Title: United Way of Lancaster County P-3 Education Outreach VISTA
Reports to: United Way of Lancaster County VISTA Site Supervisor
AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) engages more than 8,000 individuals annually to support community efforts to overcome poverty. AmeriCorps VISTA members serve full time for a year at nonprofit organizations or local government agencies to build the capacity of these organizations to carry out programs that alleviate poverty.
What do VISTA Members do? A better question may be what doesn't a VISTA member do. VISTA Members...
Recruit and manage volunteers, raise funds, coordinate projects, improve communities, expand their horizons, develop leadership skills, alleviate critical needs, reduce suffering, and become INSPIRATIONS.
Essential Functions of the Job:
United Way of Lancaster County is seeking a VISTA member to build capacity within the Lancaster County P-3 Collaboration to assist children in the county, prenatally to age eight, focusing on children living at or below 300% of the poverty level. The VISTA will aggregate and disseminate best practices across the county, build community awareness of P-3, and work to obtain grants and be a part of funding opportunities for P-3 initiatives.
The VISTA would be responsible for:
- Researching, synthesizing, and disseminating the latest studies and best practices related to P-3 framework implementation and outcomes, STEM and literacy opportunities and connectivity from birth to 3rd grade math, science, and reading proficiency then building a research library that can be used by professionals in the county
- Providing support to the P-3 Partnership Pathways coordinator, housed at Community Action Partnership, in efforts related to countywide replication and expansion of P-3 strategies and activities.
- Promoting outreach and community awareness of countywide P-3 work through social media, blogs, and electronic and print materials
- Researching and assisting in the application of appropriate grants and funding opportunities supporting countywide P-3 initiatives
As P-3 alignment work grows throughout Lancaster County, VISTA responsibilities are projected to evolve accordingly:
- Provide technical assistance to P-3 initiatives applying new research-based approaches and replicating best-practices to ease transition into new models of interventions
- Recruit and liaison with at least one school-district based P-3 initiative to build strategic partnerships
- Continue to promote outreach and awareness with an expanded emphasis on sharing Lancaster’s P-3 work on a regional and/or national level
- Assisting in grant management activities for secured grants and creating materials to track and manage grants easily
- Strong oral and written communication
- Proficient in all Microsoft products
- Experience working with community volunteers and the low-income community
- Ability to work as a team-player
- Ability to obtain PA Clearances to work with children
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.