining a diverse staff and an inclusive workplace that values equity. We welcome applications from immigrants, BIPOC, LGBTQ applicants, and people
Reports to: Chief Development Officer
Closing Date: Open until filled
United Way Bay Area (UWBA) is leading a network of corporations, government agencies, nonprofits, and individuals to create lasting change for Bay Area residents and families. With a history that spans over 90 years and programs that tackle the issue of local poverty from every angle, UWBA is uniquely positioned to mobilize and motivate all sectors of the community toward the vision of ending the cycle of poverty.
As UWBA responds to cultural shifts in the workplace, fundraising, and digital communications, it is guided by core values of innovation and results-driven creativity. Through a variety of existing and emerging initiatives, UWBA seeks to both strengthen and re-imagine its work at all levels in order provide more and better opportunities for struggling Bay Area residents.
For more information about UWBA, please visit http://uwba.org.
The Vice President, Development will serve as a valued member of the Leadership Team, reporting to the Chief Development Officer. Working closely with the Leadership Team on strategic direction, the Vice President, Development will oversee fundraising, partnership, and donor engagement efforts required to support the long-term strategic direction of the organization. They will guide implementation of development strategies including integrated relationship management and holistic expansion of partnerships built on shared purpose and mutual value. The VP, Development will provide day-to-day leadership of the Development Department, orchestrating and integrating the efforts of each group within the team, which includes Corporate Engagement, Institutional Grants, and Individual Donors. They will drive continual growth of an inclusive and collaborative culture of philanthropy within the department, among our constituents, and – in partnership with the CDO – across the entire organization.
What you’ll do:
- Reporting to and partnering closely with the Chief Development Officer (CDO), the VP, Development will work with the leadership team, development team, donors and other key constituents to lead, drive and catalyze innovations that both maintain and transform the organization’s revenue model in order to achieve the bold mission of cutting poverty in the Bay Area in half.
- The VP, Development will work with the CDO to set Development strategy and execute on resulting plans. They will oversee donor engagement initiatives to strengthen constituent relationships and create awareness of the role that UWBA plays in the community and aggressively build financial support for UWBA. This includes driving strategic corporate partnerships, employee engagement and cause marketing solutions, as well as innovations to further participation from high-net-worth individuals and institutional donors. The VP, Development will also actively manage a donor and partnership portfolio by personally participating in stewardship, cultivation, and solicitation.
- The VP, Development will guide staff and volunteers in developing and executing strategies for raising $30,000,000+ annually, including $18,000,000+ of funding for UWBA programs and operations. Meanwhile, the VP, Development will partner with the CDO to develop a strategic plan that establishes goals and strategies for doubling revenue targets in three to five years.
- The VP, Development will lead a best-in-class development program and will oversee and manage a team currently of 9 professionals, including three Senior Directors. As a member of the leadership team, the VP, Development will work collaboratively modeling effective, on-going cross departmental partnerships.
- The VP, Development will be a leader in fight to end poverty, addressing disproportionate impacts of poverty on BIPOC communities, and standing against racism, which hampers the ability of all people to thrive.
- Finally, the VP, Development enhance UWBA’s overall approach to development – one that creates a true culture of philanthropy and collaboration throughout the organization, improves and develops sustained success in contributed revenue, and ultimately fulfills UWBA’s mission and achieves its vision. The VP, Development will accelerate and deepen the organization’s commitment to evolving a true CRM culture.
Who you are / your experience:
- 10+ years’ experience in development, with at least 3 years’ experience managing 3 or more staff members.
- A successful track record as a leader in the field of development with a wide range of fundraising channels including individuals, corporations, foundations, and government. (Other revenue generating experience may also be considered).
- Articulate in defining corporate partnership strategy and setting a vision for UWBA’s capabilities to drive corporate social responsibilities across multiple business segments.
- A firm commitment to the goals and objectives of UWBA, and to the belief that UWBA can make a powerful and positive impact on the community.
- Strong technological acumen with experience leading a data-driven approach to development/revenue generation and a proven ability to use metrics to inform and drive decisions and achieve strategic objectives.
- A comprehensive understanding of Salesforce and other donor management or CRM systems and tools.
- Strategic and results-oriented leader with the ability to oversee the execution of a development plan with success measured against key performance indicators.
- Exceptional people skills with the flexibility and foresight to institute contemporary management practices.
- Grow the team that will manage partner programs and increase the partnership pipeline.
- A demonstrated commitment to diversity, social justice, equity, and inclusion.
- Innovative, energetic, and able to function well in a fast-paced, team environment, which includes cross-department coordination driving a culture of collaboration, accountability, and effectiveness.
- Skilled at building and sustaining excellent relationships at multiple levels with varied constituencies, including donors, leadership team, corporate and community leaders, other UWBA departments, and local United Ways across the country.
- An excellent listener and communicator who can be inspirational and motivational, both one-on-one and as a public speaker.
- An appreciation for serving the Bay Area community.
Salary: $160,000 - $185,000 Salary Exempt
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
UWBA does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender (including actual or perceived gender, and gender identity), sexual orientation, age, marital status, medical condition, religious affiliation, veteran status, national origin, citizenship status, mental or physical disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable state, federal or local law. UWBA will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in the manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. If you need a reasonable accommodation in order to apply for a job, please let us know. If the reason you need an accommodation is not obvious, we may ask for documentation confirming your functional limitations.
Please include salary requirements in cover letter.
Login at www.uwba.org/careers and submit your resume along with cover letter