NOTE: This position is located in Africa (Ghana, Nigeria or South Africa).
The primary purpose of this position is to lead United Way Worldwide’s strategic development and provide developmental support to its member organizations in Africa. United Way Worldwide works with local communities to build civil society and mobilize the caring power of communities to change community conditions in the areas of health, education and income. Success in this position is defined by the existence of successful, sustainable local United Way organizations which measurably improve lives throughout Africa . This position works under the direction of the Senior Vice President of Network Resilience and in close collaboration with the International Network Team as well as volunteer councils for the African regions.
The individual in this position proactively manages the strategy and plans; creates links with corporations and donors; helps identify and address barriers to success; responds to inquiries from member organizations regarding those plans and programs; and, coordinates with colleagues throughout the United Way Worldwide Network to facilitate intra- and inter-organizational communication.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL DUTIES OF POSITION
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty listed below at a satisfactory level:
- Responsible for providing expert advice and assistance to United Way Worldwide and its Network partners throughout Africa in the development and execution of United Way programs. Provides program design, management, and operational support for regional United Way activities.
- Serves as a source of information about relevant philanthropic trends and the perspectives and activities of other organizations and individuals working on similar and related issues.
- Collaborates with other Groups within United Way Worldwide to identify common issues across program areas. Develops joint project activities and related resource development opportunities.
- Develops and oversees the implementation of a United Way Worldwide regional strategic plan for Africa .
- Leads the development and staffing of an Africa Regional Advisory Councill.
- Responds to member requests for information and support.
- Identifies potential issues and provides technical assistance to all current United Way Worldwide Network partners in the African regions, with focus on subject areas outlined in United Way Worldwide’s Membership Requirements and Global Standards.
- Coordinates and implements Member information collection and sharing, while keeping Member organizations regularly involved with and informed about United Way Worldwide’s and Network Partners’ activities.
- Works with organizational leadership in recommending growth in United Way Worldwide’s regional presence in Africa , and United Way Worldwide’s headquarters support to current Network Partners, as well as for new United Way expansion possibilities, partnerships, and funding opportunities.
- Works with United Way Worldwide leadership to establish sustainable partnerships and to provide support in raising funds with and from worldwide organizations to support resource development for United Way Worldwide and its Network Partners in the African regions.
- Assists in the development and administration of Group plans, goals, and policies.
- Consults with multinational corporations regarding CSR priorities, international workplace campaigns, employee volunteer programs, and community projects.
- Holds primary responsibility for conducting periodic regional meetings.
- Responsible for supporting the effective performance of members of the African Team.
Minimum requirements include:
- Bachelor’s degree. Graduate degree in nonprofit/business management, international relations, or related field preferred.
- Ten years of progressive experience in a similar role.
- Three to five years of experience in a leadership role.
- Three to five years of experience with a local United Way organization and/or in comparable positions at nonprofit organization(s) and/or international business in the African region strongly preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English. Verbal and written proficiency in one or more additional languages regularly utilized on the African continent preferred.
- Highly organized and disciplined.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Able to set, manage, and meet deadlines and manage multiple tasks with strict attention to detail.
- Demonstrate creativity, initiative, and the ability to work independently.
- Ability to relate well with others across multiple cultures, working styles, and other differences.
- Ability to manage confidential information including financial data.
- Successful experience in resource development--to support United Way Worldwide’s work in the African region.
- Successful experience in resource development--to assist in training United Way Worldwide’s Network Partners in fundraising techniques.
- Excellent Microsoft Office Suite skills.
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all required duties, responsibilities and skills.
Note: If you are selected for an interview, you will be contacted. Thank you.
ABOUT UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE
United Way Worldwide seeks diverse, qualified professionals who want to make a difference in the world. If you are passionate about your work and desire to help others achieve enhanced education, income, and health, United Way Worldwide is the place for you.
United Way Worldwide is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, and other legally protected characteristics. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please e-mail email@example.com and provide the nature of your request and your contact information.
We are a charter member of Employers of National Service and encourage AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni to apply.
United Way Worldwide is located in Old Town Alexandria, VA. We offer competitive salary and excellent benefits including: health, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability, employee assistance program, 403(b) plan, tuition assistance, paid time off, family sick leave, medical appointment leave, parental/adoption leave, dress for your day, free parking, onsite gym, monthly volunteering opportunities, and more.
UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE’S DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION STATEMENT OF PRINCIPLE
We take the broadest possible view of diversity.
We value the visible and invisible qualities that make you who you are.
We welcome that every person brings a unique perspective and experience to advance our mission and progress our fight for the health, education, and financial stability of every person in every community.
We believe that each United Way community member, donor, volunteer, advocate, and employee must have equal access to solving community problems.
We strive to include diversity, equity, and inclusion practices at the center of our daily work.
We commit to using these practices for our business and our communities.
Join us in embracing diversity, equity, and inclusion for every person in every community.