Job Title: Vice President of Communications and Events
Posting Timeframe: Desired Start Date: January 29, 2024
Position Type: Exempt – full time (40 hours per week)
Salary Range: $84,000 - $87,000 annually, depending on experience and education. View full benefits on the Careers page of our website www.uwaylc.org
What it’s like to work at United Way
Are you a person who thrives on change and a fast-paced environment? Is passionate about making a difference in our community? Believes and practices equity by intentionally including everyone in society? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. You’ll be part of a nimble team that adapts to meet the needs of our community and makes impactful change where all people feel valued, safe, and have the opportunity to thrive.
We believe equity is achieved when systemic, institutional, and historical barriers based on race, gender, sexual orientation, and other identities no longer predict socioeconomic, education, and health outcomes. United Way is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the ethics of diversity and belonging. We strongly encourage applicants from historically excluded groups to apply. If you feel your skills, and more importantly your passions align with our mission, we encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet 100% of the posted qualifications.
Scope of Position
The Vice President of Communications and Events at United Way will be responsible for developing and implementing a comprehensive communication, marketing and events strategy that advances the organization's mission and goals, with a strong emphasis on fostering inclusive communications and practices. As a key member of the executive team, the position will lead the creation and execution of impactful messaging, marketing campaigns, and public relations initiatives that effectively engage diverse stakeholders and communities. The VP of Communications and Events will play a pivotal role in promoting United Way's commitment to inclusion and diversity in all communications and marketing efforts.
- Develop and Implement Comprehensive Communications Strategy: Align communications with United Way's vision, mission, and values, incorporating inclusive practices and asset-framed messaging for diverse communities and stakeholders.
- Lead Marketing and Brand Initiatives: Oversee inclusive marketing campaigns and brand messages that effectively communicate the impact of United Way's programs to diverse audiences.
- Design comprehensive event strategy and evaluation that solicits, stewards and retains broad array of community across fundraising, impact and engagement.
- Manage Media Relations: Cultivate strong media relationships for accurate and positive coverage of United Way's initiatives, engaging outlets to amplify inclusive messaging for diverse communities.
- Collaborate with Cross-Functional Teams: Align communication and marketing efforts with fundraising, community engagement, and program goals, fostering a collaborative, diverse, and inclusive work environment.
- Monitor and Evaluate Impact: Establish KPIs to measure the effectiveness of inclusive communications, regularly assessing impact and making data-driven adjustments as needed.
- Stay Updated on Best Practices: Keep abreast of industry trends in inclusive communications and marketing, implementing innovative strategies promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion in all aspects of United Way's efforts.
- Budget Management: Develop and manage the communications and events budget, ensuring optimal resource allocation for inclusive practices and impactful communication initiatives.
- Education: Academic credentialing in business, communications and marketing, public relations, or related field preferred.
- Experience: Minimum of 3 years of demonstrated success in communications and marketing or relevant field. Experience in strategic planning, leadership roles, strong project management, supervision, and the non-profit sector is highly preferred.
- Commitment to Mission: Genuine passion for the non-profit sector and alignment with the organization's mission, values and committed to equity.
- Inclusive Communications Expertise: Bilingual English/Spanish preferred. Demonstrated experience in developing and executing culturally and linguistically attuned communications strategies.
- Team Leadership and Supervision: Proven ability to lead and inspire teams to create impactful messaging, marketing campaigns, and public relations initiatives that engage diverse stakeholders and communities.
- Collaboration Skills: Strong collaboration and teamwork abilities, with a track record of working effectively with cross-functional teams to achieve common goals.
- Media Relations: A solid understanding of media relations and demonstrated success in cultivating positive relationships with media outlets to promote inclusive messaging.
- Data-Driven Approach: Experience in establishing and utilizing KPIs to measure the effectiveness of communications initiatives, with a proven ability to make data-driven adjustments.
- Budget Management: Experience in developing and managing communications and marketing budgets, ensuring optimal resource allocation for inclusive practices and impactful communication initiatives.
- Technology Proficiency: Proficiency in diverse digital marketing platforms, CMS, CRM software, data analytics, graphic design software, email marketing tools, multimedia production, SEO, project management software, and virtual communication tools for comprehensive and inclusive outreach and engagement strategies. Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite is expected.
We are committed to maintaining a safe and healthy workplace for all employees. UWLC employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID unless they have received an exemption due to a medical condition.