Vision and Mission:
At United Way of Northeast Florida, we envision a community of opportunity where everyone has hope and can reach their full potential. Our mission is to solve our community’s toughest challenges by connecting people, resources and ideas.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is not only valued and demonstrated in our hiring practices, it is a fundamental part of our mission throughout our organization and the communities we serve.
Purpose of Position:
The Vice President of Community Impact and Strategic Investments is an entrepreneurial, innovative and visionary leader responsible for the organization’s design, implementation and management of a dynamic, and equitable impact and investment platform to support the vision and mission of the organization. The incumbent will lead and manage a high performing team to design high-quality community impact initiatives and drive results in specific cause areas including basic needs, financial stability, education, health, and innovation. Additionally, the incumbent is responsible for the successful strategic planning, management and leadership of the organization’s internal initiatives and 2-1-1 call center. Working closely with senior leadership, key volunteers, donors, and community stakeholders, the incumbent will build strategic partnerships and collaborations that drive positive community change at the individual, programmatic, and community level.
Key Responsibilities and Essential Functions:
As a member of the senior leadership team, the Vice President of Community Impact and Strategic Investments will work across the organization to clearly articulate the vision, role, scope and impact of UWNEFL’s portfolio of initiatives and investments and will:
- Serve as an integral member of the senior leadership team. Assist the President and CEO and senior management team with long-range organizational vision and strategy development and implementation.
- Establish and nurture a network of relationships within the non-profit, government and corporate community to support the overall organizational as well as departmental goals.
- Represent the organization and President and CEO on key committees, boards and is actively engaged on a national level with peer groups and innovation circles.
- Achieve and maintain leadership and/or prominent advisory roles on key community strategic planning groups in order to facilitate increased effectiveness and efficiency in the community’s human service delivery system.
- Provide other United Way departments with supportive consultation, data, and reports, to help achieve departmental, organization and community goals.
Research, Strategy Development and Implementation:
- Review national and global health and social science research to identify new and promising investment and direct service delivery strategies
- Analyze current and changing community issues to include, but not limited to demographics, health and human service needs, community feedback, partnership opportunities
- Develop and propose new community investment approaches and concepts for consideration by senior leadership and volunteers such as collective impact, social innovation and entrepreneurial initiatives that are in alignment with the organizational vision and mission
- Lead the successful design and implementation of new selected strategies
Community Investment and Impact
- Lead the design and or re-design of community impact strategies and investment models
- Ensure that initiatives and investments are aligned with the selected strategies and have continuous assessment and evaluation that measure outcomes and impact
- Oversee data collection, management and analysis and present information in a manner that is easily understood and communicated to key constituent. Report results in a timely manner
- Provide leadership in grant writing and proposal development to ensure community investment activities, programs and initiatives are appropriately funded
- Manage key, and sometimes sensitive, volunteer and community partner relationships
- Ensure that key reports, grants and surveys are submitted on time and in accordance with the organizations high standards
- Position the community impact work in the community, locally and nationally
Community Impact Council & Volunteer Management
- Work in partnership with the President and CEO to identify and recruit a diverse and dynamic group of business, academic and community change leaders to serve on the Community Impact Council (CIC), a standing board-level council
- Manage and partner with the volunteer CIC Chair to work with the council to guide the development and implementation of the organization’s community impact and investment strategies
- Lead the management and development of a high-performing community impact team
- Provide specific and meaningful coaching, motivation and talent development
- Provide senior management oversight - including day to day management, budget development and monitoring - of community impact staff responsible for the following programs/functions:
- Full Service Schools
- Success by Six
- Achievers for Life
- 211 Information and Referral & 988 Crisis
- Mission United
- Fund distribution
- Public Policy
- Work closely with Resource Development and other areas of the organization to promote and fund United Way’s community impact work
- Champion a culture of teamwork, continuous learning and improvement while upholding the values of the organization
- Participate in and take a leadership role in other departmental and organizational opportunities and initiatives as requested or needed
- Serve as an active member of civic or professional association locally that will help to increase visibility of United Way and build new relationships
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, non-profit management, or human service related field required; Master’s degree in related field preferred
- Minimum ten years professional experience in management, community impact work, grant development, research and/or statistics preferred
- Minimum of seven years of supervisory/management experience preferred
- Proven talent management and development skills preferred
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Excellent analytical capacity and organizational skills
- Excellent volunteer management skills
- Demonstrated ability to handle complex and complicated business issues
- Strong knowledge and use of current Microsoft Office software and applications
Professional Core Competencies Required:
- Mission Focused: Creates real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives performance and professional motivations.
- Relationship Oriented: Places people before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
- Collaborator (Includes teamwork and communication): Understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial & human) through meaningful engagement. Strong supporter of a team environment.
- Results Driven: Dedicates efforts to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
- Brand Steward: Understands role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.
- Talent Management: Builds and leads a diverse high-performing team that enables the organization to succeed; open to new ideas and coaches and mentors employees and teams.
- Business Acumen: Understands business of the organization and effective strategy.
- Operational Planning and Execution: Aligns departmental priorities with the greater organization goals, strategy and mission.
- Outward Turning and Community Collaborator: Develops network of partners in the community and establishes credibility as a leader. Assesses community needs with authenticity and humility.
- Effective and Engaging Communicator: Articulates the United Way message in a way that inspires others to act in service to the organization and the community.
- Critical Thinking and Creative Problem Solving: Gathers, interprets and uses data to drive strategy development, make decisions and drive for results.
- Planning and Implementation: Takes initiative in planning and developing initiatives to achieve results that drive collective community outcomes.
- Embracing and Managing Change: Champions and facilitates change to ensure long-term community sustainability.
- Visionary & Innovative: Forward-thinking; initiates and leads change and transformation. Values learning and development of self and others.
General Physical Requirements for Essential Functions of the Job:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to sit, talk, and/or hear. Continual use of the hands with wrist and finger movement using a keyboard is required. Specific vision abilities required by this job include long hours viewing a computer monitor screen. The employee may occasionally travel using personal vehicle and/or work outside normal office environment.
This description is not designed to contain a comprehensive inventory of all responsibilities and qualifications required of all team members assigned to this position. It is intended only to describe the key elements relative to each section. Also, duties and/or requirements of this position may be modified, added or deleted at any time. This supersedes all descriptions previously written for the same position. Unique equivalent skills and experience may possibly substitute for required position requirements.
United Way of Northeast Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug Free Work Environment