About Us: United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley is advancing the common good in our region by providing help today in ways that strengthen tomorrow. Our work ensures that children are ready to learn when they enter school, stay engaged in learning and graduate able to compete, and are nurtured by families that have the financial stability to support both their basic needs and future success. No other single organization has the scope, expertise and influence to bring together hundreds of human services agencies, government, businesses, private foundations and dedicated volunteers around a common vision of creating maximum impact and achieving long-lasting results.
Why United Way? We all want to have the greatest possible impact on our community and the issues that we care about. Join the movement. Through United Way, you unite your hopes and strengths with others to accomplish more than any of us can alone.
STATUS: Internship (unpaid); flexible schedule (2-3 days per week)
POSITION OVERVIEW: This internship is an opportunity to learn the fundamentals of fundraising and building successful donor relationships. This position will support the Stewardship and Leadership Giving team in our efforts to engage individuals and to build relationships with current donors and new prospects. The intern will be learning about and assisting with a variety of projects. Primary responsibilities include: contacting individual supporters and prospects (to set appointments, say thank you, inform them about organizational successes and needs, and to invite them to events). Training will be provided on our data management system. The intern will also have the opportunity be exposed to and learn about our affinity groups and events and, as time allows, provide support to these functions.
Include the following:
- Contacting individual supporters and prospects via phone, email, and handwritten notes. Purpose of contact will vary and include appointment setting as well as thank you communications, inform communications, and event invitations.
- Identify related event opportunities for United Way staff to attend
- Update contact made within individual donor and corporate accounts
- Update event registrations
- Assist with reporting to ensure accountability for Major Donor and New Prospect outreach
- Attend networking events to help initiate new business contact
- High-energy individual with a commitment to excellence and the mission of United Way.
- Effective oral and written communication skills with an ability to work with all levels of the organization, donors, prospects, and volunteers.
- Detail oriented; ability to work with confidential information.
- Working knowledge of MS Office software; ability to search and effectively use the Internet.
Sense of humor.
INTERNSHIP APPLICANTS SHOULD FORWARD A RESUME AND LETTER OF INTEREST TO:
United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley, 51 Sleeper Street, Boston, MA 02210. Fax: 617- 624-9114 email: email@example.com
For information on employment opportunities, please access our website at www.unitedwaymassbay.org