The United Way of Carlisle & Cumberland County is a local non-profit serving the Carlisle & Cumberland County area since 1918. United Way of Carlisle & Cumberland County works to address the community’s most pressing needs by providing financial support to 39 local programs operated by 25 non-profit partner agencies. In addition to funding programs, the United Way offers heating assistance, pre-k educational scholarships, discounted medical prescription cards and Success By 6.
Position Title: Success by 6 Director (Part-Time, Approximately 16 hours per week)
Location: United Way of Carlisle & Cumberland County – Carlisle, PA
Reports To: Executive Director
Date: February 19, 2018
The position’s primary responsibilities are administrative in nature and relate to the development of the Success By 6 initiative and making sure children ages birth to six years have access to the highest quality early childhood education and child care regardless of family income. The Success By 6 Director will also work to influence public policy and act as an advocate for issues relating to improvement of the lives of children from birth to six.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Promote public awareness of Success By 6 and the importance of early childhood development with all sectors of the community.
- Lead and facilitate a community-wide effort to improve the lives of young children by coordinating the development of partnerships and problem solving activities among public and private agencies relating to the health and welfare of young children.
- Create and distribute community wide all Kindergarten readiness materials to include: Getting Ready for Kindergarten Calendar, Children Do Come with Directions and other early learning resources.
- Administer Pre-K EITC scholarship program to include: submission of application, approval of centers, management of the waiting list, and distribution of funds for approved families.
- Coordinate and promote all community outreach events to include: Transition to Kindergarten Conference, Book Your Children’s Future, Born Learning Trails, and other high impact initiatives and projects.
- Represent the United Way on volunteer and professional committees. Make periodic presentations at workshops, public forums, board meetings, and media events regarding Success By 6.
- Maintain contact with local government officials and work closely with local human service agencies to influence public policy and act as an advocate for issues relating to improvement of the lives of children from birth to six.
- Prepare articles for the web, social media accounts and e-newsletter.
- Ensure arrangements for meetings, agendas, and minutes are provided.
- Cultivate community support for Success By 6 by initiating and maintaining contacts with individuals, businesses, and organizations.
- Identify and pursue funding opportunities to enhance initiatives, goals and objectives.
Works Closely With:
- Executive Director, Success By 6 Co-Chairs, Advisory Council Members, center directors, school administrators and other community volunteers.
- Marketing Director and Executive Director in the development of Success By 6 marketing materials.
- Finance Director for budgeting and expenditure of designated funds.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in one of the following areas: early childhood, social work, health or human services, or public administration is preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years in management/leadership role.
- Possess an understanding of the local early childhood system in relation to access, quality, coordination, and responsiveness, as well as early childhood best practices and policies.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills, including public relations and public speaking skills.
- Ability to develop good working relationships with staff, volunteers, local employers and businesses.
- Ability to build coalitions, collaborations and partnerships.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines and attend to details.
- Proficient in the Microsoft Windows operating system and extensive internet experience.
- Valid Pennsylvania driver’s license and reliable transportation.
- Must be a team player, able to motivate others, and work well with many types of people to achieve organizational goals.
- Maintain a professional appearance and attitude.
- High degree of professional integrity to deal ethically with confidential information.
- Must embrace United Way’s Core Values and observe our Code of Ethics.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Special events may require several hours of standing and occasional heavy lifting and carrying.
- Some travel to various seminars, conferences, meetings may also be required.