About United Way Fresno and Madera Counties
United Way Fresno and Madera Counties (United Way) is on a mission to mobilize the collective power of community to advance lasting solutions and measurable change for the most urgent issues our neighbors face, particularly focusing on addressing the racial wealth gap for working families. We believe everyone deserves an opportunity to achieve the building blocks of a good life — a quality education, financial stability, and good health — and that expanding this opportunity is both a core objective and a key strategy to fulfilling our mission. We work with hundreds of individuals and organizations that share a vision for what is possible when we UNITE our efforts.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
Reporting to the Interim VP of Operations and Administration, this position is responsible for managing all human resources activities, with an emphasis on recruiting, onboarding, and employee engagement.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Manage hiring process for new positions, at times in collaboration with external recruiting consultants; duties include but are not limited to posting openings, screening resumes, corresponding with candidates, conducting interviews, and arranging interviews with supervisor and hiring team
- Coordinate new employee onboarding activities in collaboration with supervisor and hiring team
- Lead employee engagement activities to proactively foster a collaborative and positive team culture
- Support in the planning of employees events, such as but not limited to monthly staff meetings, holiday gatherings, and staff retreats
- Develop and maintain an inclusive and diverse work culture, while creating opportunities for employees to provide input
- Provide support with employee changes and transitions, when needed
- Lead employee professional development and training by showcasing opportunities, coordinating with employees, and tracking accomplishments
- Manage processes within Paylocity, including employee training and data entry; backup support to payroll processes as needed
- Manage annual performance and development review process
- Responsible for ensuring employee handbook and policies are up-to-date
- Manage and act as primary point of contact for employee benefits and insurance, including new employee enrollment, removal of former employees, open enrollment, and ongoing employee education
- Manage processes related to employee retirement plan administration in coordination with Senior Accountant
- Maintain accurate recordkeeping & employee personnel files
- Manage incoming inquiries and applications to the HR department, and distribute to the appropriate staff member
Knowledge, Skills and Expertise
- HR skills: experience managing an interview process, ability to interview candidates, manage new staff orientation, practical knowledge of employee engagement and retention practices, knowledge of current human resources laws, employee benefits administration.
- Ability to exercise good judgment, manage time effectively to solve problems and take initiative, and respond appropriately to changing circumstances and priorities.
- Ability to maintain the utmost confidentiality in dealing with employee records, personnel files, and business information. Ensure that all files are stored securely.
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships with multiple internal and external individuals.
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills.
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office and cloud-based software such as an HRIS or payroll system.
- Fluency in English required, with strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to multitask and work under tight deadlines in a fast-paced office environment.
- Flexible to change; proven ability to manage multiple high-priority projects and deadlines without compromising quality.
- Understanding of and commitment to the mission, vision, and goals of United Way.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience
- A minimum of 5 years human resources experience
- Preferred: at least 2 years of nonprofit work or volunteer experience
- Preferred: SHRM-CP/PHR certification or completion of HR certificate program
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.