This is a temporary position that will begin in May and end in August of 2019.
The Summer Associate will provide support that helps to advance the work of the Impact Team at United Way Worldwide, especially focused building our capacity to respond to the needs of local United Ways related to their efforts to create positive community change related to education, jobs, health, equity, and deepening community engagement. This includes conducting research on timely education issues, surveying local United Ways (as needed), updating content on United Way’s internet and intranet sites, assisting with communications to local United Ways, supporting events (e.g. webinars, meetings), and creating and posting social media content. This position will report to the Director of Health and work closely with the Senior Director of Impact and Global Results.
- Conduct desktop research on key impact issues including health, early childhood/education, community engagement, approaches to advancing equity, and/or other issues affecting individuals, families, and communities (as assigned).
- Synthesize and organize research for in-person and/or virtual meetings.
- Update content on webpages dedicated to sharing general impact tools and resources, and specific information related to early childhood, education, and community change.
- Assist with producing webinars including - promotions, webinar set-up and online registration, evaluation, and post-webinar follow-up with registrants.
- Provide meeting support, as needed, including – compiling materials, conducting post-meeting follow-up, notetaking, and room set-up.
- Developing and distributing, via United Way social media channels, content that increases general issue awareness and visibility of the work of United Ways in early childhood, education, and community change.
- Assist with other projects as needed.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational, analytical, and research skills
- Attention to detail
- Quick-learner, with a can-do attitude
- Strong teamwork skills to see a project to completion
- Experience creating and/or updating web-based content preferred but not required
- Experience with webinar platforms (e.g. Go to Meeting, WebEx, Adobe) preferred but not required
- College juniors/seniors, graduate students, or recent graduates are strongly encouraged to apply
PERKS TO WORKING WITH UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE:
- Numerous professional development and learning opportunities available
- Chance to meet and work with top nonprofit experts in the country
- Free parking at United Way Worldwide’s parking garage
- Near Braddock Metro Station and several local bus stops
ABOUT UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE:
United Way fights for the health, education, and financial stability of every person in every community. As the largest private nonprofit in the world, United Way’s work effects over 1,800 communities around the globe. We specialize in forming community-led solutions to the world’s toughest problems. Learn more at www.unitedway.org.
United Way Worldwide seeks diverse, qualified professionals who want to make a difference in the world. If you are passionate about your work and desire to help others achieve enhanced education, income, and health, United Way Worldwide is the place for you.
United Way Worldwide is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please e-mail email@example.com or call 703-836-7100, ext. 324 and provide the nature of your request and your contact information.
We are a charter member of Employers of National Service and encourage AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni to apply.
DIVERSITY & INCLUSION STATEMENT OF PRINCIPLE:
United Way Worldwide opposes discrimination of any form as evident in our Diversity and Inclusion Statement of Principle. For more information, read our statement and download the report. We take the broadest possible view of diversity.
We value the visible and invisible qualities that make you who you are.
We welcome that every person brings a unique perspective and experience to advance our mission and progress our fight for the health, education, and financial stability of every person in every community.
We believe that each United Way community member, donor, volunteer, advocate, and employee must have equal access to solving community problems.
We strive to include diversity, equity, and inclusion practices at the center of our daily work.
We commit to using these practices for our business and our communities.
Join us in embracing diversity, equity and inclusion for every person in every community.
Thank you for your interest in employment with United Way Worldwide. You will be contacted if your qualifications are a good match and you are selected for an interview.