THIS IS A TEMPORARY POSITION NOT TO EXCEED THREE (3) MONTHS
In this temporary role you will manage the day-to-day operations of the Office of the General Counsel by providing direct administrative support related to the Office’s legal practice, including managing fiscal affairs, data base management, record keeping, invoice review and processing, and other activities related to the Office’s legal practice.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL DUTIES OF POSITION
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty listed below at a satisfactory level:
- Build, manage and maintain office functions such as budget and fiscal reporting, personnel administration, data base management systems and other areas of responsibility.
- Organize and analyze information and provide related reports and tabulations.
- Compile, proofread and revise drafts of documents, correspondence and reports.
- Provides investigative support of factual situations, including records research, and also gathers information for use in preparation of litigation, claims and other legal matters.
- Daily record keeping with electronic and hard copy filing of documents
- Provide training to new and existing staff to ensure that staff is knowledgeable of current and new office programs and office procedures.
- Ensure retention and filing of legal documents, correspondence and files comply with statutory retention requirements, including committee and board materials, charitable registrations, and ethics and compliance certifications.
- Manage and coordinate the Office of General Counsel contract approval process, including preparation of standard form contracts, maintaining a contracts log, and reporting of legal sufficiency reviews.
- Compose correspondence letters, memoranda, and PowerPoint presentations for attorney’s review and signature as directed by the attorney and occasionally on own initiative for routine sensitive matters.
- Perform the daily fiscal functions involved in the operation of a legal office (e.g., monitoring the processing of invoices, purchases, other expenses) to ensure actual costs of expenditures are captured.
- Develop and administer the department's annual budget and mid-year projections; forecast funds needed for equipment, materials and supplies.
- Ensure that expenditures and cost estimates are adequately documented and monitored; monitor and approve expenditures and implement adjustments.
- Coordinate maintenance of domestic and global trademark docket.
- Schedules appointments and maintains attorney’s calendar; receives and assists clients and refers them to attorney or other appropriate person as circumstances warrant; arranges business itineraries and makes travel arrangements. Independently prepares travel expense reports based on attorney’s receipts and itinerary. Maintains client and administrative files in an organized manner and in accordance with department procedures.
- Preserves and protects the confidences and privileged communications of all clients; may be required to do legal research at attorney’s request. Makes written and oral contacts as necessary to obtain information or to clarify, crosscheck or verify the information needed. Uses initiative and judgment to see those matters requiring attention are handled in a timely manner.
- Greets visitors, screens phone calls and refers callers to appropriate staff member in a professional and courteous manner. Exercises professionalism, poise, and tact in all verbal and written correspondence with internal and external customers. Works collaboratively with other staff members of the United Way Worldwide’s Office of General Counsel.
- Duplicates correspondence and other printed material, sends faxes or arranges for duplicating and/or faxing to be performed; may be asked to cover reception duties.
- Ensure efficient and effective administration information and assistance.
- Other duties as assigned
Minimum requirements include:
- Bachelor’s degree and one-year paralegal experience or any equivalent combination of five years of education and experience.
- Certificate from an ABA-accredited paralegal/legal assistance program preferred
- Experience in a non-profit organization preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of legal principles and practices
- Thorough knowledge of legal research techniques
- Knowledge of legal systems and procedures
- Relevant computer software knowledge and experience
- Analytical thinker with detailed research proficiencies
- Systematic knowledge of database and tracking systems
- Exceptional organizational skills and detailed oriented.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to establish priorities, work under pressure, and adhere to deadlines with minimal supervision
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all required duties, responsibilities and skills. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable disabled individuals to perform the essential functions of the job.
The budgeted salary range for this position is currently $25.00 per hour to $35.00 per hour. Proffered salaries are determined by several factors including applicant’s knowledge, skills, experience, position, equity, and market data.
United Way Worldwide is located in Old Town Alexandria, VA. We offer competitive salary and excellent benefits including: health, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability, employee assistance program, 403(b) plan, tuition assistance, paid time off, family sick leave, medical appointment leave, parental/adoption leave, dress for your day, free parking, onsite gym, monthly volunteering opportunities, and more.
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.