NOTE: This position is a repost. If you previously applied, you will be considered:
The Vice President, Community Resource Solutions will be a leader and key contributor to developing and advancing the United Way network strategy and business development for the 211 program. This individual will develop and execute upon an ambitious vision for maximizing the impact, reach, and potential of the 211 network across the world.
The 211 program, managed at United Way Worldwide, is the most comprehensive source of information about local resources and services in the US and has expanded into Canada. The 211 network in the United States responds to an average of 20 million requests for help annually. Most calls, web chats, and text messages are from people looking for help meeting basic needs like housing, food, transportation, and health care.
The outcomes pursued by this systems-level leader will increase the capacity of 211 networks to activate network-wide priorities, which include:
- Awareness: Promote and position the 211 network along with United Way as critical infrastructure to address social determinants of health in local communities by developing strategic engagement opportunities, representing 211 and United Way in public forums and with policy makers.
- Impact: Identify and scale best practices for the 211 network to improve equitable access to important safety-net and disaster-response services
- Strategic Insights: Capture and mobilize data to amplify access to needed services and to inform policy
- Partnerships: Drive sustainable relationships and support by framing and executing innovative partnerships between the 211 network, United Ways and national entities including federal government, foundations and corporations
United Way Worldwide serves as a champion to the 211 network. As a senior leader at United Way Worldwide, the Vice President will partner with a wide array of external partners, including philanthropic, corporate, federal government, elected leaders, non-governmental organizations and other system leaders. The strategic leadership will increase understanding of the value of the 211 network to catalyze cross-sector innovation and build relationships that will drive long-term growth, create mission-focused revenue generating activities, inform public policy-decisions and outcomes, and increase relevance and sustainability for both 211 and United Way network members.
The Vice President will work extensively with leaders within the United Way and 211 network including state networks, local United Ways and nonprofit sector partners. This leader will work cross-functionally within the United Way Worldwide operation, building strong and effective partnerships to enhance the effectiveness and success of the 211 network and United Ways.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL DUTIES OF POSITION
211 Network Leadership
Lead the partnership between United Way Worldwide and the 211 network to accelerate the strategic vision for the 211 network, including:
- Foster distributed leadership, mutual accountability and interdependencies, alignment and equity between the 211 network and United Way
- Partner to develop and execute a 211 binational strategy that can adapt to new opportunities and emerging technical advancements; strengthens 211 capabilities; and addresses the growing need for cross-sector partnerships to improve equity, access to social services and effective public policy
- Identify and scale best practices and support their adoption by 211s to achieve results and increase sustainability
- Manage consistent and meaningful communications with the 211 network and United Ways to foster network trust and partnership
- Participate in United Way Worldwide’s disaster-response program, providing technical assistance and coordinating the distribution of disaster-response resources to local and state 211s and United Ways
Government, Foundation and Corporate Relationships
Work in close collaboration with the United Way Worldwide Policy, Community Impact and Development teams, as well as leaders of the 211 network, to build strong and sustained relationships and resources to benefit the 211 network and United Way, including:
- Promote and advance 211 as a critical partner with federal agencies and Fortune 500 companies to raise funds, connect help seekers throughout the United States and North America with resources in their local communities, and provide data-driven insights to inform planning, policy making and resource investment
- Leverage existing 211 network initiatives to achieve strategic benchmarks and facilitate the implementation of the binational 211 network strategy
- Represent United Way and 211 through participation in coalitions, speaking at conferences, media events and other forums to strengthen the United Way and 211 brands and advocate for increased investment in the social service sector.
Data and Insights
Work in partnership with 211 network and United Way leadership to design and deploy efforts related to data collection, standardization and analysis, including:
- Maximize opportunities to create and present data insights to inform United Way and external partner impact, policy and resource allocation strategies
- Develop a business strategy for financial sustainability for 211 data and provide business guidance and best practices for participating 211 organizations
United Way Worldwide Team Leadership
- Develop annual work plans and provide leadership and supp ort to the United Way Worldwide team to achieve goals, objectives and defined performance targets.
- Work cross functionally with United Way Worldwide team to ensure the 211 network and strategy is integrated into the work of the organization.
- Take action on other duties as assigned
Minimum requirements include:
- Bachelor’s degree or commensurate experience, Master’s degree preferred
- 10 to 15 years of relevant work experience that includes partnering with networks and working on public health or social services policy and program implementation
- Ability to set vision and direction and invest key internal and external stakeholders in shared goals/outcomes
- Experience negotiating and managing complex contracts or business deals
- Experience briefing senior leaders in policy or business, using data and insights to influence major decisions
- Experience developing and delivering external facing communications, presenting in a compelling way to various stakeholders
- Experience managing cross functional teams and ability to lead and implement complex initiatives
- Skilled at building and maintaining coalitions to support critical issues
- Proven project and program management skills
- Experience working with fundraising and managing private and public sector resources
- Experience managing $1M+ budget
- Experience managing data and analytics projects to show impact and drive policy
- Passion for serving individuals and communities
- Ability to work and lead with minimal supervision and to excel in a fast-paced environment
- 211 Network or similar information and referral system experience preferred
- Experience working in government or policy preferred
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all required duties, responsibilities and skills. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable disabled individuals to perform the essential functions of the job.
The budgeted salary range for this position is currently $141,000 to $188,000 per year. Proffered salaries are determined by several factors including applicant’s knowledge, skills, experience, position, equity, and market data.
ABOUT UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE
United Way Worldwide seeks diverse, qualified professionals who want to make a difference in the world. If you are passionate about your work and desire to help others achieve enhanced education, income, and health, United Way Worldwide is the place for you.
United Way Worldwide is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, disability, veteran status, marital status, age, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin or ancestry, genetic information, and other legally protected characteristics, in accordance with applicable laws. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please e-mail Jennifer.Chavez@uww,unitedway.org or call 703-683-7874 and provide the nature of your request and your contact information.
We are a charter member of Employers of National Service and encourage AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni to apply.
United Way Worldwide is located in Old Town Alexandria, VA. We offer competitive salary and excellent benefits including: health, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability, employee assistance program, 403(b) plan, tuition assistance, paid time off, family sick leave, medical appointment leave, parental/adoption leave, dress for your day, free parking, onsite gym, monthly volunteering opportunities, and more. Most benefits begin on the first day of the month following your start date.
UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE’S DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION STATEMENT OF PRINCIPLE
We take the broadest possible view of diversity.
We value the visible and invisible qualities that make you who you are.
We welcome that every person brings a unique perspective and experience to advance our mission and progress our fight for the health, education, and financial stability of every person in every community.
We believe that each United Way community member, donor, volunteer, advocate, and employee must have equal access to solving community problems.
We strive to include diversity, equity, and inclusion practices at the center of our daily work.
We commit to using these practices for our business and our communities.
Join us in embracing diversity, equity and inclusion for every person in every community.