Title: United Way of Bucks County 2-1-1 Outreach and Food/Furniture Bank Initiative VISTA Member
Reports to: United Way of Bucks County VISTA Site Supervisor
AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) engages more than 8,000 individuals annually to support community efforts to overcome poverty. AmeriCorps VISTA members serve full time for a year at nonprofit organizations or local government agencies to build the capacity of these organizations to carry out programs that alleviate poverty.
What do VISTA Members do? A better question may be what doesn't a VISTA member do. VISTA Members...
Recruit and manage volunteers, raise funds, coordinate projects, improve communities, expand their horizons, develop leadership skills, alleviate critical needs, reduce suffering, and become INSPIRATIONS.
Essential Functions of the Job:
The United Way of Bucks County VISTA project will strengthen the community and bring individuals out of poverty by connecting people in need with the resources they need to improve their lives and living situations. These resources include both goods and services. Through 2-1-1, United Way of Bucks County hopes to connect people to service providers, resources, and human service agencies faster, ensuring that an unmet critical need doesn't magnify into a crisis. Bucks County also has current opportunities to increase donations of household goods and furniture from major retailers, but cannot take advantage of them because of a profound lack of capacity. United Way of Bucks County is in the process of securing a physical location and partnerships to move ahead with the distribution center. The AmeriCorps VISTA would become a part of that process to initiate policies and procedures, start operations, and recruit additional partners or secure additional funding.
United Way of Bucks County is seeking an AmeriCorps VISTA member, whose primary duties will include:
- Gathering and entering data on new services available to assist those living in poverty in Bucks County and entering those resources into a the VisionLink database
- Verifying the accuracy of current information in the VisionLink database
- Assisting the Director of Community Engagement to promote 2-1-1 directly to potential consumers and partner agencies to build community awareness of the service
- Assist in establishing processes and procedures for the distribution center
- Assist in promoting awareness of the distribution center
- Develop relationships with retailers, donors, and partner organizations to both support and utilize the distribution center
The establishment of 2-1-1 and launching a distribution center are new initiatives for United Way of Bucks County. Year one, the VISTA member will primarily be focused on completing initial tasks. For 2-1-1, this will entail becoming trained in the VisionLink system, gathering new data, and verifying existing data. For the distribution center, year one duties will revolve around developing policies and procedures, establishing relationships with retail donors, and creating a system related to obtaining and processing those items that are donated. Both will require that the VISTA build relationships and interface regularly with other human service organizations in Bucks County.
- Strong oral and written communication
- Proficient in all Microsoft products
- Experience working with community volunteers and the low-income community
- Ability to work as a team-player
- Ability to obtain PA Clearances to work with children
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.