Title: United Way of Pennsylvania VISTA Team Leader
Reports to: United Way of Pennsylvania Member Services Coordinator
VISTA Team Leaders bring passion and guidance to the VISTA program. The UWP Team Leader will be in the unique position of managing a statewide VISTA program with VISTA members serving in eight counties spread over Central and Southeast Pennsylvania. This position will require an innovative, motivated problem solver who has excellent interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills.
United Way of Pennsylvania is a nonprofit membership organization made up of United Ways across the Commonwealth. Our goal is to advance the mission of United Way by assisting and championing the efforts of local United Ways. Our current VISTA Project assigns VISTA members to serve at local United Ways across the state. These VISTA members work in eradicating poverty by improving education outcomes, combatting drug use, and promoting access to food security and critical resources.
- VISTA Team Leader will support successful United Way of PA (UWP) VISTA Project partnerships between CNCS, United Ways, and VISTA Team Members. These partnerships will build capacity for communities to serve low income Pennsylvanians
- VISTA Team Leader will build infrastructure and capacity of UWP to lead collaborative efforts which leverage the Americorps VISTA Program to strengthen programs that support low income Pennsylvanians.
- VISTA Team Leader will promote the UWP AmeriCorps VISTA Project by participating in education efforts, public relations outreach, and becoming an ambassador for the VISTA Project.
Essential Functions of the Job:
The UWP AmeriCorps VISTA Team Leader will be responsible for:
- Supporting and coordinating VISTA Members to increase the impact of UWP’s VISTA project and cultivating a culture that values collaboration
- Working to raise the statewide profile of United Way of PA’s VISTA Project by publicizing involvement and recruiting new sites
- Coordinating outreach to local United Ways who would benefit from AmeriCorps VISTA members and designing projects where United Ways can collaborate and network to the best of their abilities
- Evaluating, developing, and implementing outreach and recruitment strategies to bring hardworking, service-minded, and passionate VISTAs members to United Way of Pennsylvania’s project sites
- Gathering, organizing, and screening VISTA candidate applications, including contacting candidates for supplemental materials; coordinating interviews, and helping with intake process for new VISTA members
- Orienting and training new VISTA Members via a combination of site visits, one-on-one meetings, and team meetings
- Enhancing current procedures to improve VISTA transitions to their project sites
- Researching and developing new tools and resources to support the VISTA Members
- Providing guidance on projects and being a mentor and coach for each individual VISTA Member
- Developing and leading professional development trainings regularly for VISTA members
- Streamlining and coordinating data collection from VISTA Members for progress reports and monthly summaries
- Organizing and facilitating VISTA meetings, preparing agendas, meeting announcements, and meeting minutes
- Must have completed at least 1 full-time service term with AmeriCorps VISTA (12 months), AmeriCorps NCCC (10 months), an AmeriCorps State/National program (10 months), or a full Peace Corps term (2 years)
- Experience working with community volunteers, supervisors, sponsoring organizations, and the low-income community
- Excellent interpersonal, oral/written communication, and organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to motivate others and work as an inspiring and collaborative team player
- Familiarity with common technology and software such as Windows and Microsoft Office
- Current PA Driver’s License in good standing
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.