United Way of Story County focuses on the areas of Health, Education, and Financial Stability – the building blocks for a good quality of life. Our dedicated team has a strong history of building and fostering partnerships and collaborations that help individuals and families succeed. We understand that in order to create a strong community, all individuals and families must first meet their basic needs: a safe place to live, access to food, and reliable transportation. Sadly, these are not realities for all of our neighbors. Despite low unemployment rates in our area more families than ever are struggling to meet their basic needs.
We understand that individuals and families must be equipped with the skills and resources to help move them toward self-sufficiency, including job training, financial education, and coaching. Past efforts have included financial education and coaching for at-risk women through the Women United program but more could be done to support all low income families. Of special interest for this year of service is gaining an understanding of job training/placement needs of low income families, availability of local job skills training programs and access to employment that provides a livable wage for families in our community.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
United Way of Story County is seeking an individual to contract with as the Coordinator for the Story County College Access Network (SCCAN). This is a contract arrangement only. The Coordinator will utilize a collective impact framework to bring together education, business, government, philanthropy, and non-profit partners in order to provide awareness and coordination among existing resources, identify gaps, and develop solutions that will better prepare individuals for post-secondary educational opportunities and ultimately, careers. Of special interest will be the ability to identify supports and pathways available to low income students, students of color, and first generation college-going students.
The Coordinator will provide strong leadership and coordination to the Story County College Access Network and is responsible for managing the activities of SCCAN in a strategic, efficient, and accountable manner. The Coordinator will average 40 hours weekly.
This contracted position requires an outgoing, dynamic, highly organized and skilled person who has a proven track record in organization, communication, strategic thinking, and being a strong team player. Critical skills include:
- Superior interpersonal, organizational, oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work comfortably with diverse populations.
- Aptitude to multi-task in a fast paced environment.
- Strong foundation in problem solving and research and the ability to share best- practice solutions and strategies.
- Outstanding attention to detail.
- Strong analytical ability; must be able to interpret, report and use data.
- Supervisory or project management experience preferred
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, Outlook, and Power Point.
Please electronically submit a proposal letter, resume, and contact information for references by noon on August 2 to United Way of Story County at email@example.com. For more information, visit www.uwstory.org.
Bachelor’s degree, minimum of two years of experience, preferably in human services, education related field. Strong organizational, project, and time management skills. Ability to meet established deadlines.
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.