United Way of Central Iowa is seeking a fulltime Strategic Communications Content & Media Specialist to support and advance United Way’s mission of improving lives by strengthening United Way’s reputation and visibility as a community impact leader through proactive and responsive marketing and public relations communication strategies.
The Content & Media Specialist strengthens and maintains the UWCI brand value by ensuring strategic, consistent, and clear messaging in all communications, initiatives, and projects. This position brings United Way of Central Iowa’s work to life through dynamic and compelling human stories and strong copywriting that move and engage our donors, volunteers, community partners, and all central Iowans through an effective formula of emotion and inspiration backed up by facts and statistics.
The Content & Media Specialist understands the science behind good storytelling – from gathering stories in the field to packaging them for a variety of strategic purposes across all channels including through long- and short-form writing, collateral and advertising copywriting, video and audio scripting, social media, press releases, writing live event scripts and talking points, and more. Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply!
United Way of Central Iowa is an established and highly respected nonprofit in the Central Iowa area and the United Way Worldwide network. Employees at UWCI have a passion for the organization’s mission and community impact work and strive to create a positive, inclusive, and welcoming work environment. Our Core Values of Compassion, Integrity, Community Engagement, Responsiveness and Striving for Excellence is the foundation for how we do our work and to reach our aspiration to “Engage Community to Empower All.” In addition to a competitive salary and robust benefits package including health insurance, a dental and vision plan, 401(k) with match and paid life insurance, we offer the following:
- Generous paid vacation plan, holidays, a personal holiday and sick time
- Paid volunteer time off
- Convenient central Des Moines location with free parking
- On-site fitness center
- Tuition Assistance
- Commitment to employee professional development
- A commitment to fostering diversity, equity, and inclusion practices
- Fun monthly opportunities for employees to build camaraderie
- Wellness initiatives
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
• Leads the development of high-quality, compelling, and consistent content for UWCI marketing and communications materials across multiple media including:
o Long-form storytelling
o Inspirational speeches
o Talking points for executive leadership
o Collateral and ad copywriting
o Blog posts
o Video scripts
o Email newsletters
o Email campaigns
o Social platforms
• Ensures all talking points, content, special communication projects and events reflect the desired language of UWCI and key priorities.
• Executes social media marketing, including content review and approval, shared content localization, post scheduling, tracking, and reporting.
• Supports planning and execution of organizational event marketing.
• Executes email marketing, including list curation, asset review and approval, send execution, tracking, and reporting.
• Oversees website management, including content updates, publish and unpublish of landing pages and date-specific content, creation, and review/approval of custom campaign fundraising pages, and more.
• As appropriate to local needs, integrates and implements United Way Worldwide’s branding and messaging within the organization and community via applicable communication media.
• Aligns work and behavior with the United Way of Central Iowa Code of Ethics and Organizational Values.
- Writing & Editing: Ability to create concise, clear content through skilled writing and editing.
- Relationship Skills: Ability to establish and maintain good rapport and relationships with internal partners, external community partners, vendors, and donors.
- Business Acumen: Ability to understand business-related topics and issues.
- Decision Making: Ability to evaluate available information and select an effective suitable course of action using sound judgment.
- Initiative: Ability to quickly take sound action to solve or settle an issue or problem in an efficient and professional manner.
- Time management skills: Ability to achieve desired outcomes by setting goals and priorities that deliver results.
- Communication skills: Ability to send tactful and appropriate verbal messages and listen to others’ response in order to convey information.
- Presentation Skills: Ability to effectively present information to a group.
- Self-motivated: Ability to reach a goal or perform a task with little supervision.
- Analytical Skills: Ability to develop information and raw data into meaningful conclusions.
- Tact: A keen sense of what to say or do to avoid giving offense; skill in dealing with difficult or delicate situations.
- Prefer Bachelor’s Degree or Graduate-level education in journalism, public relations or marketing/communications, or equivalent professional experience.
- 3-5 years’ experience in the field of journalism, content marketing, public relations, communication
- Exceptional writing skills, including a portfolio of published writing pieces for broad and diverse audiences on a variety of topics such as newspaper, magazines, websites, or corporate publications
- Exceptional proofreading and editing skills
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects through to completion in a fast-paced environment including the ability to act decisively and meet tight deadlines
- Ability to manage highly sensitive organization information with discretion
- Proficiency in the following computer skills:
- Experience with internet and website communications and development
- Experience with various social media platforms
- Strong PC skills with knowledge of Microsoft Office products
- Experience with digital marketing platforms (Salesforce Marketing Cloud, etc.) and web-based content management systems like HubSpot
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite desired
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.